share rss forum feed

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
kudos:1

[Carpentry] Coffee table cutout for glass

I was wondering if this was possible. store does not have a coffee table I want with a glass insert is it possible to cut a opening for the glass? Just trying to decide if it's worth the effort or not.

Was thinking about using this for the glass

»www.dullesglassandmirror.com/

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada

[Carpentry] Re: Coffee table cutout for glass

Depends on the table you want to modify, and how handy you are...

Will the table still be strong enough after the opening is cut?

Mechanically, it's cutting a rectangle hole, then using a router to cut a small lip for the tempered glass to sit on... NBD. As long as the table is suitable.

dandelion
Premium,MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Subaru
Am a little confused what you mean by insert.. i.e. some tables have an indentation that you lay the glass in, I haven't had many of those but have had quite a few tables with glass added to them. Simply make an exact copy using cardboard of the table top, go to any glass place and pick what kind of glass you wish to cover the table top with. Any local glass company can help.

If you are talking of a simply glass coffee table.. not glass covering it would be best to order one online if the store doesn't have it.
--
Spare computer cycles can help find answers
Find A Cure!

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to LazMan
The coffee table is solid pine, I figured using a router to cut a lip for the glass, what do you suggest for making the cutout however?

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to dandelion
said by dandelion:

Am a little confused what you mean by insert.. i.e. some tables have an indentation that you lay the glass in, I haven't had many of those but have had quite a few tables with glass added to them. Simply make an exact copy using cardboard of the table top, go to any glass place and pick what kind of glass you wish to cover the table top with. Any local glass company can help.

If you are talking of a simply glass coffee table.. not glass covering it would be best to order one online if the store doesn't have it.

Talking about the table where the glass lays flush with the table, i'm sure you have seen those type, and not the type with a beveled glass.
--
It's NOT Ni-kon It's NE-KON!

LG is NOT Lifes Good It's Lucky Goldstar!

cowboyro
Premium
join:2000-10-11
Shelton, CT
reply to Subaru
said by Subaru:

The coffee table is solid pine, I figured using a router to cut a lip for the glass, what do you suggest for making the cutout however?

Sawzall? And then clean the edges with the router.

LazMan
Premium
canada
reply to Subaru
I'd probably use a small circular saw with a fine blade - and a straight edge or guide - then a jigsaw to finish the corners...

dandelion
Premium,MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast

2 recommendations

reply to Subaru
I have.. honestly I prefer the glass on top of the table versus laying flush. Any drinking glass spilled easily gets under that glass and can cause damage though it looks nicer that way. A nice beveled one laid on top is a little more accident friendly.. just my opinion. Good luck with your project!

Trimox

join:2012-09-24
Anywhere
reply to Subaru
Both cowboyro and LazMan have it, but just to add something laying masking tape down and drawing your cut lines on them will reduce chipping. Also make sure you have a bearing or stop base on your router to finish (but I'm sure you knew that).

mityfowl
Premium
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX

1 recommendation

reply to Subaru
That's a lot of work for a guy who asks if you need to be handy.

Also you have to have a custom cut piece of glass made. $$

Icarus
CHAOS RULES
Premium,Mod
join:2000-11-08
Off Center
said by mityfowl:

Also you have to have a custom cut piece of glass made. $$

Tempered glass.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
How about laminated glass to be safe, won't have kids around so the risk of glad breaking would be much less.

LazMan
Premium
canada
No, you want tempered glass...

A local glass shop should have no problems. Tell them what you want it for, they'll set you up with the right stuff.

I'd also wait until you had the glass in your hands before cutting the table, so you get a perfect fit... You'll want to leave probably an 1/8" or so for expansion/contraction, though; not a snug fit.

battleop

join:2005-09-28
reply to cowboyro
You will never get perfect lines with one. A router, jigsaw, or small circular saw is the correct tool with the proper guide. I would rough cut it with a jig saw and true it up with a router.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
reply to Subaru

Re: [Carpentry] Coffee table cutout for glass

Why can't you find a table built like you want it? The glass will not be cheap and there is no way to make a nice finished cut to insert it. The way you want to cut it is not how they are made if they have glass on the top. The design is different.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to Subaru
the table top size of the coffee table is:

Length: 35 3/8 "
Width: 35 3/8 "

moldypickle

join:2009-01-04
Haughton, LA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
Get a quote on the glass before you go any further. I just had to have a grommet hole cut in a piece of glass already owned and got hit for almost $900. Not sure why it was that high, but neither here nor there.

If it's solid pine all through the coffee table, then you'll also need to stain and reseal the cutout once you're done.

Would also recommend a bead of clear silicone for the glass insert
--
50/3 Suddenlink : Current
5/1 CMA : Old
15/2 TWC : Old

bkjohnson
Premium
join:2002-05-22
Birmingham, AL
reply to Subaru
For info, if it helps. Just had a piece of tempered glass cut for a table top 65 inches by 24 inches- Cost $95.

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2
reply to moldypickle
said by moldypickle:

Get a quote on the glass before you go any further

I don't remember if it was a coffee table, but it was something similar that my wife and I wanted to replace a piece of glass and the glass itself was in excess of $100. Part of me suspects the places (I checked two places) thinks you're in a bind and have to have it and can charge what they want.

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-23
there
reply to Subaru
My understanding is that when you want a chunk of tempered glass, they take normal glass, cut it, and then have it tempered.

In other words, there is a little more to the process than just cutting a piece of glass.
--

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to moldypickle
Well I don't want the whole top to be glass, I don't know which size would be right for a table that size.

Trimox

join:2012-09-24
Anywhere
reply to Cho Baka
Cho Baka is correct.
You can not cut tempered glass.

»www.wikihow.com/Cut-Tempered-Glass

I would call that expensive.

bkjohnson
Premium
join:2002-05-22
Birmingham, AL
Reviews:
·Charter
Agreed that it cannot be cut. In my earlier post I said that I had a piece of tempered glass cut. I should have said that I ordered a piece of tempered glass for a table top, as the glass was cut and then tempered, which process took a few days from order to delivery. Tempered glass is much safer for table tops.

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
said by bkjohnson:

Tempered glass is much safer for table tops

Unless it's in a window, most glass (for tabletops, shelves, TV stands, etc) are going to be tempered, I suspect.

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
reply to Subaru
said by Subaru:

Well I don't want the whole top to be glass, I don't know which size would be right for a table that size.

Post a picture of the table. A coffee table probably isn't big enough to leave a wood (?) border and then a smaller, glass insert unless that border is ~2-3".

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to Subaru
Click for full size
Picture of the table

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
When (if) you cut out an opening, how will you paint the exposed "wood" ? It will likely end up rather rough and you'll have to sand it fairly smooth. Then it will need painted...

I say get a piece that's the same size as the top.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
Only thing is the legs are supported by the table top, it can't be that bad to sand and stain the wood. I'm going to do a few mock up's of how big I want the glass.

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
Is it real wood or particle board ?

Rigor_M

join:2010-09-26
Quebec, QC
reply to Subaru
remember that if you use a router to make the lip that will hold the glass, the corners will be round.. no matter what king of bit you use. I suggest you use a corner chisel to make a perfect 90 degree corner.. or you could ask the vendor to make round corners but you need to know the bit's radious etc...

I did what you're asking on may router table.. made a hole, then a lip for the insert.

mesure twice, tree times even... you only get 1 chance at a good cut.

Good luck