spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

teksavvy_not

@teksavvy.com

47Mb on 50/10 with a solid line, Teksavvy NOT.

Is it ok to only get 47/10 on a 50/10 line with perfect sync?
YES, according to a Teksavvy supervisor of tech support, "because dsl has 10-20% overhead"
complete LACK OF SUPPORT, didn't even try.

Speed was 50.5/10.7 first few months, then went down to a max of 47.
Line stats remained identical, modem config remained identical.

modem: SmartRG in Bridge via ethernet
sync: 53951 / 11321 (attainable 62348 / 14995), no errors..
speedtest server: any
time of day: any

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Start Communicat..

sounds like you were speaking to a clueless person. your sync clearly shows you have a higher than 50Mbit sync/profile to deal with the overhead to give you an effective 50Mbit connection.

do you have a SmartRG? I believe there's some issue with TSI and SmartRG modem with possibly the TSI firmware that makes VDSL2 cap out at 47Mbit/sec.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
reply to teksavvy_not

I remember seeing people mention this odd speed before... I myself have never encountred it.
--

Expand your moderator at work

kdr65
Premium
join:2004-10-03
East York, ON
reply to teksavvy_not

Re: 47Mb on 50/10 with a solid line, Teksavvy NOT.

I was right on 50/10 when I got DSL last April. When I finally was able to bridge the Sagemcom, I dropped to 50/7.5. When I switched to the SmartRG (bridged via ethernet) last week, I dropped down to 47/7.5. Except today, my speeds have gone as low as 1 up and 3.5 down. But then my modem system log is full of errors and a reboot fixes it - I'm currently at 5 reboots today.

Attainable Rate (Kbps): 60695 11360
Rate (Kbps): 53951 8128

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to teksavvy_not

I also experienced this problem. Since it only occurs on TSI logins, it's clear that it's a problem with TSI's network...

Seriously, I do a speedtest on TekSavvy, 47 meg. I switch to an Acanac login, 50 meg. Back to TekSavvy, 47 meg. Acanac again, 50 meg.

EDIT: Not even resyncing or rebooting the modem here, JUST changing the login.
--
Latest version of CapSavvy systray usage checker: »CapSavvy v4.2 released!

teksavvy_not

@teksavvy.com
reply to jmck

yes, smartrg, i got full 50/10 on the same firmware for the first few months.

Guzpaz mentions the same issue here:
»[DSL] SmartRG (50/10 profile) VPN speeds

quote:
The 47 Mbps speed on a 50 meg service that you're seeing is really something TekSavvy ought to look into, since it doesn't happen if you change the ISP login...

TSI Mike
TSI Mike
Premium
join:2007-10-09
Chatham, ON
reply to teksavvy_not

Can you post your info over in the Direct forum so we can take a look?

»TekSavvy Direct

elitedev

join:2013-05-05
Chatham, ON
reply to teksavvy_not

That sounds about right. If your sync rate is 53951, you need to minus 12.9% for overhead (9.4% ATM, 1.65% TCP, 1.3% IP, .53% PPPoE). Once you do the math, your left with 46991kbps. The person you spoke with at TekSavvy is correct to say that the overhead needs to be calculated into the speedtest results.

paulwye

join:2007-02-17
Toronto, ON

I think you're a little off there. The VDSL2+ implementation uses PTM, not ATM. PTM's overhead cost is lower, so the sync rates don't need to be as high. On my 25/10 line, downstream sync is 26943, which is about 5.25% overhead based on my quick math. Extrapolate for a 50/10 link and you get 53888...which is pretty close to his posted 53951.

In other words, the line should be good for the full 50. Whether or not the last 3 mbit is worth sweating over is another matter.

elitedev

join:2013-05-05
Chatham, ON

1 edit

I'm too tired to think clearly, the math worked so I assumed it was correct. I wasn't thinking ADSL/VDSL. Thanks for clarifying that.

teksavvy_not

@teksavvy.com

I posted in the direct forum, here goes nothing
thank god for Guspaz and his other dsl login confirming this.

adit

join:2013-04-02
Oakville, ON

3 edits
reply to teksavvy_not

I am with Start. For the first few months after getting it I got constantly 50.4/10.6 on every speedtest I performed. The last two months is a constant 49.14/10.6 . Small difference, I know but my stats did not change also. My line can take more than double of that from modem stats page and the SNR is > 20.I suspected that maybe speedtest.net changed somehow their way of calculating the speed ? If I use dslstats program the graph shows the speed higher than 50. It's interesting that it happened also after a few months of above 50, with no change whatsoever in configuration on my side. One day it was a constant above 50 on every test, since then is a constant 49.14 on every test time of day.I even was suspecting the cold/snow/ice a s a factor, but again 1 mbit/s is not something a sweat about just curious of the cause (in case I get another drop in the future).The SmartRG is from start with the original firmware, no updates.

TSI Alan
Premium
join:2012-11-22
Chatham, ON
kudos:5
reply to Guspaz

Hi Guspaz,

Could you please run a trace route to cbc.ca, while connected via your Acanac and TSI logins?

That will give us some helpful supporting data to provide to our Network team for follow-up.

Thank you.
--
TSI Alan (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee
Follow us on Twitter: @TekSavvyCSR; @TekSavvyNetwork

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC

I'll try to remember to do that tonight, sure.

TSI Alan
Premium
join:2012-11-22
Chatham, ON
kudos:5

Great. Thanks for your help!

Flux

join:2013-07-10
canada
reply to TSI Alan

I hate doing tests with targets that won't allow the test to complete. Even if it's unimportant, there's just something about a completed route test that's appealing to me.

TSI Gabe
Router of Packets
Premium,VIP
join:2007-01-03
Gatineau, QC
kudos:7
reply to Guspaz

I think I may know why this is going on, we have a rate limit by default @ 50Mbps for all DSL users so to protect our backhauls, it's become a problem where some DDoS attacks would basically shutdown an entire link and bring down a lot more users with it.

I've just increased these to account for the overhead.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

said by TSI Gabe:

I think I may know why this is going on, we have a rate limit by default @ 50Mbps for all DSL users so to protect our backhauls, it's become a problem where some DDoS attacks would basically shutdown an entire link and bring down a lot more users with it.

I've just increased these to account for the overhead.

How come it was just affecting a few users, or at least the few that spoke out about it? Static vs dynamic perhaps?

I've never experienced it.
--

teksavvy_yes

@teksavvy.com

I am now getting full speed )

big thanks to the person responsible for figuring this out.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON

Gabe to the rescue!
--

The Flash
Go Leafs Go
Premium
join:2002-10-17
Toronto, ON
kudos:1

All hail GabeB

TSI Gabe
Router of Packets
Premium,VIP
join:2007-01-03
Gatineau, QC
kudos:7
reply to HiVolt

said by HiVolt:

Static vs dynamic perhaps?

Yes something like that

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to teksavvy_not

The changes Gabe made did indeed resolve the issue for me.

simsin0

join:2008-01-06
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to teksavvy_not

yep mine too are at max now: