how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jpaik

join:2002-01-09
Hamilton, ON

Canadian-based hosted email service

Hi all. Not sure if this post belongs in this forum, but it seems to be the best fit for the topic. On behalf of a very small business that I consult to, I'm looking for an email hosting service, preferably in Canada. Their email is currently hosted onsite, but the owner wishes to move it off-premises. Their ISP does not do email (don't ask). There will be approximately 10 individual email accounts.

There are many US companies that focus on email hosting, but I haven't seen a comparable service here. Any recommendations? Thanks!
--
minimum waste, maximum joy

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

Namespro, a domain registrar, can do email. I personally would suggest they go with Google apps though. I know that a large Canadian retail pharmacy company moved from Exchange to Google in the past year.

TSI Andre
Got TekSavvy?
Premium,VIP
join:2008-06-03
Chatham, ON
kudos:24
reply to jpaik

TekSavvy!

»www.teksavvy.com/en/business/ser···/hosting

Calmuser

join:2011-10-27
Canada
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to jpaik

I use Namespro.ca for email hosting.

Works good.

Tech support is amazing, get a reply within minutes sometimes, and other times within an hour or so..

I would not recommend TekSavvy for Email. Their email server goes down WAY to often.

It has improved, but still not too reliable.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to TSI Andre

Click for full size
Sure I'll host with Teksavvy

TSI Andre
Got TekSavvy?
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON

Where did you click for that to happen?

jpaik

Hamilton, ON
reply to jpaik

Thanks guys. Please keep the suggestions coming!

I should add that the company does not need www hosting. That's already taken being handled (on a USA-based server). The www host naturally offers email hosting but I'm looking for a Canadian solution.

I use webnames, my domain registrar, for my own domain's email so I have considered them. I will explore Google further than I have done so far.

Again, thanks.
--

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
reply to TSI Andre

said by TSI Andre:

Your link

TSI Andre
Got TekSavvy?
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON

Weird because it works fine on my side. Even tested it outside the network and it works.

Calmuser

join:2011-10-27
Canada

Link works here.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
reply to TSI Andre

I'm sure it does now, but for that brief moment in time..I clicked on the link,, then proceed and got the 500 error.

b_p_smith

join:2002-02-13
Merrickville, ON
reply to jpaik

If they want more than just e-mail, they may want to look at Office365 (»office.microsoft.com/en-ca/busin···625.aspx). As low as US$13.25/month, but that gets all their users the full Office suite. They may or may not find that attractive.

Brad.
--
Xplornet WiMAX -} Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH running DD-WRT -} about 13 machines running everything you can think of.

jpaik

Hamilton, ON

Thanks Brad. Now taking a hard look at Google Apps. It certainly fits the bill. Email migration looks a bit daunting (not migrating from Exchange).
--

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4

1 recommendation

Try »www.csec-cst.gc.ca - they're happy to host your mail for free, and they're Canadian-based. They offer unlimited mail retention.

AsherN
Premium
join:2010-08-23
Thornhill, ON
reply to jpaik

Office 365 offers mail only for $4/month.

If you want POP/IMAP, we've used easyhosting.com. Not sure of the actual costs, but pretty cheap. Toronto based.

bbbc

join:2001-10-02
NorthAmerica
Reviews:
·FreedomPop

1 edit
reply to jpaik

FastMail and Runbox are the top companies for independent providers specializing in just mail. FastMail just introduced calendars and it has a nice webmail interface.

Google Apps will force shit down your throat, like user interface changes, whether your paying customers want the new features or not. I use the word features loosely.

rogersmogers

@start.ca
reply to elwoodblues

said by elwoodblues:

said by TSI Andre:

Your link

It could be your computer. We know how you dislike anything new so I suspect you have an old P4 or something.

Farchord
Lost somewhere.

join:2004-08-28
Shawinigan, QC
kudos:1

said by rogersmogers :

said by elwoodblues:

said by TSI Andre:

Your link

It could be your computer. We know how you dislike anything new so I suspect you have an old P4 or something.

