PrntRhd
Premium Member
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA

1 edit

PrntRhd to Anon

Premium Member

to Anon

Re: [Appliances] SBS Refrigerator No Longer Getting Cold After Moving...

You are not allowed to service the refrigeration unit unless you have EPA certifications, you have to find a tech with current certs to work on it.
The Clean Air Act requires the certs.

TheTechGuru
join:2004-03-25
TEXAS

TheTechGuru

said by PrntRhd:

You are not allowed to service the refrigeration unit unless you have EPA certifications, you have to find a tech with current certs to work on it.

I have both HVAC and MVAC certs. This is just my first time messing with a fridge, always worked on home A/C's and automotive A/C's.

Concept's are still the same for the most part, difference I see is home and auto you don't want to see frost on the coils, but as I understand on a fridge frost is inevitable if you ever plan on the freezer getting below freezing which is why they have defrost heaters.

and actually since this fridge uses R134a which is available to anyone that wants it at your local Walmart certification should not even be required as the fridge holds about 5 oz's of refrigerant compared to 30 ish oz's a automotive A/C's uses which does not require certification to work on if it is post 1992 R134a.

Looks like I'll have to order from Amazon if no local stores sell them: »www.amazon.com/gp/produc ··· 02YTQ8G/

Sly
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Tennessee

Sly to PrntRhd

Premium Member

to PrntRhd
said by PrntRhd:

Doesn't apply to R410 or R134a.

»www.epa.gov/ozone/title6 ··· faq.html

Besides, it's not as though it's difficult to get your certification. $25 and an openbook study manual you can sit on your couch with a can of beer in your underwear and become a "licensed tech".

»www.epatest.com/608/openbook/

Beezel
join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV

Beezel

said by Sly:

said by PrntRhd:

Doesn't apply to R410 or R134a.

»www.epa.gov/ozone/title6 ··· faq.html

Besides, it's not as though it's difficult to get your certification. $25 and an openbook study manual you can sit on your couch with a can of beer in your underwear and become a "licensed tech".

»www.epatest.com/608/openbook/

Since when did the 608 become a open book test. when I got my 608 Universal I had to have a proctored exam. That site raises some red flags. My 609 for auto was a open book.
said by PrntRhd:

Sly is right you don't need a certification for R-134a and R-410. Except maybe in the world of California.

TheTechGuru
join:2004-03-25
TEXAS

TheTechGuru

said by Beezel:

Since when did the 608 become a open book test. when I got my 608 Universal I had to have a proctored exam. That site raises some red flags. My 609 for auto was a open book.

Only 608 Type I is open book, II, III and universal are proctored.
PrntRhd
Premium Member
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA

PrntRhd

Premium Member

I was simply stating the average consumer who does not know refrigeration should not attempt to refill the refrigerant. In this case the OP does know what he is doing, so it is OK.