IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
join:2003-07-06
Hampton Bays, NY
kudos:7

Alienware 18

Click for full size
I'm about to purchase this with the current custom configuration selected (hardware maxed out from selections on the website).
Would like some input/suggestions on it before i finalize the purchase.
I've read many reviews on the internet.
Thanks !
--
Suffolk County NY Police Feed - »www.scpdny.com
PS3 Gaming Feed - »www.livestream.com/elitedata

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

I've heard Alienware is crap ever since Dell took them over. If you are dropping that much dough, I would look at a nicer option, like FalconNW.

And does it absolutely have to be a laptop? What about a mini ITX build for portability?
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
reply to IllIlIlllIll

Is that a haswell based cpu? if buying a non-2011 socket system I'd aim to haswell just because.
--
semper idem
1KTzRMxN1a2ATrtAAvbmEnMBoY3E2kHtyv

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
Hampton Bays, NY
reply to Krisnatharok

said by Krisnatharok:

I've heard Alienware is crap ever since Dell took them over. If you are dropping that much dough, I would look at a nicer option, like FalconNW.

I'll check into that, thanks !
said by Krisnatharok:

And does it absolutely have to be a laptop? What about a mini ITX build for portability?

I do prefer laptop for "everything is portable & complete" factor.
--

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
Hampton Bays, NY
reply to DarkLogix

said by DarkLogix:

Is that a haswell based cpu? if buying a non-2011 socket system I'd aim to haswell just because.

not sure on that one.
i have dropped out of the nerd i used to be when i was younger since i have gotten older.
this is the current CPU it has.
»ark.intel.com/products/75128/Int···3_70-GHz
--

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

Looks like haswell to me.

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
Hampton Bays, NY
reply to Krisnatharok

Click for full size
downloaddocument.pdf 111,285 bytes
Krisnatharok See Profile
here is the maxed out configuration for the Falcon DRX laptop.
approximately 4 weeks to build.
opinions ?
--

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
reply to IllIlIlllIll

Dual 780's for a little tiny 17" 1080p screen.

God, what a damn waste of money.

Too bad you need a laptop. Because for 4 grand, you could be gaming on a 1440p multi monitor setup instead.

Gundy
Premium
join:2002-10-29

said by Ghastlyone:

Too bad you need a laptop. Because for 4 grand, you could be gaming on a 1440p multi monitor setup instead.

I was just going to post the same thing, 6k for a 17'' screen. Snap.
--
| Im not really a ego maniac im just really good at what I do... |

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
reply to IllIlIlllIll

What is it with people wanting laptops for gaming, I don't see the logic in it. Heat HAS to be a major problem. I've seen a multitude of laptops that have failed due to overheating gaming video cards inside cramped laptops.

If you want to game, built a good box yourself, if you want portability, use an affordable lappy for that. With 6 grand you could have both systems.

OP, is this what you really need? What about putting together a nice desktop expressly for gaming and on the occasion you need to bring it elsewhere, say for lanparties, choose a lanparty type case (case with handle). Why for Heaven's sake would you use dual graphics cards for a tiny laptop screen?

It's your money, but don't you want the most you can get for it?
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV

I'm all for getting a laptop for some casual gaming here and there. $1000 maybe $1200?

But $4,000? lol

My god, you can build the baddest gaming desktop ever for that amount.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

1 recommendation

reply to signmeuptoo

said by signmeuptoo:

What is it with people wanting laptops for gaming, I don't see the logic in it.

I travel frequently for work, and taking a box and monitor on a plane is a non-starter from the get-go.

Thus, my pathetic little 15" i7-2670QM Sandy Bridge with a GTX 560M. If I had to do it again I'd have paid the extra $300-400 for the 580M or Radeon 6990M-whatever. It gets the job done for the evenings in the hotel. Saves me a bundle over getting drunk with coworkers at the bar and possibly saying thing I'm bound to hear repeated at work.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle

Interesting point. So yeah, there will be reasons for a laptop, I see that thanks to you, but spending 6 grand on one? And two video cards? I thought you only needed 2 video cards if you were running a high resolution? And what about heat damage, I'm already worried about dust collecting in my very humble 500 dollar Lenovo and damaging it.

