Hawk
Premium Member
join:2003-08-25

1 edit

Hawk

Premium Member

Popup survey after login?

Click for full size
While logging into the forum this evening, the usual login in screen appeared. My user name and password were populated with the password masked (as normal). Instead of taking me to my selected forums page, this survey offer popped up. Never saw this before. Without selecting any of the options I closed the browser. Before I did I took a snapshot of it. It seemed odd this would appear after the log in screen. Anyone have this happen? Should I just burn my laptop now to be safe?

dandelion
MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN

dandelion

MVM

Re: Strange Occurrence

Don't know.. two options. 1. »Security Cleanup FAQ »Mandatory Steps Before Requesting Assistance run a few of these or ask here? 2. »Security

jadinolf
I love you Fred
Premium Member
join:2005-07-09
Ojai, CA

jadinolf to Hawk

Premium Member

to Hawk
SO----what gift did you get?
63475675 (banned)
join:2014-01-06

63475675 (banned)

I just checked this site reviewmaster.org out on
Norton Safe Web and it checks out as not malicious.

»safeweb.norton.com/repor ··· ster.org

I wonder if a malicious site is spoofing their domain name?

Hawk
Premium Member

Hawk

Premium Member

I've run a couple clean up apps and will head over to the security clean up tomorrow as dandelion See Profile suggested. What struck me as being odd was that it popped up after I logged in.

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Numquam oblitus
join:2000-04-28
Hoboken, NJ

tmpchaos to Hawk

Numquam oblitus

to Hawk
Do you happen to recall what ads were on the login page?

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
join:1999-05-28

justin to Hawk

Mod

to Hawk
nothing to do with the site, 99% sure

»answers.yahoo.com/questi ··· 2AA5SI86

Hawk
Premium Member

2 edits

Hawk to tmpchaos

Premium Member

to tmpchaos
said by tmpchaos:

Do you happen to recall what ads were on the login page?

Didn't notice anything unusual or ads on the "log in" screen however my full attention wasn't really there either. What turned the lights on was the five or so references it made to the board. For the record, other than the snapshot I didn't proceed with the survey. Just closed it out which took me to "my forums" page as normal. As I look closer, it opened a separate tab on my browser.
said by justin:

nothing to do with the site, 99% sure

»answers.yahoo.com/question/index···2AA5SI86

I agree! More than likely just some crapware that snuck into my machine somehow. If it happens again, I'll just go through with the survey and give the board the high marks it deserves. I'm not worried about it and the reason I posted in dev/null initially was being curious if anyone else had experienced the same.

Edit: In reading your link, (after posting of course ) "opening Wikipedia on the Google Chrome web browser" looks to be the culprit.

Issue Resolved!

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium Member
join:2005-03-01
Polar Park

vaxvms to Hawk

Premium Member

to Hawk

Re: Popup survey after login?

This seems very similar to what you saw. Has anything modified your browser?
»Random Pop up

Hawk
Premium Member

Hawk

Premium Member

I was just reading that topic. No mods observed yet and suspect I won't find any. In the last day or so I did briefly visit Wikipedia.

Weirdal
Premium Member
join:2003-06-28
Grand Island, NE

Weirdal

Premium Member

said by Hawk:

I was just reading that topic. No mods observed yet and suspect I won't find any. In the last day or so I did briefly visit Wikipedia.

In that Yahoo Answers link Justin posted, the person is saying that they get the survey popups when the visit sites such as Wikipedia, not that Wikipedia caused it. I'd be very surprised if malware was spread through wikipedia considering they don't have any ads.
47717768 (banned)
join:2003-12-08
Birmingham, AL

47717768 (banned) to Hawk

to Hawk

Re: Strange Occurrence

May ask what kind of Anti-Virus or Anti-Malware you are running?
For more Internet security i would suggest using MVPS hosts file »winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm

Hawk
Premium Member

Hawk

Premium Member

Of course. MSE, Superantispyware 5.7.1018 & Winpatrol. Reading your link now. Thank you for the suggestion.
47717768 (banned)
join:2003-12-08
Birmingham, AL

47717768 (banned)

I would recommend installing Avast! Anti-Virus as well. »www.avast.com/en-us/index