All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
pcm2a
join:2009-06-27
Hermitage, TN

pcm2a

[Equip] Forwarding traffic form Comcast Business Class modem to router?

I have had comcast business class for 6+ years and during that time I had 1 static ip address. Into my SMC modem I had 2 cables, one going to a server using the static ip address and one going to a router for "everything else". I no longer need the server and static ip address and the prices have increased from $5 to $15 so I canceled it.

I now have:
cable line->SMC Comcast->Asus Router
SMC Comcast: 10.1.10.1
Asus Router: 10.1.10.2

What I cannot figure out is how to forward ALL incoming traffic to the router. If I try to access my computer via RDP the traffic is not getting past the SMC Comcast modem.

Lan:
-> Static Routing: Empty
-> Filtering: Empty
Firewall - Firewall Options:
-> Disable Firewall for True Static IP Subnet Only: Checked
-> Disable Gateway Smart Packet Detection: Checked
-> Disable Ping on WAN Interface: Unchecked
Firewall - Port Configuration, Website Blocking, DMZ, NAT: Nothing configured

I tried adding 10.1.10.2 to the DMZ but then I had no access to the internet. I also tried leaving 10.1.10.2 in the DMZ but unchecking Firewall for True Static IP and then I had internet but traffic still isn't forwarded to 10.1.10.2!
pandora
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Outland

1 recommendation

pandora

Premium Member

I never liked the SMC router / cable modems, and just dumped the Comcast SMC for my own cable modem. No problem with Comcast business for many years. My time with the SMC device was very very short. If you can, pick up a supported cable modem.
pcm2a
Hermitage, TN

pcm2a

I've read bunches of posts where the not helpful comments were to replace the modem with one I purchase, try to trick comcast into giving out a different modem, etc.

Lets try to only troubleshoot getting this modem to forward the traffic please. I do realize that most people enjoy spending more money on a modem but I have never had a single bit of trouble in 6+ years and all my traffic was always forwarded before.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

1 recommendation

EG to pcm2a

Premium Member

to pcm2a
Get the SMC placed in to FULL bridge mode by them. Cascading two routing devices = undesirable double NAT. The routing segment of the SMC may be blocking RDP traffic.
robry
Premium Member
join:2007-04-07
Bellefonte, PA

robry

Premium Member

the newer SMCs do not offer that option, the only work-around is a static IP, that's why the OP is asking to do what he's doing. That is the only downside to comcast's business service, if you don't get a static, you don't get handed a 'live' IPv4.
pcm2a
Hermitage, TN

pcm2a

Are you saying there are NO ways to forward ports or traffic to my internal router if I have a dynamic ip address with a SMCD3G?

If that is really the case (hard to believe) then I guess the only option is to downgrade to residential. Lucky for me I'm not in a contract.
pcm2a

pcm2a

I now have both of these unchecked:
Disable Firewall for True Static IP Subnet Only
Disable Gateway Smart Packet Detection

I also have 10.1.10.2 added into the DMZ and all traffic is now forwarded to my Asus router. Working perfectly. No need to get a new modem.
pandora
Premium Member
Outland

pandora to pcm2a

Premium Member

to pcm2a
Whoops, sorry.

train_wreck
slow this bird down
join:2013-10-04
Antioch, TN

train_wreck to pcm2a

to pcm2a
yes. people complain about double NAT, but in reality it shouldn't introduce more than a millisecond or so of delay, if the natting's been done right. if you find the port forwarding to be unsatisfactory on the SMC, look into 1-to-1 NAT as well.
pandora
Premium Member
Outland

pandora to pcm2a

Premium Member

to pcm2a
said by pcm2a:

Are you saying there are NO ways to forward ports or traffic to my internal router if I have a dynamic ip address with a SMCD3G?

If that is really the case (hard to believe) then I guess the only option is to downgrade to residential. Lucky for me I'm not in a contract.

I don't believe the poster is stating that. However you are rejecting the only legitimate way to bypass the many issues introduced by the SMC cable modem with a non-static IP address. Your decision to limit solutions isn't one made by Comcast, but by you. Comcast business static, SMC, no problem, Comcast business dynamic, SMC, problem. Your router won't see the external IP address, UPnP likely can not work. The IP address your router will see with dynamic Comcast IP's will always be a NAT LAN address on your SMC business cable modem / router.
pcm2a
Hermitage, TN

pcm2a

The namecheap DNS client sees my external ip address and updates my domain name without issue. My router is forwarding traffic on all ports without issue (as it always has).

I'll try one of the free DNS sites that my Asus router supports to see if it can successfully figure out my external ip address.

What is the suggested modem that I purchase? I don't want to have to argue or beg comcast to let me swap my modem for the new modem, so it needs to be something they totally support. 6 years ago there was no modem that they would allow me to use except for theirs.

Would purchasing my own modem allow me to remove the $10 a month charge they hit me with?

Update:
Found a comcast site that lists what modems are supported:
»mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/

BC_Modem
@comcast.net

BC_Modem

Anon

said by pcm2a:

The namecheap DNS client sees my external ip address and updates my domain name without issue. My router is forwarding traffic on all ports without issue (as it always has).

I'll try one of the free DNS sites that my Asus router supports to see if it can successfully figure out my external ip address.

What is the suggested modem that I purchase? I don't want to have to argue or beg comcast to let me swap my modem for the new modem, so it needs to be something they totally support. 6 years ago there was no modem that they would allow me to use except for theirs.

