Postal8
First pull up, then pull down.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-30
Simi Valley, CA

Postal8

Premium Member

Trying to get TV sound through stereo receiver

I have a Samsung UN40EH6000F TV. Here's a link: »www.samsung.com/us/suppo ··· 6000FXZA

I also have a Sony STR-DA1000ES receiver. Here's a link: »esupport.sony.com/US/p/m ··· howtoTab

Here's a link to the receiver manual: »docs.sony.com/release/ST ··· sion.pdf

I'd like to have the sound for the TV come out the speakers on the receiver. I bought the red and white jacks and hooked them up to the audio out on the TV, and then hooked them up to the TV/SAT audio in on the receiver. I turn on the TV and receiver, set the receiver to TV/SAT, but the TV sound does not come out the stereo speakers.

In the TV settings I can set the sound to 'external speaker', but still no luck.

Anyone know how I can get the TV sound to come out through the receiver?

Thanks for any help.
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave

Premium Member

That's basically all there is to it. TV audio output to some input on the receiver. Select 'external speakers' on TV. Select appropriate input on receiver.

So, check your wiring. Try another input on receiver. Try a different cable. Try plugging headphones into the receiver.

You don't have the TV sound on 'mute', do you? That often cuts audio to the rear-panel connections as well as to the internal speakers.

Postal8
Premium Member
Simi Valley, CA

Postal8

Premium Member

No, Tv is not muted.

The TV is hooked up to my cable box via HDMI cable. Does that mean I can't use the RCA plugs? Do I have to use digital cables?
anti_windoze
join:2001-07-08
Fontana, CA

anti_windoze

the cable box to the tv via HDMI is fine, you can also use the rca out of the cable box to the tuner inputs. both outputs should be active at the same time, mine are.
dave
Premium Member
not in ohio

dave to Postal8

Premium Member

to Postal8
STB to TV via HDMI, TV to receiver via analog audio-out ought to be ok. I'm pretty sure I used to have my Samsung TV wired up that way.
dave

dave to Postal8

Premium Member

to Postal8

According to the manual at the link you gave, the TV does not have RCA audio output jacks. It has some connector that I can't identify, and the diagram shows a weird-connector-to-RCA cable.

Sly
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Tennessee

Sly to Postal8

Premium Member

to Postal8
said by anti_windoze:

the cable box to the tv via HDMI is fine, you can also use the rca out of the cable box to the tuner inputs. both outputs should be active at the same time, mine are.

This is probably your best bet... Your TV's audio output is only for the analog RCA audio inputs (if I read your manual correctly). It looks like your TV will not split the audio signal out of the HDMI and send it back to the TV.

Since your receiver doesn't have HDMI inputs, I would recommend sending audio out of your cable box to the receiver either by RCA or optical if your box has it.

Another option is that you can get an HDMI audio converter: »www.amazon.com/J-Tech-Di ··· mi+audio

You would hook the cable box HDMI up to the converter. From there you could hook up RCA or Optical to your receiver for audio. Then you would hook another HDMI cable from the converter to your TV for video.
Sly

1 edit

Sly to dave

Premium Member

to dave

Optical Toslink cable
That looks like a stereo 1/8" to RCA cable. Some might call it an 1/8" TRS to RCA. You can get them at Radio Shack and other places.

The 1/8" plug and the optical connection are the only outputs on this TV. If neither one puts out audio when HDMI is the source, then the OP will need to hook up the receiver to the cable box directly or get an HDMI audio converter.

The other output is optical (Toslink). They are not very common anymore but that receiver does have this an an input option.
dave
Premium Member
not in ohio

dave

Premium Member

I'd call it a 3.5mm stereo jack

I'm familiar with the cable, but the Samsung diagram doesn't really look like that. It could just be a lousy diagram, of course.

A 3.5mm jack is a cheesy manufacturing choice, they're not particularly robust.

My own earlier Samsung TV has RCA jacks for analog audio out, and they're effective for all inputs.

I believe the TV has a builtin audio self test, might be worth trying that.

Postal8
Premium Member
Simi Valley, CA

Postal8 to dave

Premium Member

to dave
said by dave:

According to the manual at the link you gave, the TV does not have RCA audio output jacks.

This is correct. Those are for input. I was using the wrong jacks.

After a quick trip to Best Buy (where I bought the TV), they suggested I use a digital optical audio cable going from the TV to the receiver. This worked.

