spc
Search similar:

uniqs
fishacura
join:2008-01-25
Phoenixville, PA

fishacura

Copying from DVR to PC

I know this has been discussed but I'm having trouble getting a good answer for now (meaning boxes/ability change over time).

I have the QIP7232 box. I'm thinking about a home media server because all my DVDs are getting out of hand and I'd love to be able to simply back them up in one place. But I'd also like to be able to use it to expand what I can do via the DVR (instead of getting a separate HD which I know is always an option).

Anyone have success getting DVR content to a home media server?

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

»Verizon FiOS FAQ »How can I save shows off my Verizon DVR?
fishacura
join:2008-01-25
Phoenixville, PA

fishacura

Thx! This is part of the old info I spoke of (since it references windows XP...that's 3 versions ago)

Anyone out there used the USB/Hauppauge connection successfully?

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

1 edit

Thinkdiff

MVM,

The Hauppauge converter is just a video capture device - no reason it wouldn't work. The problem is that you need to play everything in real time on the DVR and make sure it doesn't get interrupted. There will also be a slight loss in quality due to the conversion process.
»www.hauppauge.com/site/p ··· pvr.html

If you want good (perfect) quality copies quickly, the only way is to get a TiVo or CableCARD tuner for your computer and use Windows Media Center. I'm not sure about WMC, but there are programs to convert the .TiVo files you can download from the TiVo into normal MPEG2 files for playback anywhere. (This only works with channels other than HBO on FiOS). You can download from modern TiVos at rates >15MB/sec, so 8x real time or faster (hour long show in 6 minutes).
Shady Bimmer
Premium Member
join:2001-12-03

Shady Bimmer to fishacura

Premium Member

to fishacura
I typically use firewire to transfer content from my DVR in the rare case I want to do so. This works for most of FiOS content other than HBO/Cinemax which have copy protection flags.

Alternatively I also have a Hauppauge! HDPVR2 that can capture via Component, S-Video, or HDMI (I have used all three at different times).

With firewire the transfer is a digital copy of the original recording but with a capture device such as the HD-PVR there is an extra decode/sample/encode process that introduces another generation "loss".

If you want to do this more than as a one-time I would second the option of going with a separate cable-card tuner such as the HD Homerun Prime or Ceton InfiniTV.

Vindicator
join:2014-01-01
New York

Vindicator to fishacura

to fishacura
What I have done in the past was with the MRDVR play the recorded program through the WinTV application on my media server and record it. It's worked for me many times. I use WinTV HVR-2250.