Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2
reply to elray

Re: You can lead a horse...

said by elray:

But you can't get them to punch in an HD channel number.

Dish took care of that as their different generations of HD receivers came along. On the previous generation, the SD and HD channels were duplicated side-by-side (ch 140 SD and 140 HD, for ESPN, were right next to one another). The "real" HD channel was way up high in the 9000 range as well. You also had a setting to show "only SD", "only HD", or both. On the latest generation, i.e. the Hopper, out of the box they have it defaulted to "only HD".

Oh, you forgot to mention that SD channel on their huge flat screen being stretched to fill the screen !!

Skippy25

join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO
In all of AT&T's wisdom you have to tune to the 1000 channels for HD on uVerse.

You would think all of these morons would make it so HD settings on the receiver only = HD channels coming from it (when available). If I set the receiver to do 1080 widescreen, then I clearly dont want to see your 480 crap boxed up on my screen.

smcallah

join:2004-08-05
Home
reply to Hall
TWC boxes also tune to the HD channel now if it is available and you're using an HD box, it's been that way for a while.

The people that had this outage were either using an SD only box, a TiVo, or some other tuner.

raybrett

join:2001-02-20
Saint Louis, MO
reply to Skippy25
Skippy, you are welcome to your opinion. Just don't try to force your option on me. I choose whether I watch SD or HD and I would not want to be forced to watch HD just because I happened to set my receiver to 1080 widescreen.

elray

join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·EarthLink
reply to smcallah
said by smcallah:

TWC boxes also tune to the HD channel now if it is available and you're using an HD box, it's been that way for a while.

The people that had this outage were either using an SD only box, a TiVo, or some other tuner.

Not in Los Angeles.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Hall
said by Hall:

said by elray:

But you can't get them to punch in an HD channel number.

Dish took care of that as their different generations of HD receivers came along. On the previous generation, the SD and HD channels were duplicated side-by-side (ch 140 SD and 140 HD, for ESPN, were right next to one another). The "real" HD channel was way up high in the 9000 range as well. You also had a setting to show "only SD", "only HD", or both. On the latest generation, i.e. the Hopper, out of the box they have it defaulted to "only HD".

Oh, you forgot to mention that SD channel on their huge flat screen being stretched to fill the screen !!

my grandpa only has SD boxes I tell him to call for the credit....
--
Live Free or Die Hard...

Skippy25

join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO
reply to raybrett
I am not forcing crap on anyone, but if you set up your TV for HD then you would expect HD by default and conveniently available.

If you are the 1 out of 1,000,000 people that set your HD TV up and want SD on it then too bad. Why should the other 99,999,999 deal with that stupidity for the one.

And I will say, if you choose to watch SD when HD is available to you for the same content on an HD TV, then you either A.) Are an idiot or B.) Just being a PITA to be a PITA (yes I am judging) as there is no logical argument you could possibly make to choose SD over HD on an HD tv.