share rss forum feed

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
kudos:1

Windows 8.1 Update 1 Preview: Hands-on

quote:
To date, my information about Windows 8.1 Update 1 has come from sources at Microsoft and from leaks from Russian and Chinese hackers. But this week, finally, I was able to get my hands on a pre-release build of Update 1. And as you might expect, this build reveals a lot more information than we previously knew about this release.

Here's a quick overview of what's immediately obvious in this build (9600.16596).
»winsupersite.com/windows-8/windo···ld-16596

»www.winbeta.org/news/new-windows···-default

»www.engadget.com/2014/01/30/wind···default/

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
kudos:3

1 recommendation

Hey they finally started to read the preview release comments, and websites criticizing Win 8 almost two years ago. About damn time. The shutdown menu was under settings on the charms bar, talk about illogical, and stupid.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
I don't see anything wrong with providing shutdown menu options in different locations. So Windows 8 had it under charms > settings and Windows 8.1 had it under charms > settings as well as the start button via right click. Adding to the start menu probably won't go amiss since its a logical place to put it (in addition to the other locations 8 / 8.1).

However, many people already try to avoid the Windows 8 / 8.1 start screen so its of no benefit to people of that mindset.

Its a subtle change either way.

I'm OK with it,....

sludgehound

join:2007-03-12
New York, NY
Looking forward to any/all changes. Funny, on 8.1 I never think to rmb on lower left corner for exits. lol Desktop use 95% of time but do switch modes so charms seemed more natural if anything is that in 8/8.1

Michail
Premium
join:2000-08-02
Boynton Beach, FL
reply to Octavean
These look like nice small enhancements. We needed some of these to help with non-touch based systems and desktop style working environments. I see no reason both shouldn't coexist and be setup for differing priorities. As touch hardware evolves and modern UI apps improve people will migrate over (except those with a death grip on XP).