how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Dodge
Premium
join:2002-11-27

Ariens deluxe 28 snowblower stalling

As some of you on this forum may know I've recently bought this snowblower and it went through two snow storms like a champ. Today was the 3rd time I'm using it and the 1st time it met wet snow. Starts up fine, gets to the end of the driveway, stalls out, smells like gasoline and something sweet (can't identify the smell). Completely refuses to start again. Let it cool off for 10 minutes, starts up, runs for 30 seconds stalls out, refuses to start.

Everything I find online seems to relate to old fuel, gunked up carbs, etc, none of this should be an issue as the thing is brand new. Is there something else I should check before calling Ariens?

mityfowl
Premium
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX
Drain the gas. Check for water in the fuel.

Critsmcgee

join:2011-12-02
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Dodge
Bad gas or water in the line. Hopefully you didn't put mixed gas into the machine either. My Ariens 28 Deluxe powers through 24-30" of wet snow from the state plows at the end of the driveway like a champ.
--
"Trust Me I'm The Doctor!" -Doctor Who

Dodge
Premium
reply to mityfowl
said by mityfowl:

Drain the gas. Check for water in the fuel.

How do I go about doing that?

I don't think the gas is bad as it's the same gas that I had the first 2 times and it ran fine. How would water get in there to begin with? isn't the fuel system sealed except for the venting in the gas cap?

After standing in the garage for a few hours, the blower starts, but sputters like crazy and stalls almost immediately.

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL
kudos:1
reply to Dodge
Stuck choke?

pende_tim
Premium
join:2004-01-04
Andover, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Dodge
Is the gas partially turned off? There should be a gas shutoff valve somewhere between the tank and the carb, typically it is under the gas tank. This valve may not be open enough to allow a proper fuel supply.
--
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

Dodge
Premium
reply to Dodge
Gas valve is open. Messed with the choke in pretty much every position, same results.

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
reply to Dodge
I've got the Ariens 28" deluxe as well...

Gas shut-off is right under the on-off key; but doubt that's your issue.

My first thought is the choke, as well... I'm guessing you're starting with full choke (all the way to thr right) then turning to the left one 'click' at a time?

Try leaving the choke mid way - same behaviour?

Dodge
Premium
Full choke (all the way to the right), starts stalls, half way, doesn't start, fully open, doesn't start.

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
Either bad gas, or the carb and/or choke are out of adjustment, then...

Try some fresh gas, with a generous dose of fuel stabilizer (I like sta-bil, personally) - or call Ariens.

Mine's 3 or 4 years old now, and starts 2nd pull, every time; chews thru snow like the beast it is...

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Dodge
That unit should still be under warranty! I wouldn't fool with anything... get in touch with the dealer and let him figure it out. You start screwing around with it and they might claim a voided warranty. Why bother yourself with something you've already paid for. Warranty work is factored in to the purchase price... one way or another.

By the way... I, too suspect a problem with the fuel... you could have gotten some condensation in the can after it was partially empty, or you might have even gotten some bad fuel from the gas station. It does happen. But my main point is to let your dealer diagnose and fix the problem.
--
Keep your eye on the ball, your shoulder to the wheel, your nose to the grindstone, and your ear to the ground. Now, try to work in that position!!!

EGeezer
zichrona livracha
Premium
join:2002-08-04
Midwest
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Callcentric

1 edit
reply to Dodge
+1 for possible water or ice in the fuel system. You could also have ice or water in the air filter. The carburetor could also have a stuck/leaky float or dirt in the needle. I doubt the seat is bad, it's too new. Check for contaminants in the fuel, like oil.

It could also be a clogged gas cap vent. Make sure it's clear.

I doubt it's a bad plug or weak spark, but that's really easy to check, so I'd do it as part of the checklist.

Have you changed the engine oil recently? Check the oil level. If the breather tube goes to the air intake, overfilling could have caused oil to blow into it.
--
»www.flickr.com/photos/egeezer/

mityfowl
Premium
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX
reply to Dodge
You need fresh fuel, not what's in your can.

If you drain that gas into some clear you will see the separation of fuel and water if I'm correct.

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
Premium,MVM
Cortland, OH
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Pacrat
edit- By the way, you did hit the primer bulb the three times, didn't you. My new Cub snow-blower didn't want to start one day. Would fire, sputter, and quit. I checked the choke setting and everything else I could think of... 'til I look at that big red primer bulb and remembered... "Hey, Dummy! You didn't prime the damn thing!" Pushed the primer three times, and it took right off and ran perfectly. And absolutely no problems at all since then, as long as I prime as directed. It's easy to forget to prime when you have a choke to play with. Many mowers have one or the other, but not both, so it's easy to overlook one or the other operations.
--
Keep your eye on the ball, your shoulder to the wheel, your nose to the grindstone, and your ear to the ground. Now, try to work in that position!!!

