uniqs
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
join:2006-01-11
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1 to ke4pym

Premium Member

to ke4pym

Re: [Green Tech] Solar panels: doing the math...

said by ke4pym:

You really need to contact some quality installers in your area to help you go over the specifics. They will come out and do a site survey and provide you with a lot better information than any of us here can.

Fair enough. I'd need to see how they have these systems priced, and how much the savings would be to see if it would be worth it. And I still have unanswered questions, such as: How expensive is it to remove and reinstall the panels in the event of a new roof installation? What is the cost to dispose of panels that have no more useful life? And who fixes these panels in the event of a problem (and how many are qualified to fix them)? I'm still not sold on this concept, but the idea is interesting.
ke4pym
Premium Member
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym

Premium Member

said by XXXXXXXXXXX1:

Fair enough. I'd need to see how they have these systems priced, and how much the savings would be to see if it would be worth it. And I still have unanswered questions, such as: How expensive is it to remove and reinstall the panels in the event of a new roof installation? What is the cost to dispose of panels that have no more useful life? And who fixes these panels in the event of a problem (and how many are qualified to fix them)? I'm still not sold on this concept, but the idea is interesting.

Again, the local installers will be able to help you with that. Personally, I had my roof redone a month prior to the panels being installed. Since the sun no longer shines on that side of the roof, it should be a non-issue.

However, should you need to have the array taken down, you're going to be charged for then market rates.

The installers should be on the hook (should they be in business) if anything fails.

My panels have a 25 year output warranty on them. Ditto for the inverters and 10 years of warranty on the install. But, like anything else, stuff changes. So if something breaks you'll have to fix it if the installing company goes belly up. If I'm still alive and in this house in 25 years, I'll be looking to put the new fancy high-tech stuff up on the roof to get another 25 years of service.

The last thing I think will be a problem is the roof leaking. They installed some bang up hardware and there's not going to be any leaks. Search my post history if you want to see more on my install.