spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Chubbzie

@suddenlink.net

[Speed] Erratic and inconsistent download speeds 107/5 in Greenville, NC

I've had the 50/3 service up until today & it has always been rock solid. Long story short, after reading gatorkram's post I decided to get the 107/5 service. Had the order put in yesterday and had a tech drop by this morning and made some calls to get the 50/3 bumped to the 107/5. After getting the modem provisioned for the new speeds & resetting modem/network equipment my upload speeds have been flawless & constantly sustained.

However my download throughput is highly erratic & never reaches full speeds. I checked the power levels on my 6120 & they do not fluctuate & are the same as before the upgrade. Here are a few example speed tests I've run:

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium
join:2002-07-22
Winterville, NC
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

Stop hogging all my bandwidth with your speed tests

Lets hope it gets better when they upgrade to 8 channel bonding on the downstream. You might want to get a new modem now that supports 8/4 bonding, and be ready.

I've had mine for some time now. I have the 6180, which I think is like cable company surplus, as I got it on amazon pretty cheap.

It really does come down to the limitations of the available channels and how much bandwidth each channel can carry, and of course how many people are sharing those channels.

I don't know the docsis3 spec off the top of my head, but I think its about 36mbit max per channel giving us 144mbit total for everyone on the node.
--
What the heck is a GatorKram? »www.gatorkram.com

moldypickle

join:2009-01-04
Haughton, LA
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

The node can have more channels than your modem can connect to, it's not a standard issue that has your node limited, but a hardware/software that is installed limitation. SL or the cmts itself can actually decide which channel group you connect to, assuming that there are more than 4 channels physically running. With the modulation we use we can have ~42 megs per channel downstream and there is no limit on the number of channels that are allowed to be bonded. 4x gets to ~170 megs and 8x gets to ~340 megs (maximum speeds).

If you actually understand the hardware requirements and how the standards work in DOCSIS, it becomes more clear when we talk about how nodes get oversold or saturated and that it's just an inherit issue with the technology versus the company budget. It's actually really interesting stuff (if you don't get into too many of the Cisco engineer papers!)
--
50/3 Suddenlink : Current
5/1 CMA : Old
15/2 TWC : Old

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium
Winterville, NC
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

I am interested in how it all works. I remember making a post quite some time ago, about a modem that could bond I think 24 channels down, and 8 up...

I wish they'd just get rid of TV, and make it all digital packets, and open up the whole system to bandwidth channels.

Then if you aren't watching TV you could have even more bandwidth for your internet, and when you are, fine, it has less for internet but hey you are watching TV right then anyway.

The way I understand it, right now, sooooo much bandwidth is wasted on channels no one is watching, because the way TV works now is it's "always on" per say, so that bandwidth is being wasted.
I guess I mean digital radio spectrum in the case of how TV is working now on most cable systems..

Anyway, yeah, they talk about how cable can't keep up with fiber, well sure, maybe bandwidth to bandwidth they can't but copper isn't dead by a long shot, and if they'd get rid of the old tv system and convert to all digital there could be lots more bandwidth for internet imo.
--

moldypickle

Haughton, LA
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

When talking about all this, you have to take into account the age of a lot of the plants still out there, so their hardware just doesn't have the capacity of newer stuff.

That aside, there are some companies going to switched channels, like Comcast, and that requires that any tv that wants cable tv needs some form of a stb to be able to grab the channel you select. Depending on each market individually, it may or may not open up a large swath of channels. It'd be the same trade off the internet of cable has now, the company needs to provide enough extra space to allow peak demand or you'll have people not able to retrieve channels. I think a full ip system works different in that the whole plant is used for data and the tv is just transmitted as data also, so it's taking up your bandwidth, but not a dedicated chunk on the whole system (Fios style tv). But to switch all the hardware over to all data, it'd be a ridiculously pricey project as they'd be basically replacing everything but the wire. Also add the price of every tv needing a box too.
--

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium
Winterville, NC
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

This is a pretty basic explanation I just found : »www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/···ess/1816
--

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium
Winterville, NC
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

Some of this stuff makes me drool. »www.aurora.com/site/solutions.an?li=s-res

They make a lot of equipment it seems, for HFC.
--

Cabal
Premium
join:2007-01-21
reply to Chubbzie

Personally, I would just downgrade to whatever tier can be supported at all hours and save a few bucks. 50 Mbps?
--
If you can't open it, you don't own it.