Critsmcgee

reply to Dodge
I'd just call Ariens and get them to come fix or replace the unit. Who knows it could be a lemon. I'd still say a fuel issue but why bother with it since it's new.
--

Lurch77
Premium
join:2001-11-22
Oconto, WI
kudos:4
reply to Pacrat
said by Pacrat:

But my main point is to let your dealer diagnose and fix the problem

If I remember he bought it from Home Depot. They do not service their machines. He'll need to find a dealer willing to do potential waranty work for a non-customer.

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
Premium,MVM
Cortland, OH
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
said by Lurch77:

If I remember he bought it from Home Depot. They do not service their machines. He'll need to find a dealer willing to do potential waranty work for a non-customer.

Then the call to Ariens will be necessary. They will have to refer him to an approved service center/dealership.
--

join:2013-12-20
reply to Lurch77
said by Lurch77:

said by Pacrat:

But my main point is to let your dealer diagnose and fix the problem

Any Ariens dealer works. There is no 'willing' they WILL do it.

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Lurch77
said by Lurch77:

Not exactly true. I bought mine through HD as well, but it was my local dealer who delivered and set it up. They also gave me their contact info for any warranty work. They got paid for the transaction, so I consider myself (and they consider me) a customer.

All good - the only issue with calling the local dealer is that they're libel to be backed up with repair work. I know all of the local shops here run at least several weeks' backlog in the dead of winter.

Dodge
Premium
I bought it from HD and it was delivered by HD, no ariens dealer was involved in the process (which could cause issues here).

Tried calling ariens, 20 minutes on hold, gave up and sent them an email. Let's see what comes from that. Do they usually send someone to look at the machine, or am I going to have to drag it to a service location? I really don't have the time or the means (aside from renting a uhaul van or something) of getting it to the dealer.

pende_tim
Premium
join:2004-01-04
Andover, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast
Depending on how urgent the repair will be with the next big storm due to hit the North East tonight/Wed, any how handy you feel you may want to try this trick.

If it is dirt in the carb under one of the needle valves, I have made temporary fixes by doing the following:

Locate the adjustment screws on the needle valves. Usually there are 2. One on the bottom of the bowl and one on the top where the air passes through.

Unscrew each screw about 2 turns but keep track of exactly how much as you will want to put adjust them back where they were.
With unscrewed 2 turns, try to start. This should pull through any small pieces of "stuff" under the seats.

Reset screws back to original setting and try to start.

--
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

wth
Premium
join:2002-02-20
Iowa City,IA
reply to Dodge
If the gas cap is not letting air into the tank, it will starve for fuel. Try running it with the cap loose.

Dodge
Premium
Tried, doesn't help.

Booost

@151.190.40.x
reply to Dodge
The dealer / repair shop will certainly have a truck they could use to pick up and drop off your snow blower. Whether or not that service is included for warranty repairs is another matter. Have you read your warranty?

And then the shop might very well service their own customers ahead of you. But I'm sure there's no waiting for snow blower repairs in the middle of winter!

Dodge
Premium
reply to Dodge
Ariens support sucks! No answer to the email, left a voicemail for a callback, nothing. Spent an hour on hold, noone picks up.

Lurch77
Premium
join:2001-11-22
Oconto, WI
kudos:4
reply to 25696122
said by 25696122:

Sure. But unless they are desperate for work, he'll be on the back burner. Dealers do not have to do the work, and they will prioritize their own customers first. That's a realistic world.

Critsmcgee

Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by Lurch77:

said by 25696122:

Sure. But unless they are desperate for work, he'll be on the back burner. Dealers do not have to do the work, and they will prioritize their own customers first. That's a realistic world.

Even then dealers do what makes them the most $$$ first even if you've spend thousands with them.
--

koira
Keep Fighting Michael
Premium
join:2004-02-16
reply to Dodge
did you drain the old gas from the tank ?
then add some gas line antifreeze (Isopropanol or Methanol Alcohol ?)
Then add fresh from the gas pump gas ?

iknow_t

join:2012-05-03
reply to Dodge
I think it's one of 2 things. either the carburetor is flooding when hot, or the spark dies when hot. you can check for either of these by removing the spark plug immediately after it stalls.

Dodge
Premium
reply to Dodge
I think the people who were saying bad gas were right. I siphoned the gas out of the tank into a gas can, mixed Stabil into the can, and filled up the snow blower with the same gas. Started right up, sputtered a little at first and then went to normal running (guess shitty gas was still in the carb / engine). It was too late at night to let it idle and wake up the whole neighborhood, but since it started and ran, I'm optimistic. If it snows tomorrow, I'll test it out, if not I'll wait until Saturday and will let it run for about 10 minutes to see what happens.

None of this takes away from the fact that I'm very disappointed with Ariens support.

On a side note, does anyone know where I can find an extension cord that will fit into the electric start? The rounded lip on all extensions cords doesn't fit, and whoever designed the socket is a moron. Is there a special one, or just buy whatever and file it down to fit?