What's the best guard/prisoner ratio?
How do you usually start the game?
How many workers?

Still trying to find sweet spots

shinjuru

join:2000-10-29
West Coast

shinjuru

KoshVorlon See Profile did a bit a while back.

»[Game] Prison Architect

Gundy
Premium Member
join:2002-10-29

Gundy to TigerLord

Premium Member

to TigerLord
I saw this game listed awhile back on sale and I passed it up. I thought it was really buggy or something and wasn't worth looking at yet? Has that changed?

Maybe I've just been misinformed. I did watch a some streams on it forever ago, and it looked pretty interesting.

TigerLord

join:2002-06-09
Canada

TigerLord

Theyre at alpha 17 now, so they keep releasing a lot of content.

Havent encountered a bug so far, seems pretty stable.

Gundy
Premium Member

Gundy

Premium Member

said by TigerLord:

Theyre at alpha 17 now, so they keep releasing a lot of content.

Havent encountered a bug so far, seems pretty stable.

Cool, I'll have to check it out this evening. It looks pretty fun.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron to TigerLord

Premium Member

to TigerLord
I got this as part of a Humble Bundle a while back, but I haven't tried it yet, sounds like it's worth investing some time. Thanks for the heads up.

EQ

TigerLord

Canada

TigerLord

Click for full size
I have got a serious contraband problem and not sure how to fix it.

Anyone else plays this? I fire it up every once in a while to check out the updates.

Warning: fairly addictive.

I do regular shakedowns, I've got CCTV, phones tapped, metal detectors at all entrances, numerous dog patrols... nothing does it. Only way to effectively lower contraband % that I found was to use a CI.

Would enacting harsher punishments work better?

Gundy
Premium Member

Gundy to TigerLord

Premium Member

to TigerLord
Man I bought this and played it forever ago, and couldn't put it down. Had some stuff come up and was unable to play for awhile. Saw it in the holiday thread and thought man.. I wonder whats new in the recent updates.

This game was so friggen addictive. Has anyone kept up to date with the new updates? Is it out of alpha yet?

TigerLord

Canada

TigerLord

I play this a lot still.

It is still in alpha, but it has received a shit ton of features since you probably last played.

-You can now hire confidential informants through the Intelligence menu. You need to recruit prisoners who are under duress (such as when they're in solitary). Then you activate them (they get transferred to the security room while active). It gives you live contraband intel (which prisoners carries what), but if you act on that intel while your CI is in activate state, prisoners will grow suspicious (a meter fills up) and if it gets too high, the CI will get shanked in the showers. The trick is to activate the CI, note down all the guilty, release the CI then you shake them all down and throw them in the hole.

-You can now research micromanagement (1000$) if you wish to micromanage multiple kitchens and canteens (separating max security from the min security guys is not a bad idea), as well as edit guard schedules by the hour.

-CCTV/phone booth taps were simplified. CCTV now handle 8 cameras instead of 3. One phone tap covers all phone booths.

-Remote door openers, pressure pads, etc. to setup a more automated and efficient prison.

-You can offer various classes and educations reforms now

-New workshop job: carpenters

-You now buy land plots adjacent to your prison when you need to expand, rather than selling the prison and starting from scratch.

Lots of more stuff I must have forgotten. A great source of information are the dev journals, they always go over each new feature in details, but they also waste a lot of time kidding and making unfunny jokes during them.

diablo18926
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise
join:2011-04-21
Friendly, WV

diablo18926 to TigerLord

to TigerLord
This cracks me up everytime

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· -ruI7O8c

TigerLord

Canada

TigerLord

Latest dev video:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· JAg4qMkE

Gundy
Premium Member

Gundy to TigerLord

Premium Member

to TigerLord
I'll have to give it a go tonight and see what all is new. I felt like this was one of those simulation games where you could just play and play and it was still fun.

I had hoped it was out of alpha though, hopefully they are close.

GroovyPhoenx
Premium Member
join:2006-05-22
Gloucester, ON

GroovyPhoenx to TigerLord

Premium Member

to TigerLord
I bought it a few weeks back when it went on sale for like 5$ or something in a steam special.

So far I'm happy with it though there is a stiff learning curve to play this game and how to build, once you start getting the hang of it, it is quite addictive.

I sold my first small prison for 215k, so I think I did alright, I'm learning more and more of the tricks.

My first run was an abismal failure where I had 100+ prisoners waiting and only 12 cells built I didn't know I could "turn off" the intake!!!

There is a LOT of micro management but once you get the hang of it it's pretty fun.

As for guard ratio, I like a 3 prisoners to 1 guard ratio at least when you have no CCTV etc since they need supervision more.

