Premium Member
join:2005-08-09
Saint Paul, MN
·Verizon Wireless

fonzbear2000

Premium Member

[iPhone] A ton of iPhone 6 rumors.

They can all be found here: »www.techradar.com/us/new ··· -1099865

Even though it's still a ways away, hopefully we'll get a lot of discussion going on this. I do like the fact that it will be bigger, but that was to be expected.

obeythelaw
Premium Member
join:2003-04-16
Warren, NJ

1 recommendation

obeythelaw

Premium Member

Only thing I would be interested in is for better battery life, thinner in width, better stereo speakers. I think the size is fine since I can use it with one hand when texting and emailing.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR

darcilicious to fonzbear2000

Premium Member

to fonzbear2000
Bigger is not better for me! Will be uprading my 5 with a 5s as soon as anything bigger is officially announced

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean to fonzbear2000

MVM

to fonzbear2000
And there you have it. Testament that not everyone wants a bigger iPhone. Thats not to say that some people don't want a bigger iPhone since clearly many do but certainly not all.

This then create a problem unto itself. If Apple makes a larger iPhone then it will likely continue to make a standard sized iPhone as well (not just the older models that have yet to be discontinued). So the question then becomes which is the premium device? People who don't want a larger iPhone wouldn't want to be relegated to a lower quality device simply based on physical size.

Therefore Apple would then likely need to have a premium and standard device for both the larger iPhone and the smaller iPhone. Resulting in four devices. That technically could double their efforts in this space. So the easiest route would simply be to replicate the current generation of iPhone with a larger screen and battery with no other changes. So something like an iPhone 5ls (iPhone Large S) and iPhone 5lc (iPhone Large C). Then continue from there.

Pricing becomes a bit of an issue too. Charging more for something can also be an indication that said device is at a premium.

haroldo
join:2004-01-16
USA

haroldo to fonzbear2000

to fonzbear2000
Should I get the 6 or wait for the 6S?

bjf123
We Want... A Shrubbery
Premium Member
join:2000-02-11
Hamilton, OH

bjf123 to darcilicious

Premium Member

to darcilicious
said by darcilicious:

Bigger is not better for me! Will be uprading my 5 with a 5s as soon as anything bigger is officially announced

What he said.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious to haroldo

Premium Member

to haroldo
said by haroldo:

You should always wait; unless you decide not to

obeythelaw
Premium Member
join:2003-04-16
Warren, NJ

obeythelaw to fonzbear2000

Premium Member

to fonzbear2000
The interesting thing is that even I would purchase a 6 after I get tired of my 5S even if it does have a bigger screen. I don't think the bigger screen will deter us individuals who prefer the current size. In the end, I don't think Apple makes a mistake here. As a matter of fact, I think they have probably lost customers by virtue of the fact that they have not had a bigger screen. That's just it, people that want a larger screen won't opt for a smaller screen. But if Apple only makes one sized screen, people who want the larger screen and those that didn't but want to keep using an iPhone will still opt to buy.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

1 recommendation

darcilicious

Premium Member

said by obeythelaw:

I don't think the bigger screen will deter us individuals who prefer the current size.

It is most definitely a deterrent for me. I have small-ish hands and found adjusting to the current size a challenge. I will NOT go with a bigger screen.

I will be going with a 5s and keeping it for a loooooong time without upgrading if an iPhone with a larger screen is my only choice.

AppleGuy
Premium Member
join:2013-09-08
Kitchener, ON

AppleGuy to fonzbear2000

Premium Member

to fonzbear2000
Yeah, i have an iPhone 4 and was unimpressed after a year, and after 2 years bought the Nexus 4. If Apple has a decent screen, might go back..but I do like Kit Kat.

pcdebb
birdbrain
Premium Member
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL
ARRIS DG1670

pcdebb to fonzbear2000

Premium Member

to fonzbear2000
the screen sizes are getting stupid. I saw a Samsung Galaxy Mega Thinner would be nice, but getting much bigger and it will become a turnoff for me. If it truly does NFC, i'm all the way in.

koolman2
Premium Member
join:2002-10-01
Anchorage, AK

koolman2 to darcilicious

Premium Member

to darcilicious
said by darcilicious:

said by obeythelaw:

I don't think the bigger screen will deter us individuals who prefer the current size.

It is most definitely a deterrent for me. I have small-ish hands and found adjusting to the current size a challenge. I will NOT go with a bigger screen.

Add another to the list. I used a Galaxy S3 for a short time. Hated it because the screen was gigantic and impossible to use.
NefCanuck
join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON

NefCanuck to fonzbear2000

to fonzbear2000
As someone with a physical disability that can only use a smartphone one handed to start with, I can only suggest that Apple tread very carefully before jumping into the "phablet" market.

Unless the size increase is not overly large (therefore making the whole thing a waste of time) or they produce two separate lines for the different sizes of phones, they do risk losing people.

