Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1
reply to Brim77

Re: [Appliances] How to Choose a Washing Machine?

said by Brim77:

My personal machine (which I made sure to get on my employee discount before I quit) is this baby: »www.sears.com/kenmore-elite-4.0- ··· 1473000P This is seriously the Cadillac of washing machines.

Looks just like my home machine. It's actually a LG and it is a great machine. Too bad the OP doesn't want to consider front loaders. I think they are the best also.

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House Net..
·ooma
said by robbin:

said by Brim77:

My personal machine (which I made sure to get on my employee discount before I quit) is this baby: »www.sears.com/kenmore-elite-4.0- ··· 1473000P This is seriously the Cadillac of washing machines.

Looks just like my home machine. It's actually a LG and it is a great machine. Too bad the OP doesn't want to consider front loaders. I think they are the best also.

Looks alot like my LG as well. I suspect LG makes it for Kenmore. My father bought a Kenmore fridge recently that was made by LG. I also agree about the front loaders, as I've had none of the problems others have mentioned.

I read the manual when I bought it and have used the machine accordingly.
--
So put me on a highway, and show me a sign.
And take it to the limit one more time...

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
join:2006-01-11
not Sweden
kudos:2
reply to Brim77
said by Brim77:

I'm a (successful) former appliance salesman. I'm telling you right now, DO NOT GET AN HE TOP LOAD WASHER! You can only load them up to about 1/3 of the drum size and anymore than that the clothes will not get clean. No agitator = dirt getting stuck in between layers.

I've got to respectfully disagree. I own and use a Whirlpool Cabrio HE top loader and routinely load that sucker right up to the top rim with muddy children's clothes, and they always come out clean. You have to load the drum around the perimeter, leaving a column opening in the center (read the manual for specifics on loading). The drum is large, so the volume of clothes it will take is pretty large. There is nothing wrong with buying an HE top loader.

telco_mtl

join:2012-01-06
said by SwedishRider:

said by Brim77:

I'm a (successful) former appliance salesman. I'm telling you right now, DO NOT GET AN HE TOP LOAD WASHER! You can only load them up to about 1/3 of the drum size and anymore than that the clothes will not get clean. No agitator = dirt getting stuck in between layers.

I've got to respectfully disagree. I own and use a Whirlpool Cabrio HE top loader and routinely load that sucker right up to the top rim with muddy children's clothes, and they always come out clean. You have to load the drum around the perimeter, leaving a column opening in the center (read the manual for specifics on loading). The drum is large, so the volume of clothes it will take is pretty large. There is nothing wrong with buying an HE top loader.

I am going to second what you are saying

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom
quote:
Whirlpool Cabrio HE top loader and routinely load that sucker right up to the top
My daughter and son and law have the Wirlpool Top Loader Cabrio and that's how they use theirs. They love it.

We have a Whirlpool HE front loader. Bought it in 2004 and we have had excellent results with it.

hsindogg
Premium
join:2002-06-21
Potomac, MD
reply to John97
said by John97:

Looks alot like my LG as well. I suspect LG makes it for Kenmore. My father bought a Kenmore fridge recently that was made by LG.

Kenmore rebrands, it just depends on the model and appliance. My fridge is a rebanded Whirlpool, and my frontload washers are rebranded LG's.

LG manufactures most washing machine tubs and motors, everyone else rebrands them with their own bells and whistles from what I was told by a sales manager at Bray & Scarff.

Brim77

join:2012-03-16
Lansing, MI
Reviews:
·Spartan-net
Kenmore is rebranded from other products, but they have higher standards and specifications than the original machine. That's why you see Kenmore products frequently rated higher than the original item.

I sold a dishwasher to an old timer who said he was a project manager for Whirlpool back in the day. His exact words, "Those Kenmore people from Sears were the FUSSIEST bunch I had ever seen. You COULD NOT get away with any defect on ANY of their stuff. Rusty parts, bends or warped metal went on Whirlpool stuff, only the best went on the Kenmores. " 30 year project manager for Whirlpool bought a Kenmore that day.

Brim77

Lansing, MI
Reviews:
·Spartan-net
reply to SwedishRider
Nothing is wrong with buying a top load, but there are less issues with front loaders. Front loaders are like the old school top loaders: you can load them completely full without having to wrap individual clothes around the drum like you do with a top loader. Complaints about a machine "walking" across the laundry room from spinning so fast? Doesn't happen with a front loader.

