To infinity... and beyond
Premium
join:2005-06-21
Irvine, CA
Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME

Really?

Sounds to me like someone needs a hug.

While GoGo is high priced, it is the better service (latency wise) (versus Satellite like Row44 and ViaSat).

This is the free-market, people.

Wonder if GoGo/Aricell is cheaper to install versus the Satellite services.

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA

2 edits
In perfect conditions GoGo would be better latency wise. But the conditions are not perfect. Each plane gets about 3-10 Mbps. It doesn't take much to slow down GoGo to a crawl and make the ping rise. Fly-Fi delivers 12 Mbps per passenger. It may have a high ping, but it is actually useable. I am pretty sure most streaming services are actually blocked on GoGo. I have not heard Fly-Fi blocks streaming services.

JGlaz

join:2001-12-05
Clarendon Hills, IL
reply to WiFiguru
No, free market is open competition. The exclusive contracts they've negotiated have locked out competitors, sometimes for years, making open competition impossible.

Competitors can't get a fair break when they know most of the market isn't available and won't be. These exclusive contracts are probably what is being targeted - breaking the monopoly is probably what is needed to bring down pricing and allow other businesses in.

WiFiguru
Premium
Irvine, CA
Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME

1 recommendation

said by JGlaz:

No, free market is open competition. The exclusive contracts they've negotiated have locked out competitors, sometimes for years, making open competition impossible.

Competitors can't get a fair break when they know most of the market isn't available and won't be. These exclusive contracts are probably what is being targeted - breaking the monopoly is probably what is needed to bring down pricing and allow other businesses in.

Still the free market. The airlines can go to whomever they want. In this case, GoGo must've had a better product -- therefore, they dominate.

battleop

join:2005-09-28
reply to WiFiguru
"it is the better service (latency wise)"

The latency is awful. It swings from 50-60ms to 5000ms throughout the flight. It's annoying having to reconnect to my VPN over and over. In the past it was some what better but on my last couple of flights it's frustrating.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

battleop

join:2005-09-28
reply to WiFiguru
"GoGo must've had a better product "

No, just better terms.

desarollo

join:2011-10-01
Monroe, MI
reply to WiFiguru
said by WiFiguru:

Still the free market. The airlines can go to whomever they want.

That is the crux of the plaintiff's argument; Gogo subverted the free market with their long-term agreements with terms that limit competition. There is no determination of which product is better because other companies *can't* get into the market.

viasatguy
Premium
join:2002-06-11
Carlsbad, CA
reply to WiFiguru
Have you actually used GoGo in flight?

Latency is not the be all end all determining factor in communications link usability.

Low speed and poor throughput hampers most user applications much more than latency.

WiFiguru
Premium
Irvine, CA
Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME
said by viasatguy:

Have you actually used GoGo in flight?

Latency is not the be all end all determining factor in communications link usability.

Low speed and poor throughput hampers most user applications much more than latency.

You're obviously biased (Username).

What are you using in air? Netflix?

In-Flight WiFi was only to be used for browsing/email. That's it. It works well.