dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
alpovs
join:2009-08-08

alpovs

Where is NID (demarc) in an apartment building?

Where is NID (demarc) in an apartment building? I am skipping work and sitting at home waiting for dry-loop DSL install for the second(!) time. Dry-loop is from Start and involves two technicians. The building manager told me that the box with telephone wires is downstairs in the laundry room. I was told by Start that the Bell technician completed his/her work (never knocked at my door) with notes that the other technician should go to the laundry room. The other technician (I believe Telecon) refuses to go there saying that that's Bell territory and the demarc is in my apartment. So, they conveniently blame each other and my line is not live.

What is a general opinion about the location of demarc in an apartment building?

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz

MVM

Your demarc would be in your apartment. For many people, it's one of their phone jacks (the first one in the wiring sequence). For others, they have an actual Bell demarc box somewhere. Assuming you're getting VDSL2 service, the second technician is correct. It makes no sense to install the POTS splitter in the wiring closet like the Bell tech said.
alpovs
join:2009-08-08

alpovs

said by Guspaz:

Assuming you're getting VDSL2 service

No, I am getting 15/1 ADSL2+.
alpovs

alpovs

I got this resolved. The Telecon technician was right. Bell never dispatched a technician to my location. They just connected my line at the CO. The Telecon technician opened a ticket with Bell because my line was dead. The Bell technician came after-hours surprising me. He found out that the wrong wires were connected in two places - downstairs and at the CO. And it was obviously not Telecon technician's job. The Telecon technician said this situation happens quite often and the end customers often blame them because they never see Bell technicians.

I wonder whose idea it was to send two technicians for dry-loop install. I remember, long time ago dry-loop install involved only one Bell technician.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to alpovs

MVM

to alpovs
Bell talked the CRTC into it for FTTN installs. The sole purpose of it is to add unnecessary extra costs to wholesalers.