spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

JAC70

join:2008-10-20
canada

[Internet] Yahoo hack - are we affected AGAIN?

Well, Yahoo admitted they were hacked (this time.) Are we affected again?

wayner92

join:2006-01-17
Toronto, ON

Who do you mean by we? Users of Rogers email?

Why would anyone ever use an email address provide by their ISP?

Anzio

join:2008-11-22
Innisfil, ON
reply to JAC70

Also curious if @rogers.com email users are affected. Probably best to change our passwords just in case.

RLBL

join:2012-11-26
Gloucester, ON
kudos:1
reply to wayner92

What about yahoo.com/.ca (not required to be rogers)

wayner92

Toronto, ON

Sure but then why post in a Rogers forum.

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
kudos:2

Because @rogers.com emails are supplied by Yahoo.

RogersElise

join:2010-09-08
Canada
reply to JAC70

If you had been impacted, you would have received a message requiring you change your password. Any customer impacted would not be able to log on unless they changed their password.

That said, it's always a good idea to change your passwords regularly. And to remember to never use the same password on multiple sites or services

JAC70

canada

Thank you, Elise. Might I suggest, again, that Rogers should reconsider the use of Yahoo as their email provider. They have clearly shown, multiple times, that they cannot provide a secure service.

sm5w2

join:2004-10-13
St Thomas, ON
reply to JAC70

I am not a rogers customer, nor do I use yahoo for email. But I do receive fraud-spam where the spammer is using an active rogers.com email address for 2-way communication. See this thread for details: »How easy is it to create "rogers.com" address for spam

It has been speculated that hackers might be creating secondary mail accounts once they have access to a primary rogers.com account.

I don't know how easy it is for someone with a rogers.com account to check and see if additional accounts have been created using their main account, but it seems like a good idea to check for the existance of any such accounts - and delete them if found. Those accounts would presumably still be active and usable by spammers even if people change the password of their main or primary account.

Also - for those that have rogers.com or yahoo accounts - log into your accounts through a webmail portal and check the sent folder - look for messages there that you didn't send. If you find messages there that you didn't send, then your account was hacked and it was used to send spam.

dabonz

join:2012-05-17
Ottawa, ON
reply to wayner92

cuz when you do bizness you dont want a yahoo or hotmail you want something presentable Unless you have a domain and sever

iFly55

join:2010-01-19
canada
reply to JAC70

Why on god's green earth are people using Rogers' e-mail service? USE SOMETHING ELSE!

At the end of the day it's not a free service, you're most likely paying +$300/mth for your wireless/cable/internet services. The day when you decide to cut these services, you lose your e-mail?

People... use some common sense and get FREE reliable services like gmail & hotmail. Maybe you're using Rogers to secure that coveted address elise@rogers.com.

But iff you're truly running a "bizness", you'd be using your own domain anyway: elise@shoeshine.ca
--
All hail Conservative Overlords!

wayner92

Toronto, ON

@iFLy55 - I agree 100%. And you can even hook your own domain name into Gmail.

PRIUS

join:2009-09-17
Toronto, ON
reply to JAC70

I echo JAC70 remarks. Rogers should separate from Yahoo altogether and go solo with its own email service. This is primarily the reason why I don't have / never set up an email address with Rogers / Yahoo! Yahoo! is the worst for being hacked into and a haven for spammers.

yyzlhr

Scarborough, ON
reply to iFly55

Believe it or not, there are still a lot of consumers are not tech savvy enough to figure out how to use email. A lot of customers use the ISP provided emails because they can call in have people walk them through everything. You don't get that with Gmail or Hotmail.

Hooter

join:2009-08-17
Scarborough, ON

While not a fan of Yahoo and their email services, I am not sure I would want to rely on Rogers to be providing email services either. I mean, just look at their history with everything else. They take what would appear to be perfectly good PVR boxes and ruin them with firmware updates, causing customers no end of grief. Getting them to even admit that there are issues is a long drawn out process and getting them to provide a fix takes even longer. I won't even even begin to get into the issues with their modems as there are numerous posts on here already.

Also, take a look at the MyRogers account page. I have never experienced the issues that I experience with this page with any other company, bank, utility, etc. etc. The lag time, the number of times it is down altogether, the links on the page that often do not work - just incredible. The idea of Rogers now providing my email services is just a nightmare waiting to happen.

yyzlhr

Scarborough, ON

Again most customer are not tech savvy enough to notice any of these issues. If they do, they tend to just blame themselves for not being tech savvy.

JAC70

canada
reply to iFly55

said by iFly55:

People... use some common sense and get FREE reliable services like gmail & hotmail.

Hush, child. Hotmail was hacked at least twice.

Xstar_Lumini

join:2008-12-14
Canada

said by JAC70:

said by iFly55:

People... use some common sense and get FREE reliable services like gmail & hotmail.

Do you guys hide your top secret documents in your hotmail e-mail? No? Then what's the worry Hotmail has been hacked? The worse that can happen to me is that hackers will hijack my Youtube account and my DSLreports account and upload nasty videos/pics? What else can they do to harm me? Maybe e-mail nasty stuff to my girlfriend?

JAC70

canada

said by Xstar_Lumini:

said by JAC70:

said by iFly55:

Do you guys hide your top secret documents in your hotmail e-mail? No? Then what's the worry Hotmail has been hacked? The worse that can happen to me is that hackers will hijack my Youtube account and my DSLreports account and upload nasty videos/pics? What else can they do to harm me? Maybe e-mail nasty stuff to my girlfriend?

Add to your Wiki page?