If you want a super system, don't you want a desktop for that, I'm confused here.
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
reply to Ghastlyone

said by Ghastlyone:

My god, you can build the baddest gaming desktop ever for that amount.

Well you can get close, and if you weed out extra cores that gaming won't use then ya you could.

I know I spent about 5k on my desktop a few years ago and that wasn't enough to get to the real top of the top
--
semper idem
1KTzRMxN1a2ATrtAAvbmEnMBoY3E2kHtyv

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
reply to signmeuptoo

For 6k I'd build a sweet mining rig

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle
reply to IllIlIlllIll

I suppose I'm lucky that I'm lousy at gaming and as such, don't care too much about it, only fascinated with the technology behind it, since my budget isn't in the park.

A question for the OP: Why go with Windows 7, when 8.1 is already out and 9 is coming, when, next year? Sure, maybe you are like me and have lots of complaints about it, but still, investing in an aging operating system license while getting a cutting edge system could bring disappointments, unexpected ones, over time.

Back to the laptop decision: I guess what I really mean to say is, do you realize that it can cost significantly more for the same horsepower if it's in a laptop, so, considering that, do you still want a laptop, or rather, is money no object?

Maybe talking ABOUT budget and spending ceiling, and specific games and programs and tasks might help others talk with you. Not me, I'm not qualified, but those are often things others ask for when called upon for help.
--

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

Win 8 is crap, even MS has admitted it

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle

I have listed numerous complaints of my own about it, believe me, but choosing an aging operating system also brings issues, sometimes unexpected issues. I don't want to derail the thread by starting a discussion on the merits of the operating system, just want to bring up the considerations there might be to using a dated OS, because if the OP is gonna spend 6 grand, we needs to be carefuls here, right? But you get no argument from me, DL.
--

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
Hampton Bays, NY
reply to signmeuptoo

money isnt an issue at this point.
i have used windows 8 and while it is nice, i still prefer windows 7 ultimate and will stick to that.
on my older gateway P7805U laptop (didnt care for the high res display at the time) i still use to this day, i have two hard disks, one boots windows xp pro 32bit and the other boots windows 7 ultimate 64bit.
i need the power of a desktop but in a portability factor as a laptop.
processing and video power being important factors.
--

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
Hampton Bays, NY
reply to signmeuptoo

it wont be entirely used for gaming.
there will be many other uses but it will be used from time to time to display, present and edit 4K video on a 4K 85 inch OLED monitor.
--

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
Hampton Bays, NY

1 edit
reply to signmeuptoo

i agree about a laptop with heat dissipation issues.
the gateway P7805U i have had and still use since 2008, the day i purchased it, i have modified and improved the cooling system for better heat transfer and further made modifications later on that allow me to easily clean dust build up without having to disassemble the laptop in order to clean it.
additionally, i have purchased an extra replacement fan for the CPU and GPU in the event that they decide to quit but so far, neither has as of yet.
i plan on performing the same modifications (if deemed necessary) on a new laptop.
as far as the short lived battery power, i am not that concerned about that since i consider it a feature, to provide uninterrupted use for a short time until power is restored or you shut the laptop down.
--

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
Hampton Bays, NY
reply to Gundy

said by Gundy:

said by Ghastlyone:

I was just going to post the same thing, 6k for a 17'' screen. Snap.

one major use will be on a 4K 85 inch OLED monitor.
--

bigmoneybaby

@optonline.net
reply to IllIlIlllIll

If your really buying a 6k laptop I envy you lol...

The only thing I would say, look at a cheaper config, upgrade again sooner... put aside the 6k spend 3 now 3 later

I remember I got in the p4 days a 3k dell laptop, worked perfect for games and the like...