Brim77

Lansing, MI
Reviews:
·Spartan-net
reply to Lurch77
If the OP wants a washing machine that is the most efficient and easiest to use, he needs to go with a front loader. Out of the thousands of machines I've sold, only six people EVER returned their front load for a top load. As for people that exchanged their top load for a front and/or came to the store regretting their top loader purchase? I lost count.

I was a 100% commissioned salesman, and when someone returned their top loader it would get taken out of my paycheck. There's a reason I pushed front loaders so hard: I knew if they got them, they would love them.

hsindogg
Premium
Potomac, MD
reply to Brim77
said by Brim77:

Complaints about a machine "walking" across the laundry room from spinning so fast? Doesn't happen with a front loader.

I would only caveat that with a properly leveled front loader. When we first got ours delivered, the guys basically dropped it off, hooked up the cold/hot water, and left. First run was loud, and bouncy. Called Sears and they sent out an A&E van who probably specialized in washers. He spent almost 2 hours to perfectly level the washer/dryer, and now the only noise I have is front the water valves.

Boricua
Premium
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto
reply to Brim77
said by Brim77:

Complaints about a machine "walking" across the laundry room from spinning so fast? Doesn't happen with a front loader.

I don't know what you mean about "walking" across. I installed the linked Samsung top loader myself and she hasn't moved not one inch or millimeter to this day. The only noise I get is when she's done hearing the bell indicating so.
--
Illegal aliens have always been a problem in the United States. Ask any Indian. Robert Orben

hortnut
Huh?

join:2005-09-25
PNW
Reviews:
·Comcast

2 recommendations

reply to Lurch77
Came across this site not long ago.

Who makes what?
»www.appliance411.com/purchase/ma ··· ke.shtml

Some Sears machines are made by Whirlpool, for example, to Sears Specs.

Beyond that we have a Washer and Dryer that we purchased in 1969 that are still going strong. They are Maytags.

Brim77

Lansing, MI
Reviews:
·Spartan-net
reply to Boricua
I dont know what machine you have so i cant really respond. Any good washing machine now will have a direct deive motor in it though. With direct drive motors in washing machines, they spin at much higher speeds than belt driven systems. Mine spins out at 1100 rpm's, the clothes are almost dry before I even throw them in the dryer. You didnt see that alot with previous washing machines because they usually had concrete poured in the base to weigh it down, and the belt systems couldn't spin as fast. Unless you have the machine jammed in a corner, the sensors will handicap a modern machine into spinning slower so it won't shake its way across the floor.

OP has a big family and it sounds like he won't be the only one doing laundry. Front loaders are easier to use for everybody, top loaders you have to be careful how you put the clothes in and how much you put in as well.

hsindogg
Premium
Potomac, MD
reply to hortnut
said by hortnut:

Beyond that we have a Washer and Dryer that we purchased in 1969 that are still going strong.

I had some 80's maytags and were also going strong, but were terribly inefficient and I finally caved in for HE frontloaders. HE's are night and day...wash cycles are 45 minutes, and dry cycles are not much longer than 60. My old dryer took 3-4 hours for bed linens and towels.

The only thing I'm not really zealous about with more modern appliances is all the digital parts.

hortnut
Huh?

join:2005-09-25
PNW
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by hsindogg:

I had some 80's maytags and were also going strong, but were terribly inefficient and I finally caved in for HE frontloaders. HE's are night and day...wash cycles are 45 minutes, and dry cycles are not much longer than 60. My old dryer took 3-4 hours for bed linens and towels.

The controls on both are pretty simple, yet advanced for their day as to selection of cycles. A wash is about 45 minutes and drying is the most an hour with towels and several pairs of jeans. Dryer does have a moisture sensor and I think that helps. Have considered replacing them a time or two, but measured amount of water, washer was using and it was not that much. Repairs have been needed over the years, but they have been simple and I have been able to do them myself.

So when they crap out will have to come back to this thread as a start.

Brim77

Lansing, MI
reply to hortnut
Sears machines are made by LG, Samsung, GE, Electrolux, Frigidaire and Whirlpool. That site is incorrect for ranges too, GE hasn't made a Kenmore range for several years now.

toby
Troy Mcclure

join:2001-11-13
Portland, OR
reply to Brim77
said by Brim77:

If the OP wants a washing machine that is the most efficient and easiest to use, he needs to go with a front loader.

Very true. For efficiency you need to get a front loader, a top loader just moves clothes around for a while and tells you its clean.

It does seem a lot of people are stuck in their old ways, and won't change.

The first time I saw a top loading washing machine was in the mid 1990's here, I assumed it was made in the 1960's, as the only time I had seen was on tv in the Wonder Years. But no, it was brand new, I was surprised, coming from Europe.

