share rss forum feed

TheTechGuru

join:2004-03-25
TEXAS
kudos:2
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
·WesTex Connect

[Appliances] SBS Refrigerator No Longer Getting Cold After Moving...

All fans are working and compressor is running.

Removed panel inside back of freezer and this is what I found:

The rest of the coils are barely cool.
--
CompTIA Network+ Certified

PrntRhd
Premium
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA

Likely has a leak allowing refrigerant levels to be too low.

Beezel

join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV
reply to TheTechGuru

Check the defrost timer and element. It may not be defrosting causing the coils to freeze up. You can probably look up the model on-line and find a how to for checking the defrost cycle.

Bornloser

join:2002-09-04
Alliance, OH
reply to TheTechGuru

It's a leaker! Dump it!!

b_p_smith

join:2002-02-13
Merrickville, ON
reply to Beezel

Had to go through this recently. Definitely check the defrost timer, like Beezel says. It's easy to check, and usually cheap to fix.
--
Xplornet WiMAX -} Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH running DD-WRT -} about 13 machines running everything you can think of.

TheTechGuru

TEXAS
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
·WesTex Connect
reply to PrntRhd

said by PrntRhd:

Likely has a leak allowing refrigerant levels to be too low.

Do you know of any brick and mortar stores that sell piercing valves at reasonable prices? I really can't wait for a online order to get here.

OReilly's Auto Parts has a can of DuPont R134a for about $13 and I already have a A/C manifold gauge set.
--

TheTechGuru

TEXAS
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
·WesTex Connect
reply to Beezel

said by Beezel:

Check the defrost timer and element. It may not be defrosting causing the coils to freeze up. You can probably look up the model on-line and find a how to for checking the defrost cycle.

The defrost element does not contact the area where the ice is forming, as I said in my OP the rest of the coils are not getting cold, just the first 6 to 9 inches of them.
--
Expand your moderator at work

PrntRhd
Premium
Fairfield, CA

1 edit

Re: [Appliances] SBS Refrigerator No Longer Getting Cold After Moving...

You are not allowed to service the refrigeration unit unless you have EPA certifications, you have to find a tech with current certs to work on it.
The Clean Air Act requires the certs.

TheTechGuru

TEXAS
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
·WesTex Connect

said by PrntRhd:

You are not allowed to service the refrigeration unit unless you have EPA certifications, you have to find a tech with current certs to work on it.

I have both HVAC and MVAC certs. This is just my first time messing with a fridge, always worked on home A/C's and automotive A/C's.

Concept's are still the same for the most part, difference I see is home and auto you don't want to see frost on the coils, but as I understand on a fridge frost is inevitable if you ever plan on the freezer getting below freezing which is why they have defrost heaters.

and actually since this fridge uses R134a which is available to anyone that wants it at your local Walmart certification should not even be required as the fridge holds about 5 oz's of refrigerant compared to 30 ish oz's a automotive A/C's uses which does not require certification to work on if it is post 1992 R134a.

Looks like I'll have to order from Amazon if no local stores sell them: »www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002YTQ8G/
--

Bornloser

join:2002-09-04
Alliance, OH
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
reply to Anon

Been in the appliance/refrigeration field for 35 years. Average life of ANY appliance is 7 years to 9 years if you are lucky. You are at that point. If you know what you are doing, fine. Fix it yourself. Don't bother calling a service company. Wasting your money!

mityfowl
Premium
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX
reply to TheTechGuru

Click for full size
I've had better luck than these averages but they must be fairly close.

iknow_t

join:2012-05-03
reply to TheTechGuru

register with Grainger. they have them there..

Sly
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Chuckey, TN
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Callcentric
reply to PrntRhd

said by PrntRhd:

Doesn't apply to R410 or R134a.

»www.epa.gov/ozone/title6/608/faq.html

Besides, it's not as though it's difficult to get your certification. $25 and an openbook study manual you can sit on your couch with a can of beer in your underwear and become a "licensed tech".

»www.epatest.com/608/openbook/

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
reply to TheTechGuru

said by TheTechGuru:

Do you know of any brick and mortar stores that sell piercing valves at reasonable prices?

Is there a Johnstone Supply in your area?

printscreen

join:2003-11-01
Juana Diaz, PR
Reviews:
·Choice Cable TV
·Coqui/PRTC
reply to mityfowl

said by mityfowl:

I've had better luck than these averages but they must be fairly close.

The lifespan of modern appliances are shorter than they were in the past. Most major appliances in my house except for the refrigerator (1.5 years) are at or near the low side on the life expectancy chart. However, some of the ones they replaced lasted longer than the high side of the chart.

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel

2 recommendations

reply to TheTechGuru

Low refrigerant for sure. If it was a defrost issue, there would be a relatively even coating of ice on the entire coil.

Vibrations and stresses due to moving and transporting the fridge likely caused a leak somewhere.

This probably goes without saying, but topping up the refrigerant charge is not going to be a permanent fix. You'll have to find where it's leaking and repair the leaky joint.

Beezel

join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV
reply to Sly

said by Sly:

said by PrntRhd:

Doesn't apply to R410 or R134a.

»www.epa.gov/ozone/title6/608/faq.html

Besides, it's not as though it's difficult to get your certification. $25 and an openbook study manual you can sit on your couch with a can of beer in your underwear and become a "licensed tech".

»www.epatest.com/608/openbook/

Since when did the 608 become a open book test. when I got my 608 Universal I had to have a proctored exam. That site raises some red flags. My 609 for auto was a open book.

said by PrntRhd:

Sly is right you don't need a certification for R-134a and R-410. Except maybe in the world of California.

TheTechGuru

TEXAS
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
·WesTex Connect

said by Beezel:

Since when did the 608 become a open book test. when I got my 608 Universal I had to have a proctored exam. That site raises some red flags. My 609 for auto was a open book.

Only 608 Type I is open book, II, III and universal are proctored.
--

PrntRhd
Premium
Fairfield, CA

I was simply stating the average consumer who does not know refrigeration should not attempt to refill the refrigerant. In this case the OP does know what he is doing, so it is OK.

TheTechGuru

TEXAS
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
·WesTex Connect
reply to TheTechGuru

All fixed for now.

--

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

Did you find the leak?

Tex
Premium
join:2012-10-20

3 recommendations

said by garys_2k:

Did you find the leak?

Putting that saddle valve on there, he created one.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom

1 recommendation

reply to TheTechGuru

said by TheTechGuru:

All fixed for now.

Until the freon you put in it leaks out. It leaked out of a sealed system once. You didn't fix the leak so what you put in will leak out.

edale

join:2012-01-21
Seattle, WA

1 recommendation

reply to TheTechGuru

Saddle valve not a solution

You know that saddle valve is going to leak soon...

The small rubber patch that seals around the pierced hole in the copper tubing deteriorates and leaks no matter how hard you crank down on the clamp screws.

TheTechGuru

TEXAS
reply to TheTechGuru

Re: [Appliances] SBS Refrigerator No Longer Getting Cold After Moving...

Still freezing cold...