Lynnwood, WA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

The backpedaling continues

Microsoft testing Windows 8.1 update that hides tile interface by default
»www.theverge.com/2014/1/30/53621 ··· -default
quote:
Microsoft is once again planning to alter the way its Start Screen works in Windows 8.1 Update 1. While the software giant originally released Windows 8.1 last year with an option to bypass the "Metro" interface at boot, sources familiar with Microsoft’s plans have revealed to The Verge that the upcoming update for Windows 8.1 will enable this by default. Like many other changes in Update 1, we’re told the reason for the reversal is to improve the OS for keyboard and mouse users.
[...]
Microsoft is also addressing other parts of feedback around Windows 8.1, especially concerns from businesses who are rapidly trying to move away from Windows XP ahead of the support cut off in April. Additional changes include shutdown and search buttons on the Start Screen, the ability to pin Windows 8-style ("Metro") apps on the desktop task bar, and a new bar at the top of Metro apps to allow users to minimize, close, and snap apps. These changes, and the default boot-to-desktop option, are part of small improvements ahead of a larger changes in Windows 9. Microsoft is expected to allow "Metro" apps to run in separate windows on the traditional desktop. Windows 8.1 Update 1, meanwhile, is expected to debut in March, ahead of potential Windows 9 details at the Build developers conference in April.
At this rate, Update 1 may even bring the "Start Menu" back!
--
.sig

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
kudos:4

1 recommendation

"We need to release a desktop os to go along side with the tablets so they can run the same apps, but we only have a few months to get it working. Do it, we don't give a shit about our desktop customers if it doesn't work, and we have to get into the tablet marketplace!" -Microsoft

I should also report in official program names "Zune" is all over the metro crap, and we all remember what happened to the Zune. Microsoft purged their website of Zune last time I checked, even the zune theme(black and orange) for xp which I still have on one of my hdds.

When people say metro was fine, or they liked it they didn't realize how very limited it was on a desktop. How it couldn't do things you expect out of windows applications, and how clearly it was meant for as a crappy tablet interface, like it couldn't support more than one monitor at a time, along with had no real multi-tasking, ran everything as fing full screen...

Lets all thank classic shell and Stardock for showing Microsoft how not to suck, especially Stardock for running metro apps windowed... it's like it totally blew their minds people run programs on their desktop not-in-fullscreen!
--
I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires- Susan B. Anthony
Yesterday we obeyed kings, and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to the truth- Kahlil G.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
reply to aurgathor
I hear what you're saying and its an interesting point to point out.

However, this seems like a Windows 8.1 Update thread linking to a Windows 8.1 Update article and there was already one of those posted yesterday (linking to the same type of info):

»Windows 8.1 Update 1 Preview: Hands-on

Not trying to give you a hard time or anything, I'm just saying.

Wily_One
Premium
join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

1 recommendation

reply to aurgathor
There was no reason for them to take the desktop metaphor we've been using for years (decades!) and screw with it.

I'm a CLI/shell guy at heart, and the Windows GUI has always held some derision by the server/Unix people, but Win8 goes overboard with the Candyland crap. I just can't take an OS seriously that has "charms". C'mon.

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
But 'zombies' are ok?

(I think there's enough examples of silly naming to go around... me, I'm still fond of mutants).

Wily_One
Premium
join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
hehe - bit of a stretch but I'll give you that one. (But the term is kind of descriptive of the process condition - a dead process that's not gone, hence undead, hence zombie...)

But the difference is this: 99% of the time I don't need to deal with or think about zombie processes in *nix, while MS made "charms" an integral part of Win8. WTF is a "charm"? It's just new Candyland crap they made to go with their colored boxes.

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3
said by Wily_One:

hehe - bit of a stretch but I'll give you that one. (But the term is kind of descriptive of the process condition - a dead process that's not gone, hence undead, hence zombie...)

But the difference is this: 99% of the time I don't need to deal with or think about zombie processes in *nix, while MS made "charms" an integral part of Win8. WTF is a "charm"? It's just new Candyland crap they made to go with their colored boxes.

You and the user "Troubada" think alike! Remember that post I made back in November of last year where "Troubada" was making comments about the Windows 8.1 icon colors?

Here's the post that I made

»Re: [WIN8] Questions about Windows 8.1

and here is their comment (I added the bold this time)

quote:
But this Start screen in 8.1 is just horrendous. I can't use it like this. I have a lot of apps sorted on it and when I open the Start screen it looks like some sort of depraved candy land that I don't want to be in. Worse than that, I can't find anything because the crazy colors are throwing off my ability to find/distuingish anything.

While I have read where background icon color comes from, I just don't see how it applies to a desktop / laptop setting. It does make sense (and I will say a lot of what Windows 8 brought to the table did as well) to an environment that was running on a touchscreen or tablet.

As I have always said; Microsoft should have allowed the end user to select the options that appear to now be present with the upcoming Windows 8.1 Update 1. If it is on or off by default (for any given setting) does not matter to me, as long as I'm able to change it to fit the environment that I'm in. Not giving the end user that choice, and forcing them into a given setting is where I feel Microsoft make their mistake.

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
said by plencnerb:

Not giving the end user that choice, and forcing them into a given setting is where I feel Microsoft make their mistake.

