Old and Cranky
MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH

Pacrat to Dodge

MVM

to Dodge

Re: Ariens deluxe 28 snowblower stalling

Sta-Bil should really be added to fresh from the pump gasoline to be most effective. It's not so much a cure, as it is a preventative. I'd add it to a full can of fresh 89 octane gasoline according to the directions on the bottle. I'm glad it turned out to be something simple. It's really not unusual to get "bad" gas from low-volume filling stations. For the few cents more, upgrading the octane rating of the fuel for smaller engines seems to work very well for me. I've been doing it for years.

mityfowl
Premium Member
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX

mityfowl to Dodge

Premium Member

to Dodge
I can honestly say I would NEVER reuse bad gas.

koira
Hey Siri Walk Me
Premium Member
join:2004-02-16

1 edit

koira to Dodge

Premium Member

to Dodge
You may have had ice in the system but seems odd considering most lower grade gas contains alcohol. Stabil will deice and prevent varnish .

As for the cord its nothing special other than a molded receptacle and you should find one at your local hardware store.

You should get fresh gas, use premium your engine will like it. Mine backfires flames when I idle it down after clearing make sure no water is in your gas container.
Dodge
Premium Member
join:2002-11-27

Dodge to Pacrat

Premium Member

to Pacrat
I'm planning to drain it replace it. However it was 10pm and I was curious if it will work.

Lurch77
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
Green Bay, WI

2 edits

Lurch77 to Dodge

Premium Member

to Dodge
If at all possible get gas with no ethanol. I suspect this was your problem. And remember that the water separation can occur in your machines fuel tank and carb bowl. Treated bad gas after the fact will not restore it. You need to treat it before it goes bad or separates.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· CFlQbUXI

Edit: the video doesn't seem to be embedding on my mobile browser. Sorry if it isn't for you. It's a video with Husky talking about how to handle ethanol in you outdoor power equipment.
Critsmcgee
join:2011-12-02

Critsmcgee to Dodge

to Dodge
said by Dodge:

On a side note, does anyone know where I can find an extension cord that will fit into the electric start? The rounded lip on all extensions cords doesn't fit, and whoever designed the socket is a moron. Is there a special one, or just buy whatever and file it down to fit?

Buy one of these to leave on the electric start plug.
»www.homedepot.com/p/Levi ··· 00356839
or
»www.homedepot.com/p/RIDG ··· 02070815
Dodge
Premium Member

Dodge to Lurch77

Premium Member

to Lurch77
I don't think there is fuel in tri-state area that's not 10% ethanol.
Dodge

Dodge to Critsmcgee

Premium Member

to Critsmcgee
said by Critsmcgee:

said by Dodge:

On a side note, does anyone know where I can find an extension cord that will fit into the electric start? The rounded lip on all extensions cords doesn't fit, and whoever designed the socket is a moron. Is there a special one, or just buy whatever and file it down to fit?

Buy one of these to leave on the electric start plug.
»www.homedepot.com/p/Levi ··· 00356839
or
»www.homedepot.com/p/RIDG ··· 02070815

Didn't even think about adapters, thanks.
Critsmcgee

Critsmcgee to Dodge

to Dodge
said by Dodge:

Yea impossible to get in a 500 mile radius here as well.

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

swintec

Premium Member

said by Critsmcgee:

said by Dodge:

Any small municipal airports around you?

pende_tim
Premium Member
join:2004-01-04
Selbyville, DE

pende_tim

Premium Member

100LL ? That will put the snow in the next county.
Critsmcgee

Critsmcgee to swintec

to swintec
said by swintec:

said by Critsmcgee:

said by Dodge:

Any small municipal airports around you?

None that sell ethanol free gas to the public.
iknow_t
join:2012-05-03

1 edit

iknow_t to Dodge

to Dodge
if it is bad gas that only manifests itself when the engine is hot, that's a totally new one.. bad gas usually makes it very difficult to start the engine. and is usually less of a problem when the engine is hot.. this would have to be "special" bad gas. if gas has been sitting in the tank so long that it turned to lacquer, putting fresh gas in the tank won't fix it. the tank, gas lines, and carburetor will have to be cleaned of it, because pieces of it can break off, and clog the fuel lines and carb. when stored, the machine should be drained of gas, then run until the carb is empty, this will prevent this problem.

swintec
Premium Member
Alfred, ME

swintec to Critsmcgee

Premium Member

to Critsmcgee
said by Critsmcgee:

Oh interesting. I thought they all did unless rules have changed in the last few years.

WickedWinter
join:2003-08-02
USA

WickedWinter to Dodge

to Dodge
Click on your state for locations.

»pure-gas.org/
iknow_t

iknow_t to swintec

to swintec
said by swintec:

said by Critsmcgee:

Oh interesting. I thought they all did unless rules have changed in the last few years.

they're not going to put it in your car, but if you say you need it for your ultra light aircraft, that's a different story.

swintec
Premium Member
Alfred, ME

swintec

Premium Member

said by iknow_t:

said by swintec:

said by Critsmcgee:

they're not going to put it in your car, but if you say you need it for your ultra light aircraft, that's a different story.

I use to get it for an old honda odessy ATV about 8 or 9 years ago. Just go in with your own container and you are good to go.
Critsmcgee

Critsmcgee to WickedWinter

to WickedWinter
said by WickedWinter:

»pure-gas.org/

yea I used that. No airports on it sell it. It's state mandated to be 10% in gas period.

swintec
Premium Member
Alfred, ME

swintec

Premium Member

said by Critsmcgee:

said by WickedWinter:

»pure-gas.org/

yea I used that. No airports on it sell it. It's state mandated to be 10% in gas period.

