Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

daghis
Premium
join:2004-07-22
Canonsburg, PA

[Channels] Local-only package discontinued

I currently have the locals-only package. I was calling to find out about adding internet service to this FiOS service and I was told that the locals-only package has been discontinued and that in order to add internet, I'd have to upgrade to Select or higher.

I had been under the impression that the FCC mandated that cable companies had to offer a locals-only package to customers. I guess this isn't actually the case?

I'm bummed that it'll cost more to add internet service than what I was expecting.

Onedollar

join:2001-08-27
Pomona, CA
kudos:6
Its still available as standalone. Cannot be bundled.

daghis
Premium
Canonsburg, PA
It doesn't look like it's even available standalone around here. When I go to change my services on the web site, I no longer see it as an option to select. It was there a few weeks ago.

Onedollar

Pomona, CA
Its buried in the .com site. Was able to do it as a new customer, tv + 15/5 for 60

Onedollar

Pomona, CA
Standalone local tv = 13 bux

daghis
Premium
Canonsburg, PA
reply to Onedollar
You're right... when I go to sign up for service as a new customer, I can select "FiOS TV Local" for $12.99, and the package will even give me a $2.99 credit.

As an existing customer (using a different part of the Verizon web site), however, I can't select a local package.

guppy_fish
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Lakeland, FL
kudos:3
reply to daghis
I notice this today as well, as an existing customer, there not putting up the option for local only on there configurations, I assumed it meant you now have to call in to get it

JPL
Premium
join:2007-04-04
Downingtown, PA
kudos:4
reply to daghis
By the law they have to offer it. You may have to call to get it, but they have to give it to you.

bohratom
Jersey Shore is back again.

join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ

1 edit
reply to daghis
Lots of strange stuff happening online for renewing contracts as in Jersey now it no longer shows that HBO and Showtime are included for a triple plays online. Not sure if new customers still receive it but I was checking latest prices for renewing online and noticed it. I guess the perks we use to have in the NYC area are a thing of the past..