share rss forum feed

Edrick
I aspire to tell the story of a lifetime
Premium
join:2004-09-11
Woburn, MA

2 edits

Replacement for SA520W

It looks like the SA520W isn't actively for sale anymore? If so what would be the latest version of the same family / feature set. We have a SA520 (NonWireless) at a client site and want to add another with wireless or a comparable modern version at an office for Site to Site VPN.

According to the EOL Announcement it's the ISA550W, but I can't even find that for sale in too many locations so would that be the correct one? Anyone have any better recommendations? The site it's going to be at is going to be only a few PCs.

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:19
Far as I know, the ISA line is what's taking over for the SA-series products.

When you say "only a few PCs," can you elaborate further? Any particular reason why you're specifically after the
SA / ISA line?

Regards

Edrick
Premium
Woburn, MA

1 edit
reply to Edrick
The only reason I was looking at the SA series is because that's what we had existing, I'm open to any recommendations that would work with Ciscos Point to Point VPN System with the existing SA Appliance. It would be two desktop computers and some desk phones that will connect back to a UC320 at the other location.

Also apparently the replacement to the SA Series (The ISA) is also end of life? So what on earth is Ciscos replacement? »www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collate ··· 273.html

HELLFIRE
Premium
reply to Edrick
...does this answer your question? I don't know Cisco's logic behind the EOL announcement,
but I guess they want to consolidate products.

quote:
Product Migration Options

There is no direct replacement available for the Cisco ISA550 Integrated Security Appliances at this time. Customers may, however, consider migrating to the Cisco ASA 5512-X Next-Generation Firewalls, the Cisco ASA 5505 Adaptive Security Appliance, or the Cisco MX60 and MX60W Cloud Managed Security Appliances. Information about these products can be found at:

ASA 5512-X
»www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collate ··· 253.html.

ASA 5505
»www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collate ··· 0c5.html.

MX60 and MX60W
»meraki.cisco.com/products/applia ··· ces/mx60.
»meraki.cisco.com/products/applia ··· es/mx60w.
Just as a thought, the MX60W does everything the ASA line does with GigE interfaces, WIFI, 3/4G, and WAN optimization.

Feel free to check it out.

Regards

Edrick
Premium
Woburn, MA
I did decide to go with the MX60

tubbynet
reminds me of the danse russe
Premium,MVM
join:2008-01-16
Chandler, AZ
kudos:1
said by Edrick:

I did decide to go with the MX60

solid product. be careful about enabling a ton of features (i.e. don't turn on the ids/ips at high throughput rates). other than that -- every mx60 i've used has been rock solid.

q.
--
"...if I in my north room dance naked, grotesquely before my mirror waving my shirt round my head and singing softly to myself..."

Edrick
Premium
Woburn, MA
reply to Edrick
What do you guys think about their WiFi I'm attending a web seminar and they'll be sending out MR12s for eligible companies. So I'm looking forward to trying it out.

tubbynet
Premium,MVM
Chandler, AZ
said by Edrick:

What do you guys think about their WiFi I'm attending a web seminar and they'll be sending out MR12s for eligible companies. So I'm looking forward to trying it out.

i'm completely meraki for switching and wireless inside my house.
my mx60 has been relegated to l2tp-o-ipsec vpn gateway duties (my 2821 has a little more "oomph" at the edge, plus it runs my cme gateway).

i've not had any major issues at all with their wireless product. very granular configuration. very robust. i've got an mr34, an mr24, and an mr16. the 34 has dual radios, to run both wips and data, the 24 is just data, and the 16 is simply another wips in my house.

everything is hunky dory and roaming is pretty nice as well.

q.
--
"...if I in my north room dance naked, grotesquely before my mirror waving my shirt round my head and singing softly to myself..."

HELLFIRE
Premium
reply to Edrick
Dumb question for you tubbynet See Profile , how many Meraki products do you have or have deployed?

Regards

tubbynet
Premium,MVM
Chandler, AZ
i haven't "deployed" many in the traditional sense. there isn't much of a different between product lines (although l3 switching is now possible on the higher end 10gbe switches).
i have (2) mx60, (1) ms24, (1) ms220-p, (2) mr34, (1) mr24, and (1) mr16 in my possession currently. my mom has one of my mx60 and mr34's. i've used it to set up a site-to-site vpn tunnel between our locations and i have them all tied into my "organization" so that i can manage them easily.

hit me up on skype if you'd like a rundown of the meraki portal, hf.

q.
--

Edrick
Premium
Woburn, MA
reply to Edrick
Does the MX60 router require a annual license?

tubbynet
Premium,MVM
Chandler, AZ
said by Edrick:

Does the MX60 router require a annual license?

essentially, yes. its the license to be managed in the web portal.

q.
--

Edrick
Premium
Woburn, MA
From what I can tell you can't do anything and in fact it'll stop working if you don't have the cloud license