Thanks for that site. Its been a long time since I bought it but it is nice to see my local airport still sells it and hell, its self service and you can use credit card. just need to have someone let you through the gate. 91 octane.

Would this have any negative effects on a car?

slyphoxj
join:2002-06-23
united state

slyphoxj to Dodge

to Dodge
Sorry if this (sorta?) hijacks the thread but...

I got an Ariens Compact 24 last winter (December 2012) from Home Depot online (I got it online to get 10% Lowe's mover's coupon discount plus cash back on my Citibank card by going through the Citi Bonus Cash Center). A local Ariens dealer delivered it to me and they're the ones I go to for warranty work (if I remember right).

I'm having two issues with it: 1) One of the reverse gears doesn't work (not a biggie, that can wait until spring), 2) the impeller and auger stop spinning and throwing the snow after a few seconds unless I pause for a little while and allow the auger and impeller to clear out the snow they've taken in.

#2 started happening last weekend when I tried to clear some heavy, wet snow from my sidewalk. As I kept going forward, my snow blower kept throwing the snow less and less far until it stopped throwing it at all and the impeller and auger stopped spinning altogether. I was able to get them spinning again by clearing out the heavy, wet snow from the chute and auger area, but they stopped again when I tried to clear more of this snow.

This morning, I cleared out that snow (well, actually ice now) from the auger and chute area, then tried to clear the 3-5" or so of new snow from my driveway. It would throw far at first, then less and less far, then stop throwing altogether until I paused for bit.

It will throw OK if I walk very, very slowly with it (I have to walk without the drive engaged).

Could this be a bad/slipping drive belt? I'm dreading having to contact that Ariens dealer and having to wait weeks, then having them tell me that it's not a warranty issue and that I gotta cough up $$$.

Last winter, I managed to suck up a thick, rubber doormat. I had to remove the shear pins to loosen the auger and use industrial shears to chop it out... not fun. Maybe I damaged something?
iknow_t

iknow_t to Critsmcgee

to Critsmcgee
said by Critsmcgee:

said by WickedWinter:

»pure-gas.org/

NOT for aircraft!. you can't use ethanol gas in aircraft. too much of a risk of stalling. that is where you'd get the gas from.
Dodge
Premium Member

Dodge to WickedWinter

Premium Member

to WickedWinter
said by WickedWinter:

»pure-gas.org/

Figures that NJ wouldn;t even be on the list. We can't even pump our own gas around here, so yeah....
Critsmcgee

Critsmcgee to iknow_t

to iknow_t
said by iknow_t:

said by Critsmcgee:

said by WickedWinter:

»pure-gas.org/

NOT for aircraft!. you can't use ethanol gas in aircraft. too much of a risk of stalling. that is where you'd get the gas from.

They don't have pumps for anyone but aircraft period. If you don't pull up in an FAA controlled ride your shit out of luck. Not sure how that's unclear. You CANNOT buy ethanol free there. It doesn't benefit me to make this stuff up. I'd love ethanol free for my lawn equipment but it's not available. Even that website says it's not available.

That said I don't like Sta-bil in my gas. I use Seafoam instead. I also add some Marvel Mystery Oil and buy only premium gas for my lawn equipment. No issues leaving the gas in the machines for a year at a time either. I try to run the machine dry at the end of the season but if I don't they are fine.

pende_tim
Premium Member
join:2004-01-04
Selbyville, DE

pende_tim to Dodge

Premium Member

to Dodge
There are three things you can do for the 10% problem.

1. Stabil (and others) makes a marine additive that is reported to counteract bad characteristics the ethanol during the winter season.

2. Keep the fuel tank full between uses so there is no chance for condensation inside the tank.

3. At the end of the season, drain the gas tank and run the machine until it uses up all the fuel.

Tim

Lurch77
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
Green Bay, WI

Lurch77 to Dodge

Premium Member

to Dodge
said by Dodge:

Watch the video for some tips, they show what to do in a situation like yours. Some extra care needs to be taken.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA to Dodge

Premium Member

to Dodge
We have stations with pumps for non-ethanol gas here. We can just pull up and put it in if you can afford it. Right now it's twice the price of ethanol.

UHF
All static, all day, Forever
MVM
join:2002-05-24

UHF to Dodge

MVM

to Dodge
»www.vp-sef.com/

It's expensive, but I use it in things like weed trimmers. I only use about a quart of fuel a year for the trimmer, so paying $5 for a quart of 50:1 once a year won't break the bank.

In my Ariens I just burn the 87 octane fuel from the pump with some Seafoam added. It's been trouble free for more than 10 years. Best piece of outdoor equipment I've ever owned.
joewho
Premium Member
join:2004-08-20
Dundee, IL

joewho to Dodge

Premium Member

to Dodge
Sea Foam.
Dodge
Premium Member

Dodge

Premium Member

So wanted to post an update just in case anyone was following. Last time we got snow, I drained the snow blower and got rid of the gas that I had left over in the can. Went to a gas station and got 93 octane, and added Stabil to it for good measure. Primed, started on a first pull and runs like a champ (especially enjoyed the fact that it propells ice, slush and wet snow like it weighs nothing). Back to being a happy camper and not hating Ariens (although I still maintain that their customer service is horrible).
25696122 (banned)
join:2013-12-20

25696122 (banned) to Dodge

to Dodge
Great news. The better news is customer service doesn't matter when you don't need it. Most people I know have had Ariens for 8-15 years with zero issues.