SparkChaser
Premium
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by toby:

There are other reasons. Having spent a fair about of time in Europe I'm used to the front loaders but.... not bending is a good thing for some people. I realize that I can get it put on a pedestal but at 69 and only 2 people do I want to spend 2K-3K for a washer-dryer set up.

The answer is no
--
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." - Aldous Huxley

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it." - Neil deGrasse Tyson

telco_mtl

join:2012-01-06
reply to Brim77
said by Brim77:

Sears machines are made by LG, Samsung, GE, Electrolux, Frigidaire and Whirlpool. That site is incorrect for ranges too, GE hasn't made a Kenmore range for several years now.

And GE has farmed out its appliance manufacturing to the mexican MABE company, who does have plants in canada and the US

Shady Bimmer
Premium
join:2001-12-03
Northport, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Lurch77
Do you have a clothes dryer? That is a real question since not everyone does.

Personally I find moving clothes between a front-load washer and my dryer far easier than when I had to reach in to pull clothes out of a top-load washer only to bend over and toss them in the dryer.

There is a larger selection of front-load HE washers than top-load HE washers and as already noted HE front-loaders tend to use less water than HE top-loaders.

Beezel

join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV
reply to Brim77
said by Brim77:

Depends on the floor composition, and the levelness of the machine. My Whirlpool Duet Sport when I first installed it. I properly leveled it and was mounted on the 15 inch pedestal. It would walk away from the wall on spin. The laundry room was on a second floor and the tiles were some composite material. The surface of the floor was to slick for the feet, and the slight vibration from the floor because of it being a second floor laundry room. I put little soft rubber squares under the feet and made sure it was still level, and it stayed put after that.

So it does happen if certain situations occur.

hsindogg
Premium
Potomac, MD
reply to Lurch77
Stop Walking!

»www.amazon.com/dp/B0051S4ZZM/ref ··· 7PAVN8VM

Booost

@151.190.40.x
reply to SparkChaser
said by SparkChaser:

said by toby:

There are other reasons.

Front loaders won't fit where my washer and dryer are located.

Beezel

join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV
said by Booost :

said by SparkChaser:

said by toby:

There are other reasons.

Front loaders won't fit where my washer and dryer are located.

Why, they aren't usually bigger than normal machines. Unless you have a stacked apartment size.

BillRoland
Premium
join:2001-01-21
Ocala, FL
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to Lurch77
My parents have a Whirlpool Carbio top load HE washer that replaced a traditional top loader, it works great, they love it. Haven't had any problems, uses a fraction of the water. I have a front load GE HE washer and it too has worked great.

Rojo_P

join:2001-10-03
Lancaster, OH
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Beezel
Click for full size
said by Beezel:

Why, they aren't usually bigger than normal machines. Unless you have a stacked apartment size.

Lots of us have different homes. Couldn't get doors to open in my setup.

PrntRhd
Premium
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to BillRoland
said by BillRoland:

My parents have a Whirlpool Carbio top load HE washer that replaced a traditional top loader, it works great, they love it. Haven't had any problems, uses a fraction of the water. I have a front load GE HE washer and it too has worked great.

Just to explain the water savings, the Cabrio spins the load with a little water and then stops it to determine the load size by weight. It then measures the water based on that test spin/stop cycle.

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside
reply to Lurch77
I have a washer and dryer that are probably 25 years old but they work. The handle broke on my washer and it's a PIA to use now, but still works. I might just buy a new HE front loader washer. With my old washer, I would dry clothes for an hour. With a new washer, how long would I likely need to dry the clothes for?

PrntRhd
Premium
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by fartness:

I have a washer and dryer that are probably 25 years old but they work. The handle broke on my washer and it's a PIA to use now, but still works. I might just buy a new HE front loader washer. With my old washer, I would dry clothes for an hour. With a new washer, how long would I likely need to dry the clothes for?

The Duet series dries the loads as fast as the washer can wash them.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
reply to Lurch77
If you buy a Sears Kenmore brand appliance, there is a three-digit prefix before the model number that identifies the manufacturer.

You can then google "Sears Prefix" and it will have several websites with their lists of manufacturers. The lists are incomplete but give a good idea.

They mainly use Whirlpool and LG. My high efficiency Kenmore is made by LG.

I myself like the front loaders as they are the easiest on the clothes. Since I ditched the traditional top-loader my clothes have lasted much longer and have not been getting holes in T-shirts anymore.
--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner and I currently have DirecTV. They are much better than broadcast TV.

I have not and will not cut the cord.