uniqs
DZS
join:2007-09-09
York, PA

DZS to joejoejeo

to joejoejeo

Re: [X1-X2] Obtaining X1 with existing double play package

Everything installed successfully!

I did in fact get the Arris-Motorola X1 box that I asked for.

Loving the X1 thus far, many features to play with. Love the X1 app on the iPhone so I can use voice control. X2 Preview looks even better! Exit; Exit; 9; 8; 9; 6

I also got the DPC3939 I requested, but disabled the wireless on it (my Asus RT-AC66R handles the wireless). I have Blast for life with this package.

Signal:
Frequency
699 MHz
705 MHz
711 MHz
717 MHz
723 MHz
729 MHz
735 MHz
741 MHz

SNR
37.356 dB
37.636 dB
37.636 dB
37.636 dB
37.636 dB
37.636 dB
37.356 dB
37.356 dB

Power
-0.100 dBmV
0.200 dBmV
0.200 dBmV
-0.200 dBmV
-0.300 dBmV
-0.500 dBmV
-0.700 dBmV
-1.200 dBmV

Modulation
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM

joejoejeo
join:2006-04-02
Bloomington, IN

joejoejeo

OK how do you know it is the Arris/Motorola XG1
SpHeRe31459
Premium Member
join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA

SpHeRe31459 to DZS

Premium Member

to DZS
said by DZS:

Everything installed successfully!

Loving the X1 thus far, many features to play with. Love the X1 app on the iPhone so I can use voice control. X2 Preview looks even better! Exit; Exit; 9; 8; 9; 6

I also got the DPC3939 I requested, but disabled the wireless on it (my Asus RT-AC66R handles the wireless). I have Blast for life with this package.a

Very cool! So you're sure you got a Arris-Motorola XG1 and not a Pace one?

If so, congrats, you're the first person we know to get the brand new Arris-Moto X1 DVR
joejoejeo
Bloomington, IN

joejoejeo

Yes we need to see pictures of the box
DZS
York, PA

1 recommendation

DZS to SpHeRe31459

to SpHeRe31459
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by SpHeRe31459:

said by DZS:

Very cool! So you're sure you got a Arris-Motorola XG1 and not a Pace one?

If so, congrats, you're the first person we know to get the brand new Arris-Moto X1 DVR

said by joejoejeo:

Yes we need to see pictures of the box

OK, well those pictures don't lie, that's a genuine ARRIS-Motorola XG1 box, blue power indicator and everything.

What's also interesting is, instead of being labeled an "XG1-M" (for Motorola), the lower right corner of the front panel shows "XG1-A" (for ARRIS).

Congrats and good luck with it!

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
join:2001-12-28
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

And the LED display is also slightly different! And go figure - Central PA has em!
SpHeRe31459
Premium Member
Sacramento, CA

1 edit

SpHeRe31459 to DZS

Premium Member

to DZS
Awesome thanks for doing that!

I hope they find their way into other markets soon. I'm still waiting to see how everything with the X2 update shapes up, but one of my other hope was that the ARRIS-Moto hardware was out too so I could see what another vendor's performance and reliability was like.
DZS
York, PA

DZS

Really good performance so far. Guide does lag here and there. I think the X2 preview actually works BETTER with this box than X1.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to SpHeRe31459

MVM

to SpHeRe31459
said by SpHeRe31459:

I hope they find their way into other markets soon. I'm still waiting to see how everything with the X2 update shapes up, but one of my other hope was that the ARRIS-Moto hardware was out too so I could see what another vendor's performance and reliability was like.

The MCN article tonight about the X2 roll-out (»Re: [X1-X2] X2 deployment news ) also says this about the new ARRIS XG1 boxes:
quote:
Comcast kicked off X1 deployments by distributing “XG1” HD-DVRs made by U.K.-based set-top-maker Pace, but the MSO confirmed that it has also begun to roll out Arris-made models as well. Having an additional source of boxes should help Comcast to avoid the kind of supply shortage it fought through last fall (»www.multichannel.com/dis ··· d/146032).
joejoejeo
Bloomington, IN

joejoejeo

whats the difference between the Pace XG1 and the Motorola XG1
DZS
York, PA

DZS

I would love to see the actual component specs.
SpHeRe31459
Premium Member
Sacramento, CA

4 edits

1 recommendation

SpHeRe31459 to joejoejeo

Premium Member

to joejoejeo
said by joejoejeo:

They are basically just different OEM manufacturers. They're all made to Comcast's RDK specifications for an XG1 class device.

We know that the Pace XG1 is based on an Intel SoC (Intel Atom CE4200 Media Processor). »www.multichannel.com/cab ··· t/139985

While we're not sure about the Moto XG1, I think it's a variant on their DCX3600 platform, which would make it based on a relatively recent Broadcom SoC (BCM7425).

EDIT: My supposition about the linage of the Moto version has basically been confirmed by the FCC internal photos, it's a DCX3600 variant. The motherboard says "DCX3600/XG1". »apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/r ··· =ACQ-XG1

Oh and I just noticed that the Moto XG1 doesn't have component video out, just standard composite video and of course HDMI. The Paces does have component.
joejoejeo
Bloomington, IN

joejoejeo

ok thanks

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

1 recommendation

telcodad to SpHeRe31459

MVM

to SpHeRe31459
Click for full size
Pace XG1 Rear Panel
Click for full size
Arris XG1 Rear Panel
said by SpHeRe31459:

said by joejoejeo:

They are basically just different OEM manufacturers. They're all made to Comcast's RDK specifications for an XG1 class device.
:
EDIT: ...
Oh and I just noticed that the Moto XG1 doesn't have component video out, just standard composite video and of course HDMI. The Paces does have component.

