join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

1 edit

darcilicious

Premium Member

Cold and Windy and Wet and Snowy

(and currently snowing in Salem, OR )

...VERY COLD AIR RETURNS TO THE PACIFIC NORTHWEST THIS WEEK...

CONFIDENCE IS INCREASING THAT VERY COLD CONDITIONS WILL OCCUR DURING THE MIDDLE TO LATTER HALF OF THIS WEEK. THERE IS STILL UNCERTAINTY ON HOW COLD IT WILL GET...BUT INLAND VALLEYS ARE LIKELY TO EXPERIENCE NIGHTTIME TEMPERATURES AS LOW AS 10 DEGREES LATER IN THE WEEK. THE COLD AIR WILL BEGIN TO MOVE INTO THE AREA TODAY WITH THE COLDEST TEMPERATURES EXPECTED WEDNESDAY AND THURSDAY. TEMPERATURES WEDNESDAY THROUGH FRIDAY WILL BE AT LEAST 15 TO 20 DEGREES BELOW NORMAL IN MOST AREAS.

IN ADDITION TO THE COLD...THERE WILL BE STRONG EASTERLY WINDS. THE STRONGEST WINDS WILL BE AT THE WEST END OF THE COLUMBIA GORGE AND THE WIND-PRONE AREAS OF THE SOUTH WASHINGTON AND NORTH OREGON CASCADES AND FOOTHILLS. WIND GUSTS OF 75 MPH OR MORE CAN BE EXPECTED AT THE WEST END OF THE GORGE. WIND CHILL READINGS WILL DIP INTO THE SINGLE DIGITS IN PORTION OF THE WILLAMETTE VALLEY AND GREATER VANCOUVER METRO AREA...BUT BELOW ZERO IN THE GORGE...AND APPROACHING 20 BELOW ZERO IN THE CASCADES.

CONFIDENCE IS MODERATE TO HIGH THAT A PACIFIC WEATHER SYSTEM WILL ARRIVE ON SATURDAY WITH A BRIEF PERIOD OF WINTRY WEATHER TO PARTS OF THE REGION. SNOW...SLEET...AND FREEZING RAIN ARE POSSIBLE...BUT CONFIDENCE IS LOW ON THE SPECIFICS AT THIS TIME.

RESIDENTS ON THE WEST SIDE OF THE CASCADES SHOULD BE PREPARED FOR AN EXTENDED PERIOD OF VERY COLD CONDITIONS. THOSE PLANNING OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES SHOULD STAY TUNED TO THE LATEST FORECASTS.

Brrrrrr!

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

Re: Cold and Windy

the winter FINALLY shows up.
We NEED the snow in the mountains but not severe freezing in the low lands.

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor

said by tshirt:

the winter FINALLY shows up.

I would've been just fine without it...

I just wanted to post this with a subject of "Brrrr...." but Darci beat me....

Not sure where's that "Clear" forecast for today came from - it was partly cloudy in Bellevue, a few snow flurries around Bothell for a mile or two, and then cold and cloudy here....

And with a distinct possibility of a somewhat white weekend, at least for a little while.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

Ditto: on the "clear" forecast for today. It snowed the entire afternoon in Salem but for whatever reason, there was no accumulation -- I guess the ground wasn't cold enough. Roads were mostly dry / ice free driving home so that made me happy on my 50 mile commute

Yeehaw!

Significant snow and ice is expected over a broad area this
weekend including the valleys and lowlands. There remains
uncertanty in the timing of this event... but it appears that snow
will begin Friday night and increase Saturday. There is also
considerable uncertantity on when snow will turn to freezing
rain... and finally to rain.

darcilicious

darcilicious

Premium Member

South of Salem, OR is Albany where there have been lane closures (in both directions at times) due to crashes.

Got to Salem for work where it was snowing and turned around to come home again to work remotely -- anything to avoid what will be the crazy commute in about 5-6 hours (Was hoping to work at work until about noon or so but never mind!)

No snow here yet, but it's cold (21F) and overcast so any time now we'll be getting our 3"-7" (Forest Grove is in this weird pocket, at the base of the coastal range so we usually get a tad more than our neighbors just 5 miles to the east...)
darcilicious

darcilicious

Premium Member

And with the wind gusts up to 35 mph here it's actually looking a little blizzard-y out there now that it's snowing...

aurgathor
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor

Wow!! We seem to be having some really strange weather: it's the 2nd time this year when there is lots of snow down in the middle of OR, but we don't have anything significant up here. Not that I'm complaining, though.

