Houghton Lake, MI
Reviews:
·Charter

Firefox not runing but still in task list

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
I have noticed a few times in the last month that firefox is not running but it is listed in the task manager. After some closer looks it seems, the firefox listed in task manager is pointing to a tracker site. When in this state I can not start firefox as it is all ready running.

I have attached a few screen shots I got from process explorer.

Has anyone seen this before?
Or ever heard of turnto.com?

I searched the reg for the Autostart Schedule GUI and it points to SkypeSetupLight So maybe it is a Skype firefox Plugin problem, I did close (Quit) Skype and then closed firefox maybe that did it some how.

mmainprize

join:2001-12-06
Houghton Lake, MI
Reviews:
·Charter

Click for full size
Well i do not have a Skype plugin installed in firefox, i think i had one before and uninstalled it.
It seems maybe it never fully uninstalled as i am running Skype 6 now and this screen shot looks like Firefox is trying to download and install Skype 5.8

So i guess i will delete this scheduled task and see if this problem goes away. I do not know where this task came from, that is what i need to find out and hope it is not some malware, i am scanning my system now.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to mmainprize

Turnto.com is a social-network/marketing service provider. From their site:

quote:
Social Q&A for your online store Get your customers to answer shopper questions about your products. Deliver lots of fast, authentic answers to every question. Increase conversion rates, build customer loyalty, generate mountains of UGC for SEO, and reduce call center load. ...

TurnTo Social Commerce Suite provides two products built on a common data and management platform:
Social Q&A Platform Enables shoppers to ask questions of customers who actually bought the items they are considering. ...
Checkout Chatter On checkout, gets answers to the question “Why did you choose this?” producing as much as twice the comment volume as customer reviews. ...
As such, it could be linked to any number of products that use its services.

--
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -- A. de Tocqueville

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to mmainprize

How are you closing Fx? Use File/exit.

turnto.com is an ad site that Ghostery blocks. Its mission "is to socialize online commerce."

»www.ghostery.com/apps/turnto
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

mmainprize

Houghton Lake, MI
Reviews:
·Charter

Thanks guys

I am using Ghostery and need to reset it to block all, i may have let a few sites through.

I close Firefox like normal but that last running task don't have a window. If you noticed it had two ports open both on this PC talking to each other. Both ports were listed as Local and remote.

I do not boot this PC very often, maybe every few months. I open Firefox and it stays open for weeks at a time. I have three Firefox Windows and each windows has about 10 tabs. So i close Firefox now and then when i run ccleaner or some other program that wants it closed to run.

I deleted the task in the scheduler and it removed the Autostart schedule GUI entry's in the reg. I will have to see if i still find the firefox/turnto.com session running in the future as i am not sure what started that at this point.

My scans did not find anything. MSE, CCleaner, Malware Bytes. Going to run my rootkit scanner next.

As far as i know this only started (Firefox not fully closing) after the last Skype update a few weeks back. Also i now see ads in skype and before i did not see them

mmainprize

Houghton Lake, MI
Reviews:
·Charter

1 recommendation

reply to Blackbird

said by Blackbird:

Social Q&A Platform Enables shoppers to ask questions of customers who actually bought the items they are considering. ...

Well i did just buy something from Newegg, and i did get an email, to ansewer some questions from other customers at there site. Maybe i should check into that as i did go to that site to look at the question, and i clicked the link in the email. It was from Newegg so i did not think it was spam.

EDIT: That is it, it was the email from newegg. The link is to turnto.com so that is where the hung session of firefox came from.

MacGyver
Don't Waste Your Energy
Premium,ExMod 2003-05
join:2001-10-14
Canada
kudos:2

Weird Application hangs in task manager just like this is why I stopped using Firefox.

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to mmainprize

said by mmainprize:

I close Firefox like normal but that last running task don't have a window.

Well, what you actually do is to send Firefox (or any other program) a message telling it you'd like it to exit. It responds by removing its window, doing any other cleanup it needs to do, and terminating.