Yes, their rear panel layouts are quite different.

FAUguy
join:2014-01-22

FAUguy

Since my main HDTV is a Panasonic Tube 1080i 36", it lacks HDMI so I have to use the Component out from the current DCX3400M box. I also have a Mitsubishi SVHS that uses the S-Video from the DCX3400M. I guess only the Pace X1 box has the Component 1080 out, but S-Video is gone for good.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

1 recommendation

telcodad

MVM

said by FAUguy:

... I also have a Mitsubishi SVHS that uses the S-Video from the DCX3400M. I guess only the Pace X1 box has the Component 1080 out, but S-Video is gone for good.

Yeah, I've noticed that S-video outputs are no longer provided on a lot of newer video equipment, such as DVD and Blu-ray players, anymore.

Like you, I have some older, non-HD TV sets that have an S-video input, which I'd rather use than the composite (ewww) or RF inputs (yuck!).

I found this (somewhat expensive) HDMI-to-S-video converter on Amazon, though, that I thought about getting so I can use the HDMI output on the new HD-DTA's with these older TV sets:

Keedox HDMI To Composite RCA & S-video Converter Scaler 720p 1080p with Adapter
»www.amazon.com/Keedox%C2 ··· 0GGFY6LW
SpHeRe31459
Premium Member
Sacramento, CA

1 edit

SpHeRe31459 to FAUguy

Premium Member

to FAUguy
said by FAUguy:

Since my main HDTV is a Panasonic Tube 1080i 36", it lacks HDMI so I have to use the Component out from the current DCX3400M box. I also have a Mitsubishi SVHS that uses the S-Video from the DCX3400M. I guess only the Pace X1 box has the Component 1080 out, but S-Video is gone for good.

The lack of S-Video isn't worth worrying too much about when it comes to cable/satellite. It's still an SD-only interface and while yes it's supposed to be technically superior, in my experience on a modern TV (i.e. one with a decent comb filter which that Panny certainly would have) I've not found it to make any noticeable difference between composite and s-video from the output of a cable/satellite set-top box. The channels are already so compressed, that any real picture quality issues they have are inherent in the source.

Obviously component is important for you and your TV, it gets you HD quality, etc. So if you go to X1 get a Pace DVR, depending on your region that's what you'll get anyway. We've only seen reports of the Motorola-ARRIS XG1 in the east. I bet you can request that you get an X1 DVR with component video output.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

1 edit

telcodad

MVM

said by SpHeRe31459:

said by FAUguy:

The lack of S-Video isn't worth worrying too much about when it comes to cable/satellite. It's still an SD-only interface and while yes it's supposed to be technically superior, in my experience on a modern TV (i.e. one with a decent comb filter which that Panny certainly would have) I've not found it to make any noticeable difference between composite and s-video from the output of a cable/satellite set-top box.

I've found the improvement in PQ depends greatly on how the S-video signal is generated/handled at each end of the connection.

Some brands of video equipment provide a noticably improved PQ using the S-video output over the composite one, while for others I didn't notice much difference, like you.

FAUguy
join:2014-01-22

FAUguy to telcodad

to telcodad
said by telcodad:

said by FAUguy:

... I also have a Mitsubishi SVHS that uses the S-Video from the DCX3400M. I guess only the Pace X1 box has the Component 1080 out, but S-Video is gone for good.

Yeah, I've noticed that S-video outputs are no longer provided on a lot of newer video equipment, such as DVD and Blu-ray players, anymore.

Like you, I have some older, non-HD TV sets that have an S-video input, which I'd rather use than the composite (ewww) or RF inputs (yuck!).

I found this (somewhat expensive) HDMI-to-S-video converter on Amazon, though, that I thought about getting so I can use the HDMI output on the new HD-DTA's with these older TV sets:

Keedox HDMI To Composite RCA & S-video Converter Scaler 720p 1080p with Adapter
»www.amazon.com/Keedox ··· 0GGFY6LW

The way my current system is connected:
1) SD video from cable box via Composite to TV.
2) S-Video from cable box to Mit's S-VHS, then to TV.
3) HD video from cable box (and blu-ray) via Component to TV.

I use #1 for watching SD 480i/p from the cable box. I found this is better than #2, as the Panasonic HDTV (CT-36HX41) only uses the 3D-Y/C Comb-Filter on Composite, not S-Video. So because of this SD from the cable box looks better with Composite. But if I want to record to VHS/SVHS tape, or play a tape, I use #2, as the Mits unit has a 3D-Y/C Comb Filter when playing tapes. For watching 1080i from the box, I use #3, with the Component.

I have seen on-line a product called HD Fury
»www.hdfury.com/shop/
that can take two HDMI input sources and has an output for Component. You can toggle between which HDMI input you are using (box or blu-ray), but at almost $300, it's a bit pricy.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by FAUguy:

I have seen on-line a product called HD Fury
»www.hdfury.com/shop/
that can take two HDMI input sources and has an output for Component. You can toggle between which HDMI input you are using (box or blu-ray), but at almost $300, it's a bit pricy.

Thanks, that's an interesting (but expensive) site! »www.hdfury.com/hdmihdcp/