I remember one such event during the late 90's: drove down to Vancouver with a friend, and he couldn't go back to Seattle for several days days because we had so much snow in Vancouver, while Seattle barely got anything at all.

As of a few minutes, partly cloudy and kinda cold.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

It IS odd, I agree.

And... they're already predicting a second storm to hit tomorrow afternoon though they're not quite sure where between Eugene and Vancouver, WA it will end up just yet. "Narrow band of precipitation but with accumulations of 6"-12" likely" !!

It's been snowing heavily now here for 2 hours and is supposed to continue into the evening. Convinced hubby to leave work shortly after lunch thankfully or this might have been him:

(Actually not really, he's from Sweden and this is oh so boring for him! )

maximus_808
Proud Veteran
Premium Member
join:2001-08-27
Rainier, WA

maximus_808 to darcilicious

Premium Member

to darcilicious
Click for full size
This is looking out my front window. I was down in Keizer this morning for work but left around 1 to head north.
The wind out of the gorge is ridiculous mixed with this snow. Should be a fun couple days.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR

darcilicious

Premium Member

Be careful out there -- I hear the wind + snow in Troutdale is making for some bad driving conditions!

maximus_808
Proud Veteran
Premium Member
Rainier, WA

1 recommendation

maximus_808

Premium Member

That's an understatement. I'm glad I got home when I did.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

7" in less than 7 hours... and counting

It seems to be tapering off finally... until tomorrow possibly!

A SECOND LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM... SIMILAR TO TODAYS WEATHER SYSTEM... WILL TRACK INTO THE OREGON COAST... AND SPREAD SNOW INTO NORTHWEST OREGON FROM THE SOUTH BEGINNING MIDDAY FRIDAY. A RELATIVELY NARROW... BUT INTENSE WEST TO EAST ORIENTED BAND OF SNOW WILL LIKELY THEN DEVELOP ACROSS NORTHWESTERN OREGON FRIDAY AFTERNOON AND EVENING. LOCALIZED ACCUMULATIONS OF 6 TO 12 INCHES WILL BE POSSIBLE... BUT EXACTLY WHERE BETWEEN EUGENE OREGON AND VANCOUVER WASHINGTON REMAINS UNCERTAIN

Gizy
Have you thanked a soldier today?
Premium Member
join:2002-08-26
Midwest

1 edit

1 recommendation

Gizy to darcilicious

Premium Member

to darcilicious

Re: Cold and Windy

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Eerily empty I5
Click for full size
My apt complex
Click for full size
The subaru looks good in white.
Click for full size
My upstairs walkway.
Click for full size
Snow drift problem - that's the patio door.
Sorry for the picture quality.
We drove from Vancouver, WA to Eugene, OR today for work. Two hours to go south, which is about right, but we did get snow starting about Salem. Missed the mess in Albany. Six hours back. Didn't miss any mess. At one point I was out of the car telling my coworker whether or not she would clear a car we had to get around. And then nothing. No one was on I5. But the T-Curves were hell for an hour. For those not from the area....it's 5 miles, maybe, that I'm talking about.

To say traffic was a NIGHTMARE today is an understatement. I was planning 1/2 tomorrow and off Monday and Tuesday.....I'm debating making it in tomorrow. At least I can go surface streets if I have to.

That being said, the Subaru, once I had it back (we took a rental with 4WD today) was a dream. I've never driven in snow like this. I was out, mostly after 7pm, when the roads were clear, so if I made mistakes, I'd only hurt myself....and it was awesome. I'm so glad I bought it in September.....even if I was taught an expensive lesson in one day Oh and heated seats - ARE AWESOME!!!!
William18
Premium Member
join:2010-04-18
Washougal, WA

William18 to darcilicious

Premium Member

to darcilicious
Yesterday was 14°F and winds up to 40 mph, windchill down to at least -10°F.

This morning, no wind, 15°F. Guessing 6 inches of snow with deeper drifts.

