Search similar:

uniqs

SDL L3Tech
join:2011-06-07
Tyler, TX

SDL L3Tech to Chubbzie

to Chubbzie

Re: [Speed] Erratic and inconsistent download speeds 107/5 in Greenville, NC

Chibbzie, you are on the second CMTS too. Sorry to get your hopes up for tonight. But, it's coming to the CMTS ya'll are on soon too!
mewainwr4
join:2010-10-26
Greenville, NC

3 edits

mewainwr4 to Chubbzie

to Chubbzie
Lol, I downgraded to the 15mb connection. Now I get 1-2 mb connection....

.Disconnected, rebooted, disconnected Tivo moca adapter. Nothing. I haven't seen anything beat this in a while. I am going to try to run a speed test at 4am and see how it goes.

I ran the same speedtest at 4:30am and got my full bandwidth of 15mb and 1.5mb upload. Definitely some issues with peak hours and not enough for everyone. I feel like I am in the 90s where the images load slowly.

Chubbzie
join:2014-02-11
Greenville, NC

Chubbzie to SDL L3Tech

to SDL L3Tech
Ahhhh shucks, well, you win some you lose some. Thanks for taking the time to look into it.

SDL L3Tech
Tyler, TX

SDL L3Tech

On a side note, you'll have to upgrade your modem to lock on to anything more than 4 channels. According to the link below your modem only supports up to 4.

»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 25122015

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium Member
join:2002-07-22
Winterville, NC

gatorkram to Chubbzie

Premium Member

to Chubbzie
There are quite a few 8x4 modems to choose from now. I picked up a not so common 6180 some time ago off amazon. They can be found quite cheaply.

The 6141 is a popular 8x4 if you want to stick with moto.

It can be confusing when shopping, so make sure it says 8x4 when you buy, if you don't get the 6180 or 6141.

Happy modem shopping.

Chubbzie
Greenville, NC
Hitron CDA3
(Software) OpenBSD + pf

Chubbzie

Ran across this deal just a few days ago, wonder if its worth biting? Refurbed 6180 for $36...

Moto 6180 on Ebay

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium Member
Winterville, NC

gatorkram

Premium Member

It's a good deal. About what I paid for mine on amazon and they even have free shipping on that ebay link, and good seller feedback.
gatorkram

gatorkram

Premium Member

I got myself one. Looks like they have a lot of them if anyone else wants to pick up a cheap 8x4 modem.

Chubbzie
Greenville, NC

Chubbzie

Haha, couldn't resist I see. So you are currently using the 6180? What do your firmware stats look like, I'm just wondering...

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium Member
Winterville, NC

gatorkram

Premium Member

Software Version: SB6180-3.2.1.0-GA-00-252-NOSH
Hardware Version: 1
MIB Version: II
GUI Version: 1.0

I saw I think on the comcast forum there is a newer version of the firmware.

moldypickle
Premium Member
join:2009-01-04
Haughton, LA

moldypickle

Premium Member

That would be on the comcast network, lol. Being there's also ZERO change log for modem firmware, we have no idea how they compare

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium Member
Winterville, NC

gatorkram to Chubbzie

Premium Member

to Chubbzie
Got the new 6180 today. It's already got the newer firmware. Going to see if I can get this pushed to my current 6180

Software Version: SB6180-3.5.8.4-GA-00-507-NOSH
Hardware Version: 1
MIB Version: II
GUI Version: 1.0

From the new modem.
gatorkram

gatorkram to Chubbzie

Premium Member

to Chubbzie
Boy things are slow tonight. Everyone get off my node and go to bed.

I had one even slower awhile ago. Hurry up with that 8 channel bonding.
gatorkram

gatorkram to Chubbzie

Premium Member

to Chubbzie
Bleh

Download Speed: 26313 kbps (3289.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 5378 kbps (672.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 19 ms
2/18/2014 10:10:57 PM

Off the SL speed test online tools thingie.

Chubbzie
Greenville, NC
Hitron CDA3
(Software) OpenBSD + pf

Chubbzie to gatorkram

to gatorkram
Yep gator, I've been experiencing the same massive decrease in download bandwidth during the evening... what a shame.