Would purchasing my own modem allow me to remove the $10 a month charge they hit me with?

Update:
Found a comcast site that lists what modems are supported:
»mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/

Purchasing and activating your own approved cable modem will indeed allow you to return your leased SMCD3G router and no longer be charged each month for using Comcast's equipment. But be prepared for a hassle...Comcast won't necessarily make returning the SMCD3G easy (I speak from experience).

As for updating your Namecheap DDNS service, I have used their version 2.0.0.6 (beta) client in Windows with no problems. Under Linux, I currently use a Lynx cron script to update several Namecheap hostnames with no problems (ddclient should also work if you are only updating a single hostname, but I had problems with it not being able to update multiple hostnames). The only complaint/problem I have with the Namecheap DDNS service is that it does not yet support IPv6.
pcm2a
Hermitage, TN

pcm2a

I purchased a SB6121 from Target for $66 (price matched Amazon) and installed it myself through the walled garden. Things are working great and everything is forwarded to my router without issue.

I contacted my comcast sales rep and got them to remove the $10 fee and while I was at it she let me know that if I signed a new contract they could lower my price and add some crap tv service. So I have just gone from $109 + $5 (static ip) + $10 modem rental to $90 + $5 (tv) for the same 50/10 service.

My sales rep says I can drop my business class modem off at any of the comcast stores around me and that I should receive no problems dropping it off. She says if I do I should call from there into comcast.

BC_Modem
@comcast.net

BC_Modem

Anon

said by pcm2a:

My sales rep says I can drop my business class modem off at any of the comcast stores around me and that I should receive no problems dropping it off. She says if I do I should call from there into comcast.

Good luck with returning your SMC gateway to a local Comcast office/store. I was told the same thing (except by a BC CSR, not by my sales rep...that person has not returned a phone call or email since the day after the contract was signed). The local Comcast office refused to accept the SMC gateway because they claimed that they only handled residential accounts. I had to schedule a tech visit to have my SMC gateway picked up, and I was charged $99.95 for that visit (I did however, get that charge removed by threatening to file a complaint with the local franchise authority).
pcm2a
Hermitage, TN

pcm2a

I have to have the TV guy come out to install this worthless business class tv, is that like 20 channels? I asked my rep if I could just give the modem to that guy. She said I "could" give it to him but that I wouldnt get a receipt. She said as long as he turns it in I would be safe but if he didn't I would be screwed.
pcm2a

pcm2a

The rep called me back today and said that they can't install BC tv at a residential address and they have canceled my new contract. :-(

BC_Modem
@comcast.net

BC_Modem

Anon

said by pcm2a:

The rep called me back today and said that they can't install BC tv at a residential address and they have canceled my new contract. :-(

Yep, they require that your business be physically located at an address that is zoned for commercial use, and that you have a customer waiting room and/or an employee lounge area where the TV outlet is to be installed.

train_wreck
slow this bird down
join:2013-10-04
Antioch, TN
Cisco ASA 5506
Cisco DPC3939

train_wreck

said by BC_Modem :

Yep, they require that your business be physically located at an address that is zoned for commercial use, and that you have a customer waiting room and/or an employee lounge area where the TV outlet is to be installed.

not sure how true that is mayne, i've had BCI at my house (most definitely zoned residential) for over a year, and currently pay for basic BC TV because it's insanely cheaper to do that than to get internet-only. In fact, just got a letter from them saying they're encrypting basic cable & are sending me some sort of decryption device that i'll never use.

that said, i've heard that certain homes require re-wiring of some sort for BCI, and that certain HOA's forbid that and so these people can't get BCI.
pcm2a
Hermitage, TN

pcm2a

I took the modem into my local office today. They scanned a barcode on the modem, verified my name, printed a receipt and removed the monthly charge from my bill. Easy breezy.

AnonMan
@comcast.net

AnonMan

Anon

FWIW part of your original issues was in:

SMC Comcast: 10.1.10.1
Asus Router: 10.1.10.2

You can't have a router plugged into a router to double nat and both be on the same subnet. The routing can't work properly. You would have needed one to be something different beyond just that last number. So like Comcast 10.1.10.1 and your Asus 10.1.11.1 etc.

OR just use your Asus router as an AP and the Comcast one as a router.

That said, I know it's too late now but just wanted to share that.

End of the day I think you made the better choice. Less money for them and less junk for you to use

Now short of cap concern why stay business at all? Maybe you can save more bucks going to res.
pcm2a
Hermitage, TN

pcm2a

I had placed 10.1.10.2 in the DMZ on the SMC router (10.1.10.1) and it was working great at forwarding all traffic to my router. You are correct that I am saving $15 a month now, I should have done this a while back.

I have thought many times about switching from business to residential. However, I work from home and use the connection for work 10+ hours a day. I fear reliability issues if I was to switch to residential service. I have some friends ~5 miles away and they have problems all the time that comcast describes as too many people online at the same time in their area. In 6+ years my service has only gone out a handful of times and I have never once had to have someone come out to my house.

I also do run servers and I do use VPNs. I'm sure I could do that without BC (because I did it before I had BC) but on BC it is supported. I don't think I go over that 300 gig cap (or whatever it is) but I surely would rather not worry about it.
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44

Premium Member

They dont like instaling business tv in residential environment just as they dont want to install residential tv in a business environment. Of course YMMV on whether they actually pick up on it in either scenario