Top it off, we have no water, for the 2nd time, last one was with December arctic air when an outside faucet sprung a leak, that was an easy fix, not sure about this event.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious to Gizy

Premium Member

to Gizy
So glad you're safe and sound! And then you had fun to boot in your car Great pix, thanks for sharing -- mine are all going to be from my doorstep unless I walkabout some today -- which I might... with the ol' camera
darcilicious

darcilicious to William18

Premium Member

to William18
Yikes! Hope it's another easy fix and you're not long without water!

Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium Member
join:2010-01-13
Dupont, WA

Voxxjin to Gizy

Premium Member

to Gizy
Thanks for the pix. We only got a dusting up here. My kids were bummed.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

It started snowing again about three hours or so ago now. Going to go for a quick walk in a bit and then get cozy for the night. Current radar forecasts indicate it might taper off by 8:30p or so and then pickup again after midnight, sheesh.

Gizy
Premium Member
Midwest

1 recommendation

Gizy

Premium Member

It's been snowing/flurries for probably 3.5 hours here too. Not much but it's pretty to watch, now that I'm in for the night.

I bought the essentials on the way home tonight - coffee creamer, sandwich makings, preztel bread, wine - you know the essentials If I go out again this weekend, I'll probably fill the gas tank (it's at half now). I'm making snickerdoodle bread muffins later so the apartment will smell yummy!
»makingmemorieswithyourki ··· e-bread/

I just need roads from Vancouver to Portland to be passable from say 6pm until 11pm. I'm headed to the PBR with coworkers/friends for my bday and this is one event I really don't want cancelled or have to miss!

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

2 recommendations

darcilicious

Premium Member

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size

Pictures from our walk just before dinner... I expect we'll have about foot of snow by morning...

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

2 recommendations

tshirt to Gizy

Premium Member

to Gizy
Happy birthday Gizy! Take a blankey just in case you need a night in the car.

Gizy
Premium Member
Midwest

Gizy

Premium Member

I'll walk home first
But yeah, we're prepared when we go beyond just Vancouver.
William18
Premium Member
join:2010-04-18
Washougal, WA

William18 to darcilicious

Premium Member

to darcilicious
Thursday morning lost electricity for ~8 hours, house was 49 when power came back on, during that outage pump house interior just got too cold and froze a bit, already a have a light in there for warmth and Friday morning put a heater in there and now we have water. No leaks anywhere. Glad it was an super easy fix.

Currently: cloudy, 21°F, light easterly breeze (as far as I can tell).

maximus_808
Proud Veteran
Premium Member
Rainier, WA

maximus_808 to darcilicious

Premium Member

to darcilicious
Click for full size
Click for full size
Just started snowing again here. I got a bit of a drift going at my front door.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

We've had an estimated 8" or so in the last 24 hours with another 2-3" expected before it tapers off. It doesn't seem like we'll get the ice storm that is hitting points south -- the temps are are staying below freezing for now. And it looks like it will be more snow for us over night.

CRAZY!!

aurgathor
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor

Cold, but nice and sunny this morning, although it's getting cloudy, and so we may also be on tap for some precipitation.
aurgathor

aurgathor

said by aurgathor:

and so we may also be on tap for some precipitation.

Confirmed.

And it is snow -- looks to me it's about 1.5" or so.

Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium Member
join:2010-01-13
Dupont, WA

Voxxjin

Premium Member

Got about 2 inches here. Just enough for the kids to sled on the hill near the house. First time my dogs have experienced snow. The one dog doesn't seem to care one way or the other. The black-mouthed cur has been having fun running and rolling in it. I'm just finally glad that we got some snow. I just wish it had been a work day

aurgathor
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor

If you commute, you do not want snow on a work day. While we're highly unlikely to be in situation like Atlanta, things can and do become bad.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

We got some sleet and freezing rain yesterday evening (and possibly overnight); while I haven't been outside yet to check it, it seems like it was a lot less than predicted for the larger area and the duration has been reduced to noon today from 10 this evening (yay!). We're supposed to be above freezing today for the first time in a week (I think) and 47F by tomorrow afternoon (more yay!)

I have 10" of snow on my car and the local highways in and out of town are packed snow (we have very few snowplows in the county because we only get snow like this every 4-5 years). I doubt that I will head to work (south 50 miles) until Tuesday.

The ice storm was much worse to the south of us where they got quite a bit more ice coating everything.

Highway 47 looking south out of town:

My car unmoved since Friday morning:

Snow-covered tree:

I'm totally ready for the great meltdown