uniqs

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan to peterboro

Premium Member

to peterboro

Re: [Weather] Passing a snow plow is a bad idea (HWY 11)

said by peterboro:

In my never ending selfish ME ME ME law breaking attitude I break the law every time I drive on the 401.

Of course I could obey the posted speed limit and exponentially increase the chances of killing myself and others on the road to appease your naive assumptions around how the world works.

Brings up a favourite story of mine, from back in the day...

My college room-mate (we lived in Peterborough, he was from Oshawa) drove the 401 every weekend... He got pulled over and ticketed for 20 over, which obviously didn't sit well... So that night, he called a couple of his friends, they got back on the 401, lined up side by side, and drove exactly 100 km/hr. They got tickets for impeding the flow of traffic in very short order.

His nick-name being "Hammerhead" - he requested a trial for both tickets... When called up to the bench, he presented both tickets to the JP and simply asked "Which one is it?" - JP lost it on him, read him the riot act up and down, left and right... Then dismissed both tickets, and told Chad to get out of his courtroom. If I wasn't there, I wouldn't have believed it - it was too perfect...

Moral of the story is - drive to the conditions and traffic, absolutes don't work in any fluid, dynamic situation... But being an aware, safe, and courteous driver does go a long way.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to IamGimli

Premium Member

to IamGimli
said by IamGimli:

Your rationalization for your illegal behaviour is of absolutely no significance or consequence. You are the poster child of those "ME ME ME" drivers who come up with all sorts of bullshit to excuse their illegal behaviour but expect everyone else to abide by the rules they find convenient for the specific circumstances that will allow themselves to continue their illegal behaviour.

Speed limits in Ontario and Quebec have nothing to do with safety and everything to do with emotions and politics. If you wish to disregard empirical evidence and documented facts as a means for some sort of woefully ignorant agenda fed by emotion, be my guest. You're not the first person to fall for this argument and by no means won't be the last. Just keep in mind that your opinion of speed limits and highway operating speeds does not change any of the facts as documented and presented. I have presented studies from Western Canada and two US states in the past during identical discussions with you. I will present them again if you require a refresher on the subject matter. Likewise, you are welcome to present actual facts that are contrary to what I presented previously. Best of luck to you, though. You'll need it, because last time we had this discussion all you did was drop off the face of the earth and rather than presenting any empirical evidence to back up your opinion of this issue.

miakica
join:2009-11-10

1 recommendation

miakica to Thane_Bitter

to Thane_Bitter
Provincial police say they have charged Akmal Hayat of Milton, Ont., with careless driving following a near-crash between two tractor-trailers on Highway 11 in northern Ontario last month.

The 31-year-old was also charged with failing to remain and report, contrary to the Highway Traffic Act, police said.

OPP tracked down Hayat after a video and audio recording of the incident was widely distributed on social media.

»www.cbc.ca/news/canada/t ··· .2535538

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter

Premium Member

Thanks for the update, its good they nailed him.

I_H8_Spam
join:2004-03-10
St Catharines, ON

I_H8_Spam

Would have been pretty easy, once the Police had the company; finding the driver would have been trivial.

Danger placards are very specific to certain loads, quick review of loads for the day would have identified the driver.

miakica
join:2009-11-10

miakica to Thane_Bitter

to Thane_Bitter
Yeah,
I won the bet...

nitzguy
Premium Member
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON

nitzguy to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
said by Gone:

said by IamGimli:

Your rationalization for your illegal behaviour is of absolutely no significance or consequence. You are the poster child of those "ME ME ME" drivers who come up with all sorts of bullshit to excuse their illegal behaviour but expect everyone else to abide by the rules they find convenient for the specific circumstances that will allow themselves to continue their illegal behaviour.