NefCanuck
drslash (banned)
Goya Asma
join:2002-02-18
Marion, IA

drslash (banned) to fonzbear2000

to fonzbear2000
15 years ago it was a status symbol to have the smallest phone and the biggest truck/car...today it is a status symbol to have the biggest phone and the smallest car.

haroldo
join:2004-01-16
USA

haroldo

said by drslash:

......today it is a status symbol to have ... the smallest car.

Maybe in Iowa, but not on the coasts!

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR

darcilicious

Premium Member

I think the smallest car or biggest SUV would be true for the PNW
rugby
I think I know it all.
join:2000-09-26
Plainfield, IN

rugby to fonzbear2000

to fonzbear2000
I have a Note 3 and love the size. I would buy a larger iPhone as I can't stand my wife's 5s due to the size of it.

banditws6
Shrinking Time and Distance
Premium Member
join:2001-08-18
Frisco, TX

banditws6 to fonzbear2000

Premium Member

to fonzbear2000
After some experimentation, I've come to decide that I would really appreciate the benefits of a "phablet"-type phone. In fact I've made this my #1 hope for the next iPhone and may even consider the Android platform for the first time ever if it does not materialize.

Which sucks, because I hate the Android UX so very much. Would prefer Windows Phone, if not for the lack of app support.

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean to NefCanuck

MVM

to NefCanuck
said by NefCanuck:

As someone with a physical disability that can only use a smartphone one handed to start with, I can only suggest that Apple tread very carefully before jumping into the "phablet" market.

Unless the size increase is not overly large (therefore making the whole thing a waste of time) or they produce two separate lines for the different sizes of phones, they do risk losing people.

NefCanuck

An Apple Phablet as the only option seems highly unlikely.

Its more likely IMO for Apple to to provide the choice of the current form factor of the 5, 5s and 5c in addition to a larger phablet option.

Alienation wouldn't come from a lack of choice but as I suggested before people buying Apple devices often like to buy the high end option like the 5s over the 5c. In order to do so they want or need a definitive indication of what is the high end option. Therefore it may be unwise for Apple to make a distinction between a standard sized iPhone and a phablet sized iPhone (other then size) making it necessary to keep the feature set and price basically the same. Then a lower end option for both form factors would be necessary thus increasing the product count and necessary work on the product line,....

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski to darcilicious

Premium Member

to darcilicious
said by darcilicious:

said by obeythelaw:

I will be going with a 5s and keeping it for a loooooong time without upgrading if an iPhone with a larger screen is my only choice.

I have the 4s, my wife has the 5, and I also have the Galaxy S4. to me the S4 is a perfect size, bigger than the smaller 4s but not phablet sized. The 5 to me was not really a bigger screen, just longer. Switching between the Galaxy S4 and then the 4s just makes the smaller screen just that much more annoying.

Irish Shark
Play Like A Champion Today
MVM
join:2000-07-29
Las Vegas, NV

Irish Shark to fonzbear2000

MVM

to fonzbear2000
I just cannot use the keyboard on the phone; just too small. Unless it is a touch only type app, I just avoid it.

A little bigger screen with a bigger keyboard would be nice.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious to fonzbear2000

Premium Member

to fonzbear2000
Rumors appear to be gaining in strength/validity for the 4.7" screen iPhone at least

»www.redmondpie.com/leake ··· display/

Jehu
Premium Member
join:2002-09-13
MA

Jehu to banditws6

Premium Member

to banditws6
said by banditws6:

Would prefer Windows Phone, if not for the lack of app support.

Curious what apps you use that are not on WP8?

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person
join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA

not quite right

said by Jehu:

said by banditws6:

Would prefer Windows Phone, if not for the lack of app support.

Curious what apps you use that are not on WP8?

My Banking, my home security system, my home surveillance system, just to name a few ...

Domane
Premium Member
join:2013-04-18

Domane to fonzbear2000

Premium Member

to fonzbear2000
Actually of all the iPhone models past and present the iPhone 6 is the one I'm most curious about regarding what the final product is going to be. I have an iPhone 5. No matter what the iPhone 6 turns out to be I doubt that I will get it. I'm technologically way behind the smartphone curve and usage in terms of features. The features I do use I sure appreciate.

ilikeme
Premium Member
join:2002-08-27
Stafford, TX

ilikeme to haroldo

Premium Member

to haroldo
said by haroldo:

Nah, wait for the 7! I heard its going to be even better!

Brendan
Warr Guitar
join:2000-07-14
Portland, OR

Brendan to fonzbear2000

to fonzbear2000
Phablets are ridiculous... It screams, "$30k millionaire". My little 4 is still chugging along just fine. I love it; perfect size, for me.

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX

Nezmo

MVM

said by Brendan:

Phablets are ridiculous... It screams, "$30k millionaire". My little 4 is still chugging along just fine. I love it; perfect size, for me.

Nah, just old and my eyes are going, lol.

The Dv8or
Just call me Dong Suck Oh, M.D.
Premium Member
join:2001-08-09
Denver, CO

The Dv8or to fonzbear2000

Premium Member

to fonzbear2000
If it doesnt have Flash, fuck it.

gjrhine
join:2001-12-12
Pawleys Island, SC