So there's plenty of room for bugs to show up between 'remove window' and 'terminate', resulting in never getting to the latter. It's not necessarily suspicious, could be just common or garden lousy programming.

If you noticed it had two ports open both on this PC talking to each other. Both ports were listed as Local and remote.

That's a fairly common technique for organizing the internal operation of programs. Again, not necessarily suspicious.

Also, all TCP connections have a 'local' and 'remote' end. 'Remote' may mean on your local PC, and if there's one of these internal connect-to-self connections, the remote end will necessarily be on your PC. What you actually see in the netstat/TCPview output is 'half connections' - so when it's a connection from your PC to your PC, there are two half-connections, one for each end.

--
My diagnosis is "bug". Naturally, you'll still want to track down the offending software, but I wouldn't worry about it being malware based on the evidence so far.

mmainprize

Houghton Lake, MI
Reviews:
·Charter

Thanks Dave

Good to know that connection is some what normal as it looked funny to me, i never look that close most of the time.

Yes, i don't know why it stayed open, but it did not close when i closed Firefox. I did find out where that process was started, it was a link in a E-mail from Newegg that i followed. So the general rule of never click a link in an e-mail rings true again. I trusted Newegg but never again for something like this.

therube

join:2004-11-11
Randallstown, MD
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to mmainprize

> a few times in the last month that firefox is not running but it is listed in the task manager

None of this is normal.
And if it is not just a fluke, iow, something repeatable with a given set of steps to repeat, then there is certainly something wrong.

Is there an Extension or Plugin related to this? To the feedback from Newegg?

Expand your moderator at work

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12

1 edit
reply to mmainprize

What if you open PROCESS EXPLORER,find the process for firefox and choose END PROCESS TREE??

mmainprize

Houghton Lake, MI
Reviews:
·Charter

1 edit

Yes i can kill the process just fine from Process Explorer. It just did not have a windows to go to to do it. The first time i just killed it and did not look close at what it was, this time i tracked it down to the link from the Newegg e-mail. That was the process and link that was listed in process explorer that had no window.

The other scheduled task that was located was something that i think was left behind from an older version of Skype and a Firefox Skype plugin that i no longer use and have uninstalled long ago, so i deleted the scheduled task as it was not needed.

My real worries were at first, it looked like it was linked to Skype, and i had just read about an AD network in Skype being hacked and i wanted to make sure that was not what was going on here. As a mater of fact, i had just closed Skype (Quit) for the first time in months, the night before i found this issue. I had though maybe that had something to do with the Firefox issue but i was wrong.

I have no issue with Firefox now, i can close it and it is removed from the task list like normal. I have not tested the Newegg e-mail link to see if i get the issue again as i do not need to answer customer question for Newegg and be tracked by that tracking company while doing it. But since the Firefox process i found in process explorer had the same link as the e-mail from newegg i know that is where it came from. To the best of my memory i had followed that link twice and i had the issue twice.

EDIT: Note, i also run NoScript and Ghostery and both of this may have caused that tracker site to not work right, and most likely that cause Firefox to hang in some way.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12
reply to mmainprize

Im glad ya got it taken care of

WeenieAlso

join:2002-01-29
Pasadena, MD
reply to mmainprize

Re: Firefox not runing but still in task list

Happens to be alot !, Both at home and at work. No rhyme or reason I can come up with as to why it does it. Firefox has other annoying "features" to. One that hits me daily is ssl errors trying to goto a site I have already visited and closed. Only way around is to close and reopen firefox and that is where I get the hidden firefox alot.

falcon04

join:2005-03-03
reply to mmainprize

Try this little app. I have a shortcut in the lower far left of the tray - a red X - which I left click when this "Multiple instance" of FF occasionally occurs, or FF hangs for any reason. This seems to be a bug in FF which comes and goes with version changes:

»cybernetnews.com/cybernotes-shor···rograms/