Speed limits in Ontario and Quebec have nothing to do with safety and everything to do with emotions and politics. If you wish to disregard empirical evidence and documented facts as a means for some sort of woefully ignorant agenda fed by emotion, be my guest. You're not the first person to fall for this argument and by no means won't be the last. Just keep in mind that your opinion of speed limits and highway operating speeds does not change any of the facts as documented and presented. I have presented studies from Western Canada and two US states in the past during identical discussions with you. I will present them again if you require a refresher on the subject matter. Likewise, you are welcome to present actual facts that are contrary to what I presented previously. Best of luck to you, though. You'll need it, because last time we had this discussion all you did was drop off the face of the earth and rather than presenting any empirical evidence to back up your opinion of this issue.

I'll only say this about speed limits in Northern Ontario (Where this near miss/accident occured)....they're 90 here for a reason...
Not many passing areas, hilly areas, I challenge anyone to safely drive 110 on the stretch between Sault Ste. Marie and Thunder Bay in the Winter....you can't...even in good conditions...let alone bad conditions....there are just too many hills and bumps and its just not safe...I'm sure the area up around Nipigon is the same too...

So, while the 400 series of highways are probably too slow at 100, the Northern Ontario Highways, until they get signifigantly upgraded, would remain 90 for safety reasons IMO....too many accidents as it is with the speed limit as it is....I couldn't imagine going 100 (aka 120) in those areas.

Tx
bronx cheers from cheap seats
Premium Member
join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON

Tx to IamGimli

Premium Member

to IamGimli
said by IamGimli:

said by Gone:

Wrong, again. But even if I explain to you - again - the whole 85th percentile rule and how differentials between vehicle speed is the cause of collisions and not the speed at which a vehicle moves, you won't believe me anyway. That's okay though, the empirical evidence and documented studies for which you willfully choose to ignore in favour of your own emotional opinion does not change. The facts on this issue are facts and do not change, but your opinion is like assholes, everyone has one.

Still making friends i see. Same old attitude from you. Not even going to bother a debate with you, you are an angel that does no wrong so debating that would be pointless since you're perfect. It was a MEMEME moment today when i did 65 in a 60 today

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to nitzguy

Premium Member

to nitzguy
said by nitzguy:

So, while the 400 series of highways are probably too slow at 100, the Northern Ontario Highways, until they get signifigantly upgraded, would remain 90 for safety reasons IMO....too many accidents as it is with the speed limit as it is....I couldn't imagine going 100 (aka 120) in those areas.

I don't disagree. The bigger problem is that there are straighter, safer two-lane highways in Southern Ontario with better sightlines that are posted at 80. And multi-lane freeways with no grade crossings and separate carriageways for each direction are posted at only 10KM/h more than those dangerous roads in Northern Ontario. There is simply no logic to any of it.

Xstar_Lumini
join:2008-12-14
CANADA

Xstar_Lumini to Thane_Bitter

to Thane_Bitter
Lol at all you claiming its a SUV when the camera carrier is clearly a full size 18 wheel truck... really? Does it look like an SUV to you guys
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

Late to the thread, are we?
That was made clear 40 posts ago.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter to Xstar_Lumini

Premium Member

to Xstar_Lumini
In defence of who ever suggested that, the truck filming it is not actually shown in the video; one can deduce that it is indeed a large truck by the sounds and height of the camera.
Doesn't matter if he was driving a Velam Isetta, the other truck should not have pressed ahead and forced him off the road.

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to Xstar_Lumini

Premium Member

to Xstar_Lumini
said by Xstar_Lumini:

Lol at all you claiming its a SUV when the camera carrier is clearly a full size 18 wheel truck... really? Does it look like an SUV to you guys

i thought it may have been a RAM pick up at first...in the beginning, there isn't really any perspective...when the truck is parallel with the other "rig" though, you can tell its size.

keep in mind though, the RAM trucks are "modelled" after big rigs.

I_H8_Spam
join:2004-03-10
St Catharines, ON

I_H8_Spam

said by dirtyjeffer0:

keep in mind though, the RAM trucks are "modelled" after big rigs.

Yep right down to the shitty ride, and semi like repair bills.

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

to be fair, i think the latest iteration is much improved (last few years)...the current generation of RAM trucks is actually very well reviewed.