spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Hassan
@shawcable.net

Hassan

Anon

[AB] Shaw bb250 - awful speeds

hey just thought id ask since i really dont know what to do nor do i want to switch to telus based on what ive heard from them.

so heres what things are looking like atm:
(note im a newbie so it may take me a little bit to understand)
we moved to glen eagles (just outside calgary about 10 minutes on crowchild)
have been on broadband 250 for about 3 months now and i can honestly say as far as
wifi is concerned i cant even get 20mbps even when im right beside the router.
it is a 3 storey house and the router is on the main(or second floor) and is the generic cisco one
provided by shaw.
when i plug an ethernet cable from the router to my mac at most im getting about 170mbps
real problem is on the third floor
it is currently 7:55 pm and this is what im getting

any help would be great.

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

Do you get 170 mbps using Etherent, but .72 using WiFi?

If this is true, it is mainly your WiFi that has issues, not the Shaw connection itself

Are you using the Cisco modem as your WiFi router? Or is it in bridge mode with your own router?

Hassan
@shawcable.net

Hassan

Anon

roughly 170 on ethernet when no one else is streaming etc.
the modem is from a company named arris and it is also connected to a motorola drop amp
i dont know if that helps any?

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

You have the SB6728 modem? - Model is from memory... Or you are looking at the phone modem, not your internet modem.

Try changing the wireless channel, but I have not seen the interface for that one, I don't know where the setting is... You should have been given a card with a dedicated number for support when it was installed - that modem isn't common, is being tested by Shaw

Baud1200
join:2003-02-10

Baud1200 to Hassan

to Hassan
said by kevinds:

...Try changing the wireless channel,..

Like he said... Use a scanner app to find conflicting WiFi channels in your immediate area and set yours to a different channel.

What NIC are you using on your client PC, have you gotten the updated drivers for it?
Old cordless phones being used in the house?
Use a survey app to find any sources of inference...
»www.flukenetworks.com/en ··· Analyzer or similar.

If you don't absolutely have to, don't use the WiFi. Use it (the modem) in bridged mode with direct wiring, for both security and performance.