uniqs
amungus
Premium Member
join:2004-11-26
America

amungus

Premium Member

Pay for OTA

Not sure I totally understand paying for OTA unless you're unable to receive it. You still need an internet connection, which, if you subscribe to cable, you're likely to get locals in clear QAM as well, and/or a 'basic' package that usually discounts the price of the internet service (making it nearly a wash - certainly a less than or equal to $8/mo. wash).

I guess more and more areas are locking that down though, so perhaps if you can't get a good signal, the cable company locked everything down, and it's this vs. a cable/sat. package, then maybe it'd be worth considering.
ptb42
join:2002-09-30
USA

1 edit

ptb42

said by amungus:

Not sure I totally understand paying for OTA unless you're unable to receive it.

Aereo provides "DVR in the cloud", so you can record shows for later viewing. Most cable companies charge more than Aereo's monthly fee just for a DVR rental.

Aereo also allows you to use portable devices as viewers: laptops, iOS/Android tables and phones, and Roku. They are apparently working on applications for Smart TVs and game consoles.

Of course, portable devices don't have to be connected to your home network.
Aereo's site says that on the lowest video quality, a typical 30-minute program uses 100MB of data. That's about 55 KB/sec, which can be streamed over 3G cell networks. If you have a generous data allowance, you can view them anywhere.

Their site also says that it checks the IP address to confirm your location, and/or will use location services on your portable device. So, maybe you have to be in your broadcast area to use a portable device. Can an actual Aereo user confirm how this works?