uniqs
share rss forum feed

Lurch77
Premium
join:2001-11-22
Oconto, WI
kudos:4
reply to Lurch77

Re: [Appliances] How to Choose a Washing Machine?

We are eye balling this washer: »www.gendronsinc.com/en/catalog/p···TW5800BW

And this dryer: »www.gendronsinc.com/en/catalog/p···ED5800BW

Any thoughts on the models? Those links are to my local shop. But looking at the Best Buy site for reviews on them I see the dryer gets good reviews, while the washer gets mixed reviews. Those reviews seem to be the trend for just about all washer and dryers. It seems the washers get mixed reviews no matter the brand and model. That's what makes choosing a model difficult. On the plus side some of the negative reviews are from people that just don't like the amount of noise or control layout, etc, and not that they just don't work.

PSWired

join:2006-03-26
Annapolis, MD

Curious why you're looking for a top loader?

Lurch77
Premium
join:2001-11-22
Oconto, WI
kudos:4

Cabinets above the washer prevent elevating it much, such as on pedestals. I am 6'6" tall, and my wife is taller than average. We don't want to bend down more than needed.

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
join:2006-01-11
not Sweden
kudos:1
reply to Lurch77

Click for full size
I think those are the updated models of the washer and dryer that I have. I have the gas version of the dryer, but they appear to be the same otherwise. I give them a thumbs up for whatever it's worth.

Rojo_P

join:2001-10-03
Lancaster, OH
reply to Lurch77

said by Lurch77:

We are eye balling this washer: »www.gendronsinc.com/en/catalog/p···TW5800BW

And this dryer: »www.gendronsinc.com/en/catalog/p···ED5800BW

Any thoughts on the models? Those links are to my local shop. But looking at the Best Buy site for reviews on them I see the dryer gets good reviews, while the washer gets mixed reviews. Those reviews seem to be the trend for just about all washer and dryers. It seems the washers get mixed reviews no matter the brand and model. That's what makes choosing a model difficult. On the plus side some of the negative reviews are from people that just don't like the amount of noise or control layout, etc, and not that they just don't work.

When I was searching for a new washer and dryer a few years ago I was shocked to find that these things are generally not built very well today, with none standing the test of time as they did years ago. I believe you are smart to look for a reasonably priced but well rated product. You may not give Consumer reports much credit, but FWIW your choices of both washer and dryer were not only recommended but were best buy models. CR had this to say:

WASHER
Highs (Using the Normal cycle):
-Washing performance is very good.
-Energy efficiency is very good.
-Water efficiency is very good.
-Capacity is excellent.
-Vibration is excellent.

Lows (Using the Normal cycle):
-Gentleness is just good.
-Noise is just good.

DRYER
This Whirlpool full-sized dryer was Very Good in overall performance offers:
-excellent in drying.
-excellent in capacity.
-very good in noise.
--
There's nothing big I want to prove,
No mountains that I need to move,
Or even claim what's right or true for you.

mix

join:2002-03-19
Utica, MI

1 edit
reply to Lurch77

said by Lurch77:

We don't want to bend down more than needed.

Consider a front loader. You're still going to have to bend over when you unload the washer and load the dryer.

treetop1000

join:2003-11-07
Lexington, KY
reply to Lurch77

Get them. I bought the matched set from Lowes and I've am thrilled with them. only thing I dont like is that damn "job done" beeper. Somebody here in the house keeps turning it "on" and then ignoring it when it goes off. I hate that. If you are going to want a signal, then complete the task and show up at the machine when they are done, not two days later when you need a clean blouse.