And yes, the other audio output on the TV is for a 3.5mm plug to an RCA cable as shown in the pic above. The guys at Best Buy weren't sure if this would work since the TV is hooked up via digital HDMI from the cable box, so I went with the optical cable and all seems well.

Thanks for the replies.

printscreen
join:2003-11-01
Juana Diaz, PR

1 recommendation

printscreen

Of course, the guys at Best Buy were doing their job of upselling you with the more expensive choice. I am pretty sure the 3.5mm plug to RCA would work fine. My own TV is hooked to the audio receiver in the same way (source is either component or HDMI) and audio is sent to the receiver from the audio out on TV with regular RCA cables. My TV has RCA jacks for the audio out, though. But glad you solved your problem anyway.
dave
Premium Member
not in ohio

1 edit

dave

Premium Member

Depends.

Analog: you're using the DACs in the TV.
Digital: you're using the DACs in the receiver and (probably*) not in the TV.

Which of your devices has the better DACs?

(*) unless the TV converts the input to analog and back to digital on output
NefCanuck
join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON

NefCanuck to printscreen

to printscreen
said by printscreen:

Of course, the guys at Best Buy were doing their job of upselling you with the more expensive choice. I am pretty sure the 3.5mm plug to RCA would work fine. My own TV is hooked to the audio receiver in the same way (source is either component or HDMI) and audio is sent to the receiver from the audio out on TV with regular RCA cables. My TV has RCA jacks for the audio out, though. But glad you solved your problem anyway.

The optical cable also has the advantage of passing to the receiver the DD5.1 signal (if one is present) in the broadcast, where the RCA solution can't because its only two channel.

NefCanuck

Sly
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Tennessee

Sly

Premium Member

Plus the optical cable can not pick up RF interference.
broccoli
join:2007-11-29
Portland, OR
Draytek Vigor2860Vac
EnGenius EAP600
Obihai OBi100

broccoli to Postal8

to Postal8
If your TV and receiver are fairly new, the TV should pass the audio to the receiver via the HDMI cable. This feature is called ARC. On my Sony receiver, ARC needs to be enabled in the setup menu.

If ARC is not available, you should use a Toslink cable to connect your TV's digital audio output to the receiver.

printscreen
Juana Diaz, PR

printscreen to NefCanuck

to NefCanuck
said by NefCanuck:

The optical cable also has the advantage of passing to the receiver the DD5.1 signal (if one is present) in the broadcast, where the RCA solution can't because its only two channel.

My receiver is fairly old (from 1998) but has Dolby Surround. How come then that audio from the TV, Bluray or from the computer can have surround sound being fed through RCA jacks? The TV and the computer both have optical outputs but I am not using them because the receiver does not.
NefCanuck
join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON

NefCanuck

said by printscreen:

said by NefCanuck:

My receiver is fairly old (from 1998) but has Dolby Surround. How come then that audio from the TV, Bluray or from the computer can have surround sound being fed through RCA jacks? The TV and the computer both have optical outputs but I am not using them because the receiver does not.

"Dolby Surround" is not 5.1 channel audio but actually 2.1 channels, which is why your TV can pass the signal to your receiver (the .1 is a mix of information from the left and right channels as I understand it)

NefCanuck

Steely
I rise when the sun goes down
Premium Member
join:2000-10-15
Princeton Junction, NJ

Steely to printscreen

Premium Member

to printscreen
NefCanuck See Profile is correct about your TV's RCA jacks. They are analog outputs and can carry only one channel each, hence at best they can feed a stereo audio signal to your receiver. The "surround sound" you hear is created by the Dolby Pro Logic or Pro Logic II circuitry inside your receiver but it is NOT the discrete 5.1 channel mix encoded into the source programming. To pass that, you need a digital (optical, coax, HDMI, etc.) connection from the source device and a receiver capable of decoding it. The term "surround sound" is generic and can apply to just about any playback system involving more than left and right front speakers. For more, see this.

printscreen
Juana Diaz, PR

printscreen

It's actually Dolby Pro Logic now that you mention it what the receiver has. Looking at the link you provided it actually carries four channels by means of phase shifting. So it is not as good as 5.1 but better than simple stereo.

Steely
I rise when the sun goes down
Premium Member
join:2000-10-15
Princeton Junction, NJ

Steely

Premium Member

It actually creates four channels from two. And I agree: not as good as 5.1 but better than simple stereo...in most cases!