dabonz7

Are you Joking Rogers LoL

poor noobs that pay for that !!!

»www.rogers.com/web/Roger ··· _LANDING
cepnot4me
join:2013-10-29
L0C 1K0

cepnot4me

You'd be amazed at how many people demanded this service.

Keep in mind it's not just computer support. This team will mount TV'S, set up home theatres, fish cable lines or other wires.

They basically are there to accomplish the tasks the average customers expect from the standard install technicians.

That being said.. I'd never hire them. In fact 99% of Dslreports.com users would probably never hire them.. but we make up about 5% of the customer base.

The other 95% wanted this service. However, I'm not sure if they will want the cost of the service.

SimplePanda
BSD
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Montreal, QC

SimplePanda to dabonz7

Premium Member

to dabonz7
If they'll fish and route cables even some more experienced users may be interested in this. I'm currently using a PowerLine AV solution to get 80-100Mbps reliably to a back part of my house that wireless just can't effectively cover.

I'm just too lazy to take the time to run Cat5e or 6 through the floor and roof and my wife would not tolerate any exposed cables running through the kitchen.
vincom
join:2009-03-06
Bolton, ON

vincom

said by SimplePanda:

If they'll fish and route cables even some more experienced users may be interested in this. I'm currently using a PowerLine AV solution to get 80-100Mbps reliably to a back part of my house that wireless just can't effectively cover.

I'm just too lazy to take the time to run Cat5e or 6 through the floor and roof and my wife would not tolerate any exposed cables running through the kitchen.

there are lots of companys that can run cable that would be alot cheaper than rogers
cepnot4me
L0C 1K0

cepnot4me

I'm not sure of their pricing. But I can tell you full fishing is not cheap.

I had a lady pay a company $1200 to run new RG6 from the electrical panel to 7 places.

Finished basement, 3 floor house. Nothing exposed, no unnecessary damage.

If you want high low fishing (say for wall mount tvs), it's easy it's cheap. Unfinished basement to first floor. Fairly cheap. Unfinished basement to second floor, getting pricey. Finished basement to 2nd floor? Not cheap.

Quotes always vary, but most people quote prices knowing that electricians bill $120-$200/ hour for the work.

A 2nd floor fish could take 2 hours+.

Not that I'm pimping the new Rogers product, but the prices are aimed to be fair. When Rogers did do fishing, it was $75/line. 1 floor or 3 floors.

And the techxpert crews work is warrantied.
vincom
join:2009-03-06
Bolton, ON

vincom

everytime rogers did wiring it was just stapled to the base board and/or along the exterior to get to the bedrooms, mind you it was just a standard install not an expert tech job, but that was ages ago, i wonder if theyre subbed out or inhouse
$1200, i think she got hosed
zamarac
join:2008-11-29
Canada

zamarac to cepnot4me

to cepnot4me
said by cepnot4me:

electricians bill $120-$200/ hour for the work

What's included in this price? Materials - which ones?

What's the best way a fishing job must supposedly be done from a customer & home owner prospective?
AsherN
Premium Member
join:2010-08-23
Thornhill, ON

AsherN to vincom

Premium Member

to vincom
There are a lot of companies that won't touch residential fishing

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan

Premium Member

said by AsherN:

There are a lot of companies that won't touch residential fishing

I'll do it; but only as a time and material job.

Commercial work I generally do flat rate ($XXX per LAN or voice drop) - but commercial work is also fairly predictable. Doing res work, you never know what you're getting into.

It could be a good value-add for less technical consumers, along the same-line as Geek Squad for BB... Someone to do the 'cool' stuff they know they want, but don't know how to do...
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr to vincom

to vincom
said by vincom:

everytime rogers did wiring it was just stapled to the base board and/or along the exterior to get to the bedrooms, mind you it was just a standard install not an expert tech job, but that was ages ago, i wonder if theyre subbed out or inhouse
$1200, i think she got hosed

Standard policy to staple to the baseboard or bring in a wire from the outside. I did have one experience though with a Rogers tech (not a contractor), who voluntarily fished some wires for me once. Didn't even ask him, he just did it for me.
RogersElise
join:2010-09-08
Canada

RogersElise to dabonz7

to dabonz7
Hi guys

Indeed TechXpert might not be for DSL Reports users, I suspect most of you know more about tech than I do (I am a words and letters kind of girl

However, TechXperts can be valuable for people that are less at ease with technology and would rather get help than look into Youtube how-tos or forums like this one. To each is own!

It's a service 24/7 providing extended technology support for computers and other connected devices.Assistance goes above and beyond your traditional Rogers services. Rogers TechXpert agents help with the products or software that are built and sold by other manufacturers or retailers.

AppleGuy
Premium Member
join:2013-09-08
Kitchener, ON

AppleGuy to dabonz7

Premium Member

to dabonz7
Anyone not teksavvy values from this though. And perhaps they will ignore calls from Microsoft (usually in a thick accent) telling them that their computer is infected.

Plus, it's a business model, so they must be making money off of it anyway. More money for baseball, football, football (soccer) and hockey.

dabonz7
join:2012-05-17
Ottawa, ON

dabonz7

so what you are saying I need like 200 Foot RJ45 running from my Router upstairs to downstairs to my living room to connect to some devices they can do all that ???

installing Jacks in the wall ETC ETC

AppleGuy
Premium Member
join:2013-09-08
Kitchener, ON

AppleGuy

Premium Member

I have no idea what you need. But if they can make things neat and tidy, I'd do it for one month too. But, I was able to make things need and tidy when I set up two access points.
cepnot4me
L0C 1K0

cepnot4me to zamarac

to zamarac
Fishing is situation specific. Every run and every house is different so the "proper " way is open to interpretation.

My idea of the proper way, is one hole in the drywall, maybe 2. One where you want the outlet, one where the outlet starts from.

You can always run a wire by drilling holes here and there along the way, but this means repairing that drywall after.

Price generally includes the wiring and work. But it varies, if I fish a 100' HDMI cable, the customer buys that cable first.

Low voltage wiring, VS high voltage wiring differs, electrical outlet fishing still requires things follow code.

If I do fishing, I fish up to the attic, then down to the outlet for 2nd floor runs from the panel.

If your going to go from a room to another room, it would become a "fish it however you can" type scenario.