Started wishing later I had gone cheaper and then upgraded sooner...

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle
reply to IllIlIlllIll

Ok, thanks for answering the questions, but what modifications to a laptop? Do you mean drilling holes in it, I just don't understand, what can you change in a gaming laptop?

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
Hampton Bays, NY

3 edits

Click for full size
GPU fan before orifice modification to P7805U
said by signmeuptoo:

Ok, thanks for answering the questions, but what modifications to a laptop? Do you mean drilling holes in it, I just don't understand, what can you change in a gaming laptop?

i dont have pictures of the modifications so ill do my best to describe.
removed, cleaned and replaced heat contact grease for GPU & CPU.
the fan intake orifices for the GPU & CPU on the bottom of the laptop have small tiny rectangular "slants" between them for air intake, i dont quite like this as it is restrictive on intake, gets clogged and allows fine particles to enter and over time, collect and clump together at the heat sink "fins" where it eventually clogs up and prevents air exhaust.
trying to remove this buildup is difficult since blowing it out with air wont work, theres no place for the built up particle clumps to go, it cant pass through the heat sink "fins" and it cant pass through the rectangular "slants".
you have to disassemble the laptop to clean the orifices and remove the buildup.
removing the rectangular "slants" on the bottom of the laptop and allowing it to be completely open allows the particle clumps to exit the orifice when blown out with air on the exhaust side and allows more air to enter with less fan effort.
the disadvantage to this is larger objects/particles can now be sucked up into the orifice which is not an issue for me since any area i place the laptop down on is cleaned first.
the exhaust areas for the GPU & CPU orifices do not have the same tiny rectangular "slants" as the intake, they are much larger and dont affect air flow at all.
if you own the P7805U, you understand exactly what i mean.
just about every laptop suffers from this issue where over time, there is a buildup of clumped fine dust particles on the heat sink "fins" at the exhaust that cannot be removed without disassembling the laptop.
the attached picture shows an attempt to try and blow the clump out from either direction of the GPU fan (intake/exhaust) before disassembly and removal (cooling was very poor, temps started getting high), all this did was loosen it up and prevent the fan from operating at all.
what is not seen is the remaining clump on the heat sink itself (its covered by the fan).
also, this laptop has been on 24/7 since 2008.
while it is understood that laptops are not meant to be powered on 24/7 for this reason, you could theoretically do this if you provide more than ample air flow with little fan effort (less air restriction = less wear on the fans) and provide the ability to easily clean the orifices and heat sinks with little effort.
ill try and attach a picture of the bottom of the laptop if its requested (lazy right now)
--

Omega
Displaced Ohioan
Premium
join:2002-07-30
Denver, CO

1 recommendation

reply to IllIlIlllIll

What a waste of money.

There are plenty of alternatives from other laptop manufacturers. You are paying for the Alienware brand. I guarantee you could find similar hardware spaces for half the price.
--
What smells like blue?

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback

2 edits

I think for the price, plastic casing is a rip off.
Alienware is not one of my favorites as mentioned above either.

I know people have posted around about customized laptops and found this site, maybe there are others:
»www.digitalstormonline.com/gamin···d=850613

Or:
»www.m-techlaptops.com/ShopOnline···egory=78
With a Xeon cpu.

Or:
»www.sagernotebook.com/index.php?···NP9390-S

You might want to do a little more digging if you are going to spend that money.
Even something like toughbook or at least a laptop with MIL-STD-810G specs might be worth looking at for strength:
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIL-STD-810
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to DarkLogix

said by DarkLogix:

Win 8 is crap, even MS has admitted it

But is a night-and-day difference over Win7 for BF4. There is no competition.
--

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle

OH? I don't game really, I'm interested in hearing more on this.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

Win7 has really bad choppiness. Win8 has about a 5% FPS improvement, but also smooths out all the choppiness present. I upgraded to 8.1 just because of that game. Night and day difference.
--