spc
Search similar:

uniqs

charlieanflo
@bellsouth.net

charlieanflo

Anon

[Help] Getting STARTED, Security field left blank says "LOGIN ERROR!!"

I'm new to this so please don't assume I know all the jargon. I've inherited this system several years ago from my wife's ex-husband, and he's no help. I don't have the install disks.

Looking at the control panel (192.168.2.1) I see "Security" is Disabled. Obviously I'd like to start by fixing that. The Belkin page *says* to leave it blank and hit "Submit." That results in only "LOGIN ERROR!!"

So I'm stuck there.

In case it helps, I'm using a Belkin Wireless G, model F5D7230-4.
I do see the stickers with the WLAN MAC, LAN MAC, and WAN MAC addresses.
I can see all the other settings on the setup page, but I don't know which ones matter.

ALL I WANT RIGHT NOW is to SECURE the network with a strong password to prevent any piggybacking or hacking.

I'd appreciate ANY direction to existing common-language explanations already posted, or what-to-do-next.

Thanks
C&F

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA
Linksys E4200
ARRIS SB6141

aefstoggaflm

Premium Member

Re: [Help] Getting STARTED, Security field left blank says "LOGIN ERROR!!"

Issue number one
said by charlieanflo :

The Belkin page *says* to leave it blank and hit "Submit." That results in only "LOGIN ERROR!!"

#1 That is because the default login credentials, is blank.

#2 If you do not the current login credentials, you can reset the router to the defaults.

#3 That is/should be addressed in the manual / user's guide for this router.

#4 As where to find the manual / user's guide for this router:

a) On the CD that came with it.

b) From the vender's website download area.

Tip: Make sure that you have a wired connection to the router, so that you do not lock your self out when securing the wireless network.