uniqs
share rss forum feed

acadiel
Press fire to begin
Premium
join:2002-06-22
kudos:2

[iPhone] Greyed out (ghosted) WiFi

Well... started having an issue on my secondhand iPhone 4S where WiFi would periodically be grayed out and not work. Did a bunch of Googling, and the consensus was either to reset network settings and to toggle airplane mode on/off or it being a hardware issue. Tried the network settings and reset methodologies to no effect. Thank goodness the unit still had a few months of AppleCare left on it. Apple's shipping me out a replacement unit.

Anyone else have this sort of issue on here with an iPhone 4S? If so, what was your outcome for fixing it?

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS
The wifi on my iPhone died (I can't remember if was the 3G or 4) and luckily for me, I made it to Apple Store just a few days before my warranty was up -- they swapped it out then and there and I had no more problems while I had that phone (for about another year, I upgrade every two years).
--
♬ Dragon of good fortune struggles with the trickster Fox ♬

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
Premium,MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX
kudos:1
reply to acadiel
My son's 4S did the same thing. It was a hardware issue. The phone was over one year old but Apple gave me a new one in store anyway.
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
kudos:1
reply to acadiel
Happened to me once as well, sounds like hardware

koolman2
Premium
join:2002-10-01
Anchorage, AK
reply to acadiel
I work for Tech Support for a carrier that sells iPhones. I have talked to many customers with this issue. It seemed to be more common around the iOS 6 or 6.1 if I remember right, but seemed to affect more 4S than others, but that may be due to volume of that model at the time.

Unfortunately, as tech support, if standard resets didn't work, I'd send customers off to either a retail outlet or to Apple directly, so I'm unsure of the outcome. Resetting network settings didn't really seem to help from what I'd gathered, but I did hear of one customer getting their phone replaced by Apple out of warranty for this issue.

YMMV

acadiel
Press fire to begin
Premium
join:2002-06-22
kudos:2
reply to acadiel
Got the replacement iPhone 4S from Apple, and it works fine. Sent them back the original, and they said they received it.

The only strange thing was that I sent them a black iPhone 4S and got a white one in return. Very, very strange for them to send the wrong color in return. I really don't care and will not even make a fuss about it, but have they ever done this swap-a-roo with anyone else?