AsherN
Premium Member
join:2010-08-23
Thornhill, ON

AsherN to Subaru

Premium Member

to Subaru

Re: [Carpentry] Coffee table cutout for glass

How thick is that top? It may not be thick enough for a lip and a suitable piece of glass.

fluffybunny
@cipherkey.com

fluffybunny to Subaru

Anon

to Subaru
not worth the hassle. use a transparent glass glue and just glue the glass to the table.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Subaru to Hall

Premium Member

to Hall
said by Hall:

Is it real wood or particle board ?

solid wood
dick white
Premium Member
join:2000-03-24
Springfield, VA

dick white

Premium Member

said by Subaru:

said by Hall:

Is it real wood or particle board ?

solid wood

Are you sure? A piece that wide is not likely solid, though it may be glued up from narrower strips. If so, you will see an exact match of the strips/grain patterns and the glue lines on the top and bottom sides of the tabletop. More likely it is a wide piece of veneer that is finished to match the rest of the piece (and that's what it looks like in the picture, but you can look closer). Generally, such panels are veneered on both faces to enhance dimensional stability, though the underside may use a lower quality flitch. In such a case, the edges will also be veneered, and this will be evident because the 2 edges that should be endgrain, based on the surface grain orientation, will be long grain. Now we have to deal with the substrate. Two typical possibilities are MDF (effectively very fine particle board) or lumber-core plywood. The issue that I think we are trying to point out here is what is the quality of the cut-out edge going to be? If you cut through the veneer and expose the MDF substrate, you will need to address that as you refinish it so you don't have a crappy looking edge on the wood underneath the edge of the glass insert. This should not be a deal breaker, just something you need to work with.

dw

Rigor_M
join:2010-09-26
Quebec, QC

1 recommendation

Rigor_M to Subaru

to Subaru
Actually, that look to be a 3/4" think top.. looking at the top pattern. seems to be pine.

It looks think because of the picture angle.. maybe a closer picture showing the thinkness would help..

any how.. if its a 3/4" and you use a 1/4" (5mm) think glass, that leaves a 1/2 lip.. on a soft wood like pine, I would not go more than 20" x 20" size glass.. remember that you will put stuff on it.. its a table after all

If you do decide to make the cut, take the scrap piece to your local big box store and try to match a close a possible some paint.. for the inner lip

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

All my coffee tables I've had never had rounded corners for the glass I will get a closer picture.

Rigor_M
join:2010-09-26
Quebec, QC

Rigor_M

said by Subaru:

All my coffee tables I've had never had rounded corners for the glass I will get a closer picture.

its easier to square up wood that to round up glass

but if you use a router to make the lip, no matter how small the bit you use,, il will endup with a small round corner. that is why I said to use a corner chisel or hand chisel if you feel adventurous

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx to dandelion

Premium Member

to dandelion

Re: [Carpentry] Re: Coffee table cutout for glass

said by dandelion:

I have.. honestly I prefer the glass on top of the table versus laying flush. Any drinking glass spilled easily gets under that glass and can cause damage though it looks nicer that way. A nice beveled one laid on top is a little more accident friendly.. just my opinion. Good luck with your project!

This. We used to have a coffee table with inset glass, and the gap around the perimeter of the glass is a spill/dirt/gunk trap that's a pain to clean.

Beezel
join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV

Beezel

said by djrobx:

said by dandelion:

I have.. honestly I prefer the glass on top of the table versus laying flush. Any drinking glass spilled easily gets under that glass and can cause damage though it looks nicer that way. A nice beveled one laid on top is a little more accident friendly.. just my opinion. Good luck with your project!

This. We used to have a coffee table with inset glass, and the gap around the perimeter of the glass is a spill/dirt/gunk trap that's a pain to clean.

We had tables like those growing up. You just pushed the glass from the bottom to remove the glass and wipe the lip.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

Re: [Carpentry] Coffee table cutout for glass

I've never seen a coffee table with the glass on top? I don't understand.. What is that laying the glass right on top of the wood?

stevek1949
We're not in Kansas anymore
Premium Member
join:2002-11-13
Virginia Beach, VA

1 recommendation

stevek1949 to Subaru

Premium Member

to Subaru
The "lip" is also known as a rabbet. There are many articles available. The router should have a rabbet bit installed. The corners will still be round and will need to be squared up using a sharp chisel. Here is a link to start with:

»www.woodworkingtalk.com/ ··· e-39828/

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium Member
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand

Coma to Subaru

Premium Member

to Subaru
said by Subaru:

I've never seen a coffee table with the glass on top? I don't understand.. What is that laying the glass right on top of the wood?

Yes . . .

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

Another question does it being pine wood make any difference?
Subaru

Subaru

Premium Member

Word has it that pine wood is hard to work with at least to get a smooth edge.

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium Member
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand

Coma

Premium Member

Depends on the type of pine you are working with, as their are over 100 species of pine, all with different characteristics.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

said by Coma:

Depends on the type of pine you are working with, as their are over 100 species of pine, all with different characteristics.

Did not know that hmm...