How did you go about getting your new 6180 activated with SL? I wound up getting a brand new SB6141 from Staples for $15 with some coupons a few days ago. Finally had a chance to switch it out last night and got the SL activation page (after I changed my DNS back to SL). I would enter my information and it could find my account and when I submitted it would error out, I tried 3 different times & all failed.

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium Member
Winterville, NC

gatorkram

Premium Member

I didn't activate it. I have used the online chat in the past to get modems activated. You can just call in too.
gatorkram

gatorkram to Chubbzie

Premium Member

to Chubbzie
Wish it was like this all the time:

moldypickle
Premium Member
Haughton, LA

moldypickle to Chubbzie

Premium Member

to Chubbzie
I always just call in, 5 minutes later the new modem is online.

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium Member
Winterville, NC

gatorkram to Chubbzie

Premium Member

to Chubbzie
When I get results this bad, I have to wonder when I run the test if I am making someones netflix or youtube buffer.

Chubbzie
Greenville, NC
Hitron CDA3
(Software) OpenBSD + pf

1 recommendation

Chubbzie

Yikes, the dl on that speedtest is atrocious. Wonder if the SL/DC speedtest is possibly under high load during those times so there is less available bandwidth to test with? Of course, ping and upload look great.

I activated my new SB6141 yesterday via online chat, so I'm ready for that 8 channel bonding to take place...

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium Member
Winterville, NC

gatorkram

Premium Member

Hope the 8 channels come tonight or friday, fingers crossed.

WEEDmon
El Loco
join:2007-04-26
Greenville, NC

WEEDmon

Yeah but Gator I'm confused. What's the difference between the 4 channels bonding I currently have and the 8 channels bonding that are coming in our area soon? Does it mean that your speeds will always be more consistent and around the 107 max speeds you have and you won't have to worry about your speeds degrading overnight or during peak hours when other people are watching netflix, etc.. and using a lot of your bandwidth from the same node as you are what?

By the way, I have and am using a Motorola SB6120, is that also 8x4 compatible like your new modem is?

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium Member
Winterville, NC

gatorkram

Premium Member

Yes, having 8 channels, and a modem that can bond to all 8 should make things better.

I don't know how 4 channel modems work, if they can be pushed to the best 4 channels somehow, or if they are stuck on just 4 period.

The sb6120 is only a 4/4 docsis 3 modem. You'd want to get a new one if it's important to you to bond to all 8 channels.

moldypickle
Premium Member
Haughton, LA
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-nanoHD

moldypickle

Premium Member

Won't really matter too terribly much which 4 you connect to, aslong as they don't have a specific channel getting hammered by noise. It's basically like a highway. They just doubled the number of lanes that everyone will be sharing so they will all be showing reduced strain.

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium Member
Winterville, NC

gatorkram

Premium Member

said by gatorkram:

Hope the 8 channels come tonight or friday, fingers crossed.

Still slumming on 4 channels. Big storms in the area, wonder if its going to delay us.

I want my MTV 8 channel bonding

SDL L3Tech
Tyler, TX

SDL L3Tech to Chubbzie

to Chubbzie
When you go from 4 to 8, all modems that support 8 will pull bandwidth from all 8. However, modems that only support 4 will only pull from the 4 (of the 8 available) they can lock on to.

When 8 channel bonding is turned up (gator: it was delayed a week or two sorry) the load on the existing 4 channels will be rebalanced over the 8 available. This will significantly reduce the load on the existing 4 and double the total capacity of the downstream group.

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium Member
Winterville, NC

gatorkram

Premium Member

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

The pain the pain...

Better to have the news, than wonder, so thanks for that.

WEEDmon
El Loco
join:2007-04-26
Greenville, NC

WEEDmon

Is that turning on the 8 download channel bonding in 2 weeks from today or will i be turning on within the next day or so?

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium Member
Winterville, NC

gatorkram

Premium Member

Looks like it will be another week or two he said, from today.
gatorkram

gatorkram to Chubbzie

Premium Member

to Chubbzie

12:30am still overloaded.

I am starting to think we should get refunds, at least for the extra $25 a month, till they get this fixed.