HTTP 500 is a server error, not client error, the page is generated by the server.

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7

2 edits
reply to jpaik

This seems as good a place as any to ask.

OK, some points:

First, I'm NOT getting that error on Andre's link, and did not know until now that TSI offers such a service.

Since last Spring, when Yahoo began to p!ss many of us off (for an increasing number of reasons to date), I have been researching and testing alternate WebMail providers - at first other FREE ones, and then those which need to be PAID, and in some cases which will also host for a domain which you may already have (though that last part is not important to ME).

Factors which DO matter to me have included the features and functions of their WebMail interface, how to import/migrate mailboxes of existing accounts to the new service, storage and traffic limits, in what country their servers are located (some folks do not like servers to be in USA any more), other politics, and of course price.

During that time, I considered about a dozen other FREE services, starting with the OTHER free 'big guys' (who in many cases also offer PAID services), and some less-known ones, and then began to look at the PAID ones, which is where I ran into RunBox and FastMail, which seem respectable, and some others.

RunBox is in Norway (strict security laws), and has their servers there.

FastMail is in Australia, and has their servers in USA.

Some PAID providers which are IN Canada is PolarisMail of Montreal, and HushMail of Vancouver.

Questions, to help us to fine-tune suggested choices :

(1) Does your client need the provider to host for domain(s) which they already have, or just to provide email and webmail at THEIR domain(s) ?

(2) How big is the company's budget ?

I have been compiling a spreadsheet of these and other providers info, and may say more about it in another post.

Cheers !

--

My new mantra is 'MMM' (Move Mouse Minimally).

We have only 2 things about which to worry :
(1) That things may never get back to normal
(2) That they already HAVE !
-
START Forum »Start Communications

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7
reply to MaynardKrebs

said by MaynardKrebs:

Try »www.csec-cst.gc.ca - they're happy to host your mail for free, and they're Canadian-based. They offer unlimited mail retention.

I believe that also there is a similar profile provider in USA.

Their name escapes me just now, but I think it includes the letters, N, A, and S, not necessarily in that order.

jpaik

Hamilton, ON
reply to Davesnothere

said by Davesnothere See Profile...

Questions, to help us to fine-tune suggested choices :

(1) Does your client need the provider to host for domain(s) which they already have, or just to provide email and webmail at THEIR domain(s) ?

(2) How big is the company's budget ?

I have been compiling a spreadsheet of these and other providers info, and may add more in another post....

Thanks for the questions.

1. The client has their domain email being hosted on-premises. Wants to move to an external hosting service and shut down their email server. I will point MX record to new host.

2. Like to keep cost to $5.00/mailbox/month, or less.

Some factors that matter to me: provider has a webmail client (Users will also use IMAP client-side software like Thunderbird, Entourage); email can be migrated to new host - - it's not coming from an Exchange server; users can import their contacts; there is ease-of-use mailbox management for end-users; there is ease-of-use admin management for the overall.

HTH
--

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4

www.scalar.ca

Not sure of their price point.
They provide Zimbra hosted mail services

Cyborg994

join:2005-04-18
Montreal, QC
reply to jpaik

If you want exchange hosted email, Sherweb is decent, hosted in Montreal and based in Sherbrooke.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to Farchord

said by Farchord:

HTTP 500 is a server error, not client error, the page is generated by the server.

Don't feed the Troll
--
Every government has its Secret Service branch: America, CIA; France, Deuxieme Bureau; England, MI5. NATO also has its own.

BoogaBooga

join:2004-06-12
Canada
Reviews:
·VMedia
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to bbbc

said by bbbc:

FastMail and Runbox are the top companies for independent providers specializing in just mail. FastMail just introduced calendars and it has a nice webmail interface.

+1 for fastmail. Recently moved away from gmail and the interface loads faster than google.

jpaik

Hamilton, ON
reply to jpaik

Thank you everyone, for the great suggestions! I'm taking a hard look at a few of the many providers you brought into the discussion.
--