uniqs
smokinjo
join:2014-02-01
Canada

smokinjo

[TV] Might switch from satelite to FibeTV

Hello,

I use satelite TV with Bell.

I have an external HD on my satelite box. I knwo that the FibeTV box has the hardware to support a USB connection for a HD or UDSB key. But, the software is not quite ready. Soon I was told.

Iam temtped to switch over. But, two questions:

1 - when I will plug th eext HD into the FIbeTV box, will it be compatible?
2 - since the Fibe TV box will most likely come with an internal HD, will we see the listings of recorded shows on both the internal drive AND the external drive?

Thanks!

Joe
taraf
join:2011-05-07
Ottawa, ON

taraf

In response to your questions --

1. Almost certainly not. The two boxes use completely different codecs for how they store the recorded video, and it's very unlikely that they'd play each others files. Additionally, as you would have two different account numbers (they cancel/recreate a new account when you migrate), even if you had the same codecs between the devices, you would have different encryption keys.

2. I have no idea. Presumably, if they enable external HDD support, it'll work like you describe, as that's how it works with the satellite box, but at this point, I don't think anybody knows the answer.

Good luck
Tara
Mont
join:2006-05-02
Saint-Leonard, QC

Mont to smokinjo

to smokinjo
You won't be able to see your Bell TV recording from your external hard drive on your Fibe TV since it's a completely different system.
smokinjo
Canada

smokinjo

Hello,

Well, the first two opinions say it will not work.

The Bell rep says it will. I take Bell store peoples answer with a grain of salt. But, I still want the techs answer.

I am still awaiting news from a friend who works at Bell. Hopefully he will find a good tech who will give me the correct answer.

I just do nto want to lose all the films we have recorded!

Joe

nuageux
@videotron.ca

nuageux

Anon

»www.digitalhome.ca/forum ··· t=128188
taraf
join:2011-05-07
Ottawa, ON

taraf

Then post in Bell Direct. You'll get a direct line to a senior technician, who can give you an answer.

Hopefully it'll be the answer you're looking for.
btech805
join:2013-08-01
Canada

btech805 to smokinjo

to smokinjo
It will not work. Easiest way is to keep your existing pvr plugged into the tv and watch your movies from there. There is no way to move them to the fibe tv pvr, different coding structure of the video
smokinjo
Canada

smokinjo

Hello,

I proposed this idea to the Bell store people. They confirmed that as soon as my Bell satellite account is closed, I will no longer be abel to use the console. So, even if I keep it when being subscribed to Fibe TV, it will not work.

That is what I was told.

This would be a simple solution, and I woudl nto have ot worry abotu transferring the HD to the new system.

Martin
Premium Member
join:2005-05-05
Blainville, QC

Martin to smokinjo

Premium Member

to smokinjo
False! The PVR is functional for records already present on the hard drive even after being disconnected from the dish, you can continue to use it to listen to the programs on the hard drive of the device.

Recordings on the external drive are unfortunately not compatible with FibeTV only with satellite PVR.
donkey77
join:2008-04-08
Montreal, QC

donkey77

My 6131 disconnected from a satellite signal would reboot while trying to watch recorded content on an external hard drive. This was quite some time ago, did they fix that "bug"?