spc
uniqs
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

elefante72 to sivran

to sivran

[Pricing] Re: Here comes the Router rental fee of $4.99

It's not a device that Verizon would support if they go to a paid lease model. I did enquire about 3rd party router in the past, and the company line was verizon supplied and supported Verizon-actiontec only.

Look at the restrictive list that TWC put out when they jacked their modem fees.

I would caution picking these up in anticipation of a paid model, just sayin'. You can get used AT VZ routers pretty cheap, so I think this would be a risky purchase and support is key to your own equipment.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

Huh? Verizon doesn't "support" third party Ethernet routers either so I don't really see much of a difference between MoCA adapter + third party router or Ethernet + third party router. Both configurations are technically unsupported.

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

sivran to elefante72

Premium Member

to elefante72
said by elefante72:

It's not a device that Verizon would support if they go to a paid lease model. I did enquire about 3rd party router in the past, and the company line was verizon supplied and supported Verizon-actiontec only.

Look at the restrictive list that TWC put out when they jacked their modem fees.

I would caution picking these up in anticipation of a paid model, just sayin'. You can get used AT VZ routers pretty cheap, so I think this would be a risky purchase and support is key to your own equipment.

I don't particularly care if their phone reps have my device (whatever I may get) on their list, so long as it actually works. My goal is to free myself from the Actiontec router, which I dislike. Nabbing one off ebay would not be a very good way to go about that. I don't (or rather, very soon won't) have any STBs to support, either, so I don't need it for that.

This news of a potential rental fee for a router I don't even like is just one more reason for me to hurry up and do something about it, be it run the ethernet myself (yeah, right, attic access is difficult through there), upgrade to a high enough tier that Verizon does it for me (probably too expensive), or purchase a MOCA WAN adapter.