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium
Winterville, NC
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

said by Cabal:

Personally, I would just downgrade to whatever tier can be supported at all hours and save a few bucks. 50 Mbps?

Don't invade the topic with logic...eww

As a reply to your post though, it doesn't address the issue of them selling a service it doesn't seem they can support..yet

Maybe they wanted to see how many people would find out about 107 being available all of a sudden, to see if they should invest more money to make it all work well...

Who knows..
--

moldypickle

Haughton, LA
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to gatorkram

said by gatorkram:

This is a pretty basic explanation I just found : »www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/···ess/1816

Basic Docsis explanation, though there are some generalizations in there >.
said by gatorkram:

the issue of them selling a service it doesn't seem they can support

Don't forget the nifty "up to" in there, rofl
--

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium
Winterville, NC
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

"You can pay $25 a month extra, for 2mbit more upstream speeds, and hey, upto almost more than the 50mbit plan downstream"

Who wouldn't want that?

They don't call it the bleeding edge for nothing... My wallet, she bleeds..

I am ok with waiting for a bit, for them to get it working as planned.

I've seriously considered asking them if $1000 or so would get my node to be "special" and get special attention and upgrades before they are "official" and available for anyone else in the market.

I also dream about having fiber run from the node to my house, you know, just because I'm special...
--

Chubbzie

@suddenlink.net
reply to gatorkram

Wow, things have really taken a turn for the worse. Can't understand how I've had rock steady, non-fluctuating 50/3 service for years and just a simple increase in bandwidth causes everything to fall completely apart.

Or perhaps once my modem was provisioned & I acquired a new IP (I distinctly recall the IP changing), this placed me in another possibly overloaded node/segment on the network? Whatever the case, these download speed issues are terrible.

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium
Winterville, NC
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

I doubt you'd be on another node. I am sure if you look at your modem, you will see the same channel numbers, although I don't know for sure if this proves you are on the same node or not.

Maybe more than just a few people got the new plan and are all taking advantage of it.

I got my best results at like 5-6am if I remember.
--

Chubbzie

@suddenlink.net

Winner, winner chicken dinner? I think not... only in the wee hours of the morning.

If SDL L3Tech happens to read this thread I would be highly grateful if he could take a look into these terrible inconsistencies & fluctuations.

SDL L3Tech

join:2011-06-07
Tyler, TX
kudos:28
reply to Chubbzie

Is your modem locking on to 4 or 8 channels? 107mb packages are far more consistent when locking on to 8 channels vs 4.

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium
Winterville, NC

Hes in the same market as me. Maybe not the same node, so I'd say hes on 4 channels like me.
--

Chubbzie

@suddenlink.net
reply to SDL L3Tech

Click for full size
Mod-Stats
Hi SDL L3Tech, thanks for all you do for everyone in this forum. Just like gatorkram stated I've only got 4 channels bonded. If I'm not mistaken that is the currently implemented limit on our particular plant. If we could support 8 channel bonding I'd have no problem getting a new modem.

I'm home on my lunch break at the moment and I'm only getting a little over half of the 107 down bandwidth regardless of the test location and/or multithreaded downloads I initiate. The issue is quite reminiscent of the problem I had when I first got the 50/3 service, turns out that was do to an oversaturated node... or at least that is what I was told when it was fixed. Thanks for any and all help you can provide!

