Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to Wily_One

Premium Member

to Wily_One

Re: [News] Nadella to be new Microsoft CEO and Gates kicked off board?

said by Wily_One:

The one unit within Microsoft that you can truly call a winner is Xbox. The irony is it essentially is a PC in a different set of clothes.

I think this is in part because XBOX is just like Apple products, Everything that happens on the Xbox results in some amount of money for MS. PCs are a one shot deal, Once they get you or the OEM for the OS install there is no obligation to use anything related to MS afterwards MS does not for example get a cut of every game installed on a PC via steam or CD.

Interesting enough I think the PC decline is just a fad, Right now people want mobile but I think the PC will make a resurgence as people find that the resolution of video they want is not possible over the pitiful excuses for internet bandwidth offered here in the US. MS if smart will find a way to seize this part of the market with some kind of "Local Cloud" formula where you have tens of TB in the desktop or attached to an XBOX and any device in the house can consume that cached content.

4K(of respectable non bit starved quality for multiple users at once) will need local caching unless you are on Google Fiber or living in South Korea.

BillRoland
Premium Member
join:2001-01-21
Ocala, FL

BillRoland

Premium Member

said by Kearnstd:

Interesting enough I think the PC decline is just a fad, Right now people want mobile but I think the PC will make a resurgence as people find that the resolution of video they want is not possible over the pitiful excuses for internet bandwidth offered here in the US. MS if smart will find a way to seize this part of the market with some kind of "Local Cloud" formula where you have tens of TB in the desktop or attached to an XBOX and any device in the house can consume that cached content.

I completely agree. I have to wonder how much of this decline in the PC is a result of Windows 8.

Can't help but wonder if people will start re-thinking the move of everything they have to "the cloud" with the on-going revelations of how the NSA is sifting through all of it and greedy for more.