Exactly. I still can't comprehend how could they ship 8.0 in the way they did.
I can't believe that no would speak up against that wretched UI.
--
.sig

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
Too many people with crap on their nose saying yes?

dave
Premium,MVM
not in ohio
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to aurgathor
'Backpedalling' might not be an entirely fair word, since (or so I think) the people running the show now are not the people who set the direction for Windows 8.

'Repairing the public-relations mess those previous bastards left behind' maybe?

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
said by dave:

'Backpedalling' might not be an entirely fair word, since (or so I think) the people running the show now are not the people who set the direction for Windows 8.

'Repairing the public-relations mess those previous bastards left behind' maybe?

"Jerking users around" or "Disenfranchising users" seem to be equally accurate phrases.

This whole affair is just crazy and out of the hundreds of people I've heard complain about how much they hate Windows 8 for no explainable reason, I've met two that say they like it or it's not as bad as 'everyone' says.

It's like Microsoft has some great firewall that blocks the world's vitriol directed at their new OS... or like they haven't seen how their awful OS has encouraged Apple or Google hardware sales.

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to dave
said by dave:

While there were some well publicized departures, I think Windows is identified more with Microsoft than with the actual people behind it -- and it's MS's duty fix the mess. Whether they consider 8 their bastard child or not, or those who created it -- I have no idea. But I would tend to think that such a radical change should've had approval well beyond the OS team.

Some people and organizations have that high flying "I'm holier than thou" mindset until they hit the ground at a high speed. After Win8 they had the guts to come out with that fake start button, when they should've known pretty damn well that a Start button should come with a "Start Menu". That was, IMHO, a typical smartass response.

--
.sig

dave
Premium,MVM
not in ohio
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
Sure... Sinofsky surely signed off on it, and I imagine he had to clear it with his boss, Ballmer.

Beyond the president of the Windows division (as it then was), and the CEO, I don't suppose there's anyone else more empowered to decide the direction of Windows.

The scuttlebutt is that's why Sinofsky and (soon) Ballmer don't work for Microsoft.

"Microsoft" is not an entity that can make decisions. The individual execs do.

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
reply to aurgathor
They should have canned Steve a long time ago for even approving such a non-functional gui just to get it out in time for the holidays, and their patch job with 8.1 to give them boot to desktop and the start menu button goes to the all programs screen was something to appease the desktop user, however their hubris allowed them to think that this small token would make up for them shipping out a steaming turd of a gui, only to be half-ass fixed a year later?

Steve deserves no golden parachute, and to hit the ground like Wile E. Coyote with nothing as a prize for his hubris.
--
I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires- Susan B. Anthony
Yesterday we obeyed kings, and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to the truth- Kahlil G.

dsless

join:2001-05-16
Pittsburgh, PA
reply to aurgathor
Ohhh how I miss my punched card days......

dave
Premium,MVM
not in ohio
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by dsless:

Ohhh how I miss my punched card days......

Yeah, well that was a crappy UI. Monocase, limited character set, fixed-length lines, probably had 'must start in column N' restrictions, blah blah...

But papertape on a Flexowriter... now we're talking!

Kramer
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-03
Richmond, VA
kudos:2
reply to BlitzenZeus
said by BlitzenZeus:

They should have canned Steve a long time ago for even approving such a non-functional gui just to get it out in time for the holidays, and their patch job with 8.1 to give them boot to desktop and the start menu button goes to the all programs screen was something to appease the desktop user, however their hubris allowed them to think that this small token would make up for them shipping out a steaming turd of a gui, only to be half-ass fixed a year later?

Steve deserves no golden parachute, and to hit the ground like Wile E. Coyote with nothing as a prize for his hubris.

He walks away with 18 billion in the bank. I just don't know if anyone should ever be able to profit that much for anything they do, whether it be done poorly or well. I don't know though... Gates has done a lot for humanity with his wealth.

dsless

join:2001-05-16
Pittsburgh, PA
reply to dave
Like a paper tape on a PDP6 or 8. Long time ago!

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to Wily_One
said by Wily_One:

There was no reason for them to take the desktop metaphor we've been using for years (decades!) and screw with it.

I'm a CLI/shell guy at heart, and the Windows GUI has always held some derision by the server/Unix people, but Win8 goes overboard with the Candyland crap. I just can't take an OS seriously that has "charms". C'mon.

Not just the "Cannyland crap" but they butchered all their apps to look like ass too, I can't STAND the cartoonish look of Office 2013./
They don't realize if this keeps up corporations will look elsewhere. Libre Office, which is free, and 100% compatible the the new file format, carries the old menu (not the ribbon one) would be high on my list.
--
Every government has its Secret Service branch: America, CIA; France, Deuxieme Bureau; England, MI5. NATO also has its own.

Glen T

join:2003-11-03
BC
reply to aurgathor
said by aurgathor:

Exactly. I still can't comprehend how could they ship 8.0 in the way they did.
I can't believe that no would speak up against that wretched UI.

Arrogance. MS is not the first company to tell people, "We are going to revolutionize the way that you work." And they won't be the last. In fact, they'll keep at it because the stockholders demand it. There always needs to be 'the next big thing' to drive growth, and growth is what the stock market is all about. No one profits from the status quo.

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
reply to aurgathor
A little humor...

Stolen from
»Re: [News] Nadella to be new Microsoft CEO and Gates kicked off board?

Gates Spends Entire First Day Back in Office Trying to Install Windows 8.1
»www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/b ··· -81.html

quote:
“Bill is usually a pretty calm guy, so it was weird to hear some of that language coming out of his mouth,” the source said.
--