Chubbzie

@suddenlink.net
reply to SDL L3Tech

I forgot to ask if my power levels in my previous post look ok?

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium
Winterville, NC

They look fine, yeah.

mewainwr4

join:2010-10-26
Greenville, NC
reply to Chubbzie

My speeds since last weekend in Greenville, NC have been horrible as well. I was thinking it was all the college kids stuck inside for the weather, but my 50/3 service has been all over the place when I get home around 7pm.

Chubbzie

@152.27.26.x

Have you tested your connection during the morning hours before heading to work? Also, are you having issues with your upload speeds as well as your download speeds? I'm only having download bandwidth issues on my end, they are still highly erratic particularly during the late afternoon/evening hours...

mewainwr4

Greenville, NC
reply to Chubbzie

I get my full 50mb / 3 mb in the wee hours and during business hours. On the weekends it is usually downhill from there and after 6pm most nights lately.

mewainwr4

Greenville, NC
reply to Chubbzie

I am downgrading to 15mb. I am barely getting that at night. I may as well pay less for what I am going to get.

Chubbzie

@152.27.26.x

I completely understand where you are coming from. Have you called into the local office to get a tech sent out to check out the speed degradations or to check your line for any issues? I have only been able to get my full download speed on occasion in the wee hours of the morning. Think I'm going to get SL to send a tech out to my place and check things out, if they cannot remedy the issue I will probably drop back to the 50/3 plan I was previously on.

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium
Winterville, NC
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to Chubbzie

I know we are having some issues with getting our full speeds, and I understand how you guys feel. I plan to keep the max 107 and see how it shakes out. Growing pains is my guess. I'd think they will get it worked out sooner or later.

I highly doubt a tech visit will do anything. Calling the local office and telling them to hurry up and upgrade the nodes to 8x might be useful though.

Maybe tell em you will downgrade if they can't offer the level of service you are paying for.
--

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium
Winterville, NC
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to Chubbzie

Just pulled these off the suddenlink speed test. You can find the link here: »account.suddenlink.net/my-accoun···ols.html

It might be useful to use their speed tests, I get the feeling they are keeping an eye on them. The more results that can be turned in showing slow speeds, the better off we should be.

These results arent 107, but they are close.

Download Speed: 97147 kbps (12143.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 5369 kbps (671.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 43 ms
2/11/2014 9:16:07 AM

Download Speed: 98608 kbps (12326 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 5368 kbps (671 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 42 ms
2/11/2014 9:16:48 AM
--

SDL L3Tech

join:2011-06-07
Tyler, TX
kudos:28
reply to Chubbzie

Barring any unforeseen problems, we'll be turning up 8 channel bonding to our primary CMTS during the next maintenance window. Chubbzie if you PM me your cable modem's MAC address and current public IP (»whatismyip.com) and I'll see if you're on that CMTS.

Sorry Gator, you're not on that one. However, we should be turning up 8 channel bonding to the second CMTS by the end of next week if not sooner. Again, barring any unforeseen problems so do not quote me on this.

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium
Winterville, NC

Sounds like great news for the area then. Looking forward to seeing 8 channels. I've had this modem for awhile now, lol. On to 16!
--

Chubbzie

join:2014-02-11
Greenville, NC
reply to SDL L3Tech

SDL L3Tech, sent you my IP & MAC, please let me know if there is any other information you need. Many thanks!

gatorkram, I also use the SL speedtests on a regular basis and get the same results from there as I do on the regular speedtest site.

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium
Winterville, NC
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

said by Chubbzie:

SDL L3Tech, sent you my IP & MAC, please let me know if there is any other information you need. Many thanks!

gatorkram, I also use the SL speedtests on a regular basis and get the same results from there as I do on the regular speedtest site.

Yeah, I tend to get the same results as well. It's interesting to me, I get a 40+ ping to the SL dc server, but about 1/2 that on the speedtest.net site.

I have a weird obsession with latency.
--