join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..
reply to Simba7

Re: 100Mbps?

Both Sprint and AT&T are large enough to be able to set up Microwave links between their towers and a school that needs connectivity. Hey, perhaps they can rent space on top of the school if it's big enough to improve Wireless connectivity in general.

But if all of this is strictly LTE to the device, rather than LTE to the building, then that changes things. Hopefully at a minimum they improve cell service inside of schools. Most of the schools in this area are like faraday cages. Step inside, and no matter if there's a tower behind the building you're not going to get solid 2G service.

jsuboh

join:2002-06-13
Earlimart, CA

1 recommendation

A lot of these services are for students that take home Chrome Books or Tablets. Many students/parents cannot afford internet services at home. Since many classrooms are becoming digital per Common Core Standards, these services will allow to student to achieve their academic goals. These services would be proxied through content filters to prevent access to inappropriate sites based on the school policies.

BiggA

join:2005-11-23
EARTH

That makes a bit more sense, but I'm still trying to figure out what they're doing that requires internet access...

BiggA

EARTH

In my experiences, granted I was living in an affluent town, the school computers were the butt of all the jokes because everyone had a years newer model with faster everything at home.

jsuboh

join:2002-06-13
Earlimart, CA

Hi,

Now a days, because of Common Core and SBAC online testing, schools are updating and incorporating newer technology. I work for a small district in which we have 500 iPads and are also evaluating Chrome Books. Common Core Standards are incorporating Technology into the lessons and are requiring students to use technology to complete their assignments. We have a nearby District in which they gave all their students Chrome Books and a WiMAX Gateways to allow students internet and school network access from home. Our teachers are using Google Docs, Edmodo, and other cloud based solutions to manage their students and classroom assignment. Mind you, we are doing this at a K8 school district with the earlier grade levels involving the introduction to the technology.

BiggA

EARTH

Wow, I didn't realize that. I guess when I was in school (I graduated high school in '08) this stuff was in it's infancy, so we thought it was all a joke and would never go anywhere. We had PCs and whatnot, but other than the teacher projecting stuff up off the computer, they were never a big part of what we were doing.