Keeping the prisoners happy I have found help cut down on a lot of the problems too, give them food jobs and programs as well as the common room and a good visitor place and it all works out in the end.

I think I did alright overall.

TigerLord

Canada

TigerLord

It's true that there is a lot of micromanagement, which is why you should pause the game whenever you aren't sure what is going on.

I usually close prisoner intake from the start until I have, at least:
-Perimeter fenced in
-4 offices
-Holding cell
-Kitchen+canteen setup
-Showers

Once you have those you can take in your first shipment of prisoners. There should be enough time to do all that if you hire more workers before the first prisoners arrive, but its overwhelming the first few games, so stop the intake first (click on prisoner count on top then click on OPEN to set it to CLOSED for all three security).

De default you'll take in normal security prisoners only, but you can take only min sec if you're having trouble handling order, only max sec for more money or a mix of normal and max sec.

I usually get dogs as fast as possible because they're the only way to detect tunnels, and prisoners will dig them and get out. Daily shakedowns at night + canine units made sure I could control contraband and avoid escapes.

215k for a first prison is real good. It helps when you start with that kind of money on your next prison. Personally I don't like starting over because it takes at least 1 hour to get a prison running from the ground up. After that I concentrate on raising prisoner limit and keeping it all working. I'm at 250 max sec now but am having issues with prisoner demands being met.

Gundy
Premium Member

Gundy to TigerLord

Premium Member

to TigerLord
Fired up the game to play a few hours this evening and see what all is new.. However I kept running into the "route blocked" issue. I couldn't install plumbing or some electrical underneath stuff because of this. It even happened out in the middle of my complex with absolutely nothing in the way.

Is there some bug with this, or a way to fix this?

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron to TigerLord

Premium Member

to TigerLord
I got this with an HB or some bundle a while back, but I haven't played. I did just get an ideal though, it would fun to recreate Orange is the New Black in a prison sim.

EQ

TigerLord

Canada

TigerLord

said by El Quintron:

I got this with an HB or some bundle a while back, but I haven't played. I did just get an ideal though, it would fun to recreate Orange is the New Black in a prison sim.

EQ

When I binge watched S1 thats when I bought the game lol

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by TigerLord:

When I binge watched S1 thats when I bought the game lol

I've never played a sim-style game so re-creating OITNB in one would be something I could get behind.

EQ

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium Member
join:2010-08-24
Mexico

Jobbie

Premium Member

Just make sure you have the blueprints available at all times.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

Creepy. Is that from Oz?

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium Member
Mexico

Jobbie

Premium Member

Series called Prison Break

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by Jobbie:

That's substantially less terrifying than Oz. Which is a good thing.

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium Member
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY

kingdome74

Premium Member

I still get the willies when I see commercials for Farmers insurance.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by kingdome74:

That guy is an awesome actor, but his Oz persona is going to stick with me forever.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
join:2009-01-07
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone to Jobbie

Premium Member

to Jobbie
said by Jobbie:

A shame really.

That show had so much potential. Too bad it turned to hot dog shit early into the 2nd season.

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
join:2001-11-26
Earth

Exodus

Premium Member

Sounds like Heroes.

SixOfNine
Brake In A Ladylike Manner.
Premium Member
join:2001-08-30
Sterling, VA

SixOfNine to El Quintron

Premium Member

to El Quintron
said by El Quintron:

said by kingdome74:

That guy is an awesome actor, but his Oz persona is going to stick with me forever.

Fortunately, I can remember him more from his prior role as one of the prosecution side's shrinks in Law and Order.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by SixOfNine:

said by El Quintron:

said by kingdome74:

Fortunately, I can remember him more from his prior role as one of the prosecution side's shrinks in Law and Order.

He was pretty cool as Juno's dad, and J. Jonah Jameson, but Vernon Schillinger is going to be his monster, he'll be remembered for it always.

EQ

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium Member
Mexico

Jobbie to Ghastlyone

Premium Member

to Ghastlyone
said by Ghastlyone:

said by Jobbie:

A shame really.

That show had so much potential. Too bad it turned to hot dog shit early into the 2nd season.

Totally agree man.

SixOfNine
Brake In A Ladylike Manner.
Premium Member
join:2001-08-30
Sterling, VA

SixOfNine to El Quintron

Premium Member

to El Quintron
said by El Quintron:

He was pretty cool as Juno's dad, and J. Jonah Jameson

Yeah, he's done a ton of stuff, both on-screen acting and voice work. That might help. I'll also throw in the voice of Tenzin on Korra, and he's already pulled in some awards for best supporting actor in Whiplash.

Then again, I only watched Oz in dribs and drabs.