join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit
reply to Dodge

Re: Ariens deluxe 28 snowblower stalling

Thanks for getting back to us. Can we then assume that your gasoline was the main problem? 93 octane may have been a bit of overkill, but I run 91 octane fuel in all my small gasoline engines: mower, trimmer, leaf blower, Cub Cadet, chain saw, and snow blower. (all... on the advice of my dealer, I might add). One thing I might add. I have switched from a 5-gallon storage can to a 2½-gallon can to force me to get fresh gas more often.

edited - I misspoke... I do, in fact use 89 octane, not 91. It's the middle grade around here. We have 87, 89, and 91! Sorry about that. Supposedly... it burns at a lower temperature, allowing the engine to run a little cooler. Not sure if that's the case or not. I just know I've been using 89 octane for a long time in my small engines without any issues. And since I only get a couple of gallons at a time, the price differential is fairly moot.
--
Keep your eye on the ball, your shoulder to the wheel, your nose to the grindstone, and your ear to the ground. Now, try to work in that position!!!

Dodge
Premium
join:2002-11-27

It seems gas was the only problem. As far as octane rating, we only have 87, 89 and 93 octane around here, no 91. I think Sunoco is pushing a gimmiky 94 also.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
kudos:1
reply to Pacrat

You do realize that octane rating is the rating given to gasoline that is formulated to keep high compression engines from pre-ignition. There is no other benefit as all grades have the same power by gallon.

Msradell
P.E.
Premium
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

1 recommendation

reply to slyphoxj

said by slyphoxj:

#2 started happening last weekend when I tried to clear some heavy, wet snow from my sidewalk. As I kept going forward, my snow blower kept throwing the snow less and less far until it stopped throwing it at all and the impeller and auger stopped spinning altogether. I was able to get them spinning again by clearing out the heavy, wet snow from the chute and auger area, but they stopped again when I tried to clear more of this snow.

This morning, I cleared out that snow (well, actually ice now) from the auger and chute area, then tried to clear the 3-5" or so of new snow from my driveway. It would throw far at first, then less and less far, then stop throwing altogether until I paused for bit.

It will throw OK if I walk very, very slowly with it (I have to walk without the drive engaged).

Could this be a bad/slipping drive belt? I'm dreading having to contact that Ariens dealer and having to wait weeks, then having them tell me that it's not a warranty issue and that I gotta cough up $$$.

It's one of 2 things, either the belt is slipping like you suggested or you've broken the sheer pin and it works with light load because of friction between the 2 pieces. From your description it seems more likely that the problem is the sheer pin. Look at your instruction manual and you can check that quite easily. You can also take off the belt cover and watch the belt when it starts causing problems, normally if the belt is slipping you will smell/see smoke after a few minutes of slippage.

Lurch77
Premium
join:2001-11-22
Oconto, WI
kudos:4
reply to Jack_in_VA

said by Jack_in_VA:

There is no other benefit as all grades have the same power by gallon.

Except around here where only the premium grade can be had with no ethanol. So despite not needing the octane level or liking the extra cost, it's what all my small engines get.

joewho
Premium
join:2004-08-20
Dundee, IL
reply to Dodge

Years ago I could get good gas at a small airport around here. Needed it for high compression car. What are people doing these days to get gas for their race cars?

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to Lurch77

said by Lurch77:

said by Jack_in_VA:

There is no other benefit as all grades have the same power by gallon.

Except around here where only the premium grade can be had with no ethanol. So despite not needing the octane level or liking the extra cost, it's what all my small engines get.

Non-Ethanol is a completely different item. We can get it here but I don't know what the octane rating on it is. That's a non-issue for those of us who want the Ethanol free fuel. It's almost $6/gal the last I bought for my generator. I dump it in my S-10 truck after about 6 months and buy more.

I see people with Mustangs and Camaro's as well as all types of boats filling up at the pump.

randavis
74 Challenger 440 4bbl

join:2000-01-19
Blue Springs, MO
reply to joewho

They buy racing gas at about $9.00 per gallon. At least that is what my brother runs in his mud truck.
--
IUOE Local 101

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-23
there
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Cogeco Cable
reply to Jack_in_VA

said by Jack_in_VA:

Non-Ethanol is a completely different item.

said by shell :

Shell V-Power premium gasoline in Canada does not contain ethanol.

»www.shell.ca/en/products-service···wer.html
--

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom

said by Cho Baka:

said by Jack_in_VA:

Non-Ethanol is a completely different item.

said by shell :

Shell V-Power premium gasoline in Canada does not contain ethanol.

»www.shell.ca/en/products-service···wer.html

All Shell V-Power Gas in Virginia has 10 percent Ethanol. That's the brand at my quickstop I use.

DarkHelmet

join:2014-02-21
reply to Dodge

said by Dodge:

So wanted to post an update just in case anyone was following. Last time we got snow, I drained the snow blower and got rid of the gas that I had left over in the can. Went to a gas station and got 93 octane, and added Stabil to it for good measure. Primed, started on a first pull and runs like a champ (especially enjoyed the fact that it propells ice, slush and wet snow like it weighs nothing). Back to being a happy camper and not hating Ariens (although I still maintain that their customer service is horrible).

Glad you got it figured out. Ariens makes nice machines!

nonamesleft

join:2011-11-07
Manitowoc, WI
reply to Dodge

I would recommend changing the spark plug. That was always the problem with my john deere snow blower.

HarryH3
Premium
join:2005-02-21
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

said by nonamesleft:

I would recommend changing the spark plug. That was always the problem with my john deere snow blower.

Someone posted without reading the rest of the thread.

nonamesleft

Manitowoc, WI
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Callcentric

said by HarryH3:

said by nonamesleft:

Pretty much. I still recommend what I said though. Mine stalled out while doing the same thing. Why would it be the gas when it was running fine on it before it stalled?

DarkHelmet

said by nonamesleft:

said by HarryH3:

said by nonamesleft:

Pretty much. I still recommend what I said though. Mine stalled out while doing the same thing. Why would it be the gas when it was running fine on it before it stalled?

The machine is brand new so that means the spark plug is brand new. How would changing that help?

HarryH3
Premium
join:2005-02-21
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to nonamesleft

said by nonamesleft:

said by HarryH3:

said by nonamesleft:

Because, if you read the thread, you'll find out that when he drained the old gas and filled the tank with fresh gas it fired right up and has been running fine.

nonamesleft

Manitowoc, WI
reply to DarkHelmet

I got mine in 2009, in 2010 I was making sure it was going to start and run, and it wouldn't. I had to change my spark plug, on my "brand new" snowblower. So just because it's "new", doesn't mean it won't go bad, or that you shouldn't change it.

DarkHelmet

said by nonamesleft:

I got mine in 2009, in 2010 I was making sure it was going to start and run, and it wouldn't. I had to change my spark plug, on my "brand new" snowblower. So just because it's "new", doesn't mean it won't go bad, or that you shouldn't change it.

A year old isn't "brand new" by any means.

mityfowl
Premium
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX
reply to Dodge

said by nonamesleft:

Dude it's in the nature of the way it stalls. Not doesn't start.