spc
uniqs
swope1221
join:2008-08-26
Newtown, PA

swope1221 to K3SGM

to K3SGM

[Pricing] Re: Here comes the Router rental fee of $4.99

This was my question that got buried above, I bought a rev I from eBay and the original rev D I got at install . If they want the original back no problem but I'm not paying a rental fee on the one I bought. It's gotta be new customers only.

K3SGM
- -... ...- -
Premium Member
join:2006-01-17
Columbia, PA

K3SGM

Premium Member

said by swope1221:

I bought a rev I from eBay and the original rev D I got at install . If they want the original back no problem but I'm not paying a rental fee on the one I bought.

That opens up a bees nest.

How is Verizon going to control what people are buying and selling on ebay??

It's not like the stolen Fios cable boxes that can't be activated that you see being sold online, the routers don't need activation, and nothing prevents somebody from selling a VZ owned router to someone else.

You could easily end up buying a router on ebay, that is actually one of the rental units.

The seller would still be on the hook for the rental charges, or paying for the router that wasn't returned, but VZ will still have a record of it, and you don't want to get caught with something that they suddenly decide to call stolen property.

They'll have to come up with a distinct physical difference, and/or a model number distinction between the rented units, to separate them from the owned ones.

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish

Premium Member

They have the MAC address, thats all Verizon needs

K3SGM
- -... ...- -
Premium Member
join:2006-01-17
Columbia, PA

K3SGM

Premium Member

The MAC, which can very easily be SPOOFED....

I have a REV. F set up with the CLONED MAC of one of my Rev. I routers, static and dynamic routing manually cloned between the 2, WiFi channel, key, etc...
It's a ready-to-go spare, to drop in place if I have a router failure, and can't go in and Release/Renew the IP from the original routers MAC..
It would be like it never even happened.

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish

Premium Member

Its no different than cable modems, and I agree the older firmware allows changing the MAC address, one firmware tweak could take care of that issue for routers Verizon leases, I a suspect that will be the way they keep track of whats owned vs leased