how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

BaboliVache

join:2014-02-03

Hitron CGN3 Port Forwarding

Hi Everyone

I picked up the Rogers Hitron CGN3 From Rogers yesterday and need to know how to enable port forward 3389 on this router. It was working fine with my Cisco router before.

I tried to do this by enabling all port forwarding rules and added a new TCP/UD rule as below:

Public Port 3389~3389
Private Port 3389~3389
Local IP address: 192.168.0.10 (My PC)

Local RDP (inside LAN) to 192.168.0.10 works fine. My test fails when I try to remote desktop to my external IP address (as shown on Hitron or whatismyipaddress.com)

Thanks

SimplePanda
Go Habs Go
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

While I may be wrong the last I heard was that port forwarding is totally broken / non-functional in the CGN3.

Your best bet is to get a proper router and bridge the CGN3.

Of course, bridge mode on the CGN3 is totally broken as well so that's not the best approach either.

wayner92

join:2006-01-17
Toronto, ON

I have been able to do port forwarding on this device - I think that problem was fixed in a firmware upgrade a few months ago. But the problem is that the web UI is extremely unstable and when you are trying to set up port forwarding the whole router may crash on you. I was successfully accessing stuff remotely during my two week period in gateway mode.

kibosh

join:2010-12-16
Whitby, ON
reply to BaboliVache

. . . all of the above and your modem's firmware is probably not up to date. I have had my CGN3 for 5 days now and it hasn't updated to the current firmware yet.

BaboliVache

join:2014-02-03

Is there anyway to push new firmware? I am not sure whether I wait or call Rogers asking them for this new firmware.
Do you have the new firmware version?

kibosh

Whitby, ON

I don't think they can push the firmware . . . I think it is supposed to happen at night automatically. I am surprised mine hasn't updated by now.

I think everyone is on 4.2.4.1 now. I have 4.1.4.4.

dtchmshkyan

join:2013-08-12
Ottawa, ON
reply to BaboliVache

Long story short. The current firmware on CGN3 let's you forward SOME ports, but definitely not all of them. I can forward port 51000 buy I cannot forward port 4897. I tried all the settings possible.

You best bet is to return CGN3 and get back Cisco DPC3825, bridge it and pair it with a good third party router.

Do not attempt to bridge CGN3 as it performs worse in bridged mode speedwise.

dtchmshkyan

Ottawa, ON
reply to kibosh

It is definitely possible to push the firmware update. You call tech support and they will force firmware update on your gateway to the current one.

dtchmshkyan

Ottawa, ON
reply to kibosh

Have you tried to reset the gateway?

wayner92

join:2006-01-17
Toronto, ON
reply to dtchmshkyan

said by dtchmshkyan:

You best bet is to return CGN3 and get back Cisco DPC3825, bridge it and pair it with a good third party router.

Do not attempt to bridge CGN3 as it performs worse in bridged mode speedwise.

But the CGN3 is the only modem supported for Rogers Ultimate 250/20 1TB service. It is not easy to retain this service, even the high data cap, if you switch to one of the other modems.

When I run speedtests in Gateway mode I get test up to 325 Mbps but in Bridge mode I rarely get speeds above 250 Mbps. That is not ideal but practically it is the same as I haven't found any web services that I want to connect to that can sustain speeds greater than 250 Mbps.

The main issue with bridge mode is that the modem dies every couple of days requiring a reboot.

kibosh

Whitby, ON
reply to dtchmshkyan

I have reset it several times actually. I will try giving them a call to ask them to force the update.

kibosh

Whitby, ON

Just got off the phone with tech support and they said they have no way to force an update.

Expand your moderator at work