uniqs
share rss forum feed

PA23

join:2001-12-12
East Hanover, NJ
reply to ITALIAN926

Re: Here comes the Router rental fee of $4.99

said by ITALIAN926:

Youre kidding, please tell me youre kidding. The FiOS MultiRoom DVR is an awesome thing. Ive never had a Tivo, I researched it once. The upfront costs, the DVR + lifetime service for the unit, is OUTRAGEOUS. If you dont get lifetime, the monthly charge is still like $16 a month PLUS cable card. Giving it no financial edge over the FiOS DVR.
Love your Tivo with additional tuners few people actually need, but when yours burns out and your SOL, maybe your tune will change. FioS DVR's , lets see, lifetime coverage for malfunction. I'll take the FiOS DVR, thanx.

I think the cost of a FiOS multi-room DVR is now $32 per month? so if you take $32 - $5 (cable card fee) its costing you $27 a month more than a TiVo with lifetime service. I purchased my first TiVo, I paid $240 for a used Premier with lifetime service. (premiers are cheaper now since they are the old model) so if you take $240 / 27 you break even in under 9 months. A Roamio (current model 4 or 6 tuners, a boat load of storage) is expensive, (with lifetime new rounded up to the next full month
)
Roamio Basic - $700 - 26 months
Roamio Plus - $900 - 34 months
Roamio Pro - $1100 - 41 months

If my numbers are wrong then simply adjust them accordingly.

I do admit, you loose the callerID and VOD but that doesn't bother me.

Also the two most common items to fail on the DVR is the hard disk followed by the power supply. There is a procedure on the Premiers to replace the disk with a new (larger if desired) disk, the Roamios are simple drop in a new disk and go. Power supplies are also available from various vendors.
--
It's the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fine

ITALIAN926

join:2003-08-16
kudos:2
In what dimension do you pay $32 a month for FIOS MRDVR? and considering that a Tivo is not MR-DVR, the proper comparison is a standalone FIOS DVR which is $16.99 , (MRDVRs are $19.99 a month).

PA23

join:2001-12-12
East Hanover, NJ
ok, then at $15 a month 240 / 15 = 16 months to break even on a used Premier, obviously quite a bit longer for the Roamios.
--
It's the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fine

ITALIAN926

join:2003-08-16
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to PA23
quote:
Roamio Basic - $700 - 26 months
Roamio Plus - $900 - 34 months
Roamio Pro - $1100 - 41 months

and you want to ignore the cable card charge over that time period?

I have to quote myself from another forum
quote:
The bottom of the barrel Roamio cost $199 + $499 service. That is $700, and you cannot ignore the $4.99 cable card rental while the up-front costs are being paid off. $16.99 VZ DVR - $4.99 Cable Card= $12. $700/12 = 58 months to break even.
Want their top of the line? Its $599 + $499 92 months to break even :yikes:

Of course Lifetime service is not required, then only$14.99 / month service is required, now an alternative to a VZ DVR is costing you $20 a month with Cable Card indefinitely.

and to check my math for 58 months, Verizon DVR at $16.99 / mo $985
Price of cheapest Tivo $700 with Lifetime "service", plus 58 months of cablecard@4.99 = 289 total $989

Yea, I'll keep my FioS DVR, Tivo is not even a consideration considering a pathetic Tivo 1 year of warranty.

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY
What is lost in your numbers is that if you buy lifetime you can RESELL these devices and they have good resale value. I have had friends that upgrade every two years and pay out of pocket no more than $100. With a lease, it's $0 residual.

Verizon gave me the MRDVR free for a year, and it sucked so bad compared to W7MC I just turned it back in 6 months early. I could get over the fact that my 4 remote STB all sucked up 15 W 24/7. That was adding over $10 a month to my electricity bill.

Also new tivos do have remote capability (Tivo Mini).

I am with you however, the upfront cost is exorbitant, however today 2014 you can build a W7MC solution for MUCH less than Tivo or MRDVR. Extenders can be had for under $100 and I new Intel boxes can be had w/ disk for about $250. Add a HDHR for $89 and you are off to the races w/ 3 tuners. If you want more buy a Ceton.

The BIG elephant in the room is Verizon's cost for their new VMS boxes. I don't think Verizon is going to make them cheaper than current devices, and if that is so then they are no better except maybe more tuners than what is out there.

sivran
Seamonkey's back
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX
kudos:1
said by elefante72:

Also new tivos do have remote capability (Tivo Mini).

Tivos have been networking since at least Series 2. One S2 Tivo can playback recordings made on another, if they're on the same account.
--
Oh, Opera, what have you done?

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY
I was talking about not buying another DVR, but you bring up an excellent point. When I had my Tivo's that did not work properly but that was long ago...If I recall it wasn't a stream, you had to download the whole thing first... They have MRS now tho...

The new model is much better, except the cost of the mini it crazy expensive w/ lifetime...

My concern is if the FCC allows Cablecard to go away (the operators are trying), this would turn all 3rd party existing devices (mine included) into paperweights, so I'm wary on any big investments at this point. At least w/ W7MC I can always sell my extenders as gaming consoles.