Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Subaru to dandelion

Premium Member

to dandelion

[Carpentry] Re: Coffee table cutout for glass

said by dandelion:

Am a little confused what you mean by insert.. i.e. some tables have an indentation that you lay the glass in, I haven't had many of those but have had quite a few tables with glass added to them. Simply make an exact copy using cardboard of the table top, go to any glass place and pick what kind of glass you wish to cover the table top with. Any local glass company can help.

If you are talking of a simply glass coffee table.. not glass covering it would be best to order one online if the store doesn't have it.

Talking about the table where the glass lays flush with the table, i'm sure you have seen those type, and not the type with a beveled glass.

dandelion
MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN

2 recommendations

dandelion

MVM

I have.. honestly I prefer the glass on top of the table versus laying flush. Any drinking glass spilled easily gets under that glass and can cause damage though it looks nicer that way. A nice beveled one laid on top is a little more accident friendly.. just my opinion. Good luck with your project!
Trimox
join:2012-09-24
Anywhere

Trimox to Subaru

to Subaru
Both cowboyro and LazMan have it, but just to add something laying masking tape down and drawing your cut lines on them will reduce chipping. Also make sure you have a bearing or stop base on your router to finish (but I'm sure you knew that).

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx to dandelion

Premium Member

to dandelion
said by dandelion:

I have.. honestly I prefer the glass on top of the table versus laying flush. Any drinking glass spilled easily gets under that glass and can cause damage though it looks nicer that way. A nice beveled one laid on top is a little more accident friendly.. just my opinion. Good luck with your project!

This. We used to have a coffee table with inset glass, and the gap around the perimeter of the glass is a spill/dirt/gunk trap that's a pain to clean.

Beezel
join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV

Beezel

said by djrobx:

said by dandelion:

This. We used to have a coffee table with inset glass, and the gap around the perimeter of the glass is a spill/dirt/gunk trap that's a pain to clean.

We had tables like those growing up. You just pushed the glass from the bottom to remove the glass and wipe the lip.