Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

[Appliances] Need a new Microwave

My Kenmore Microwave (I think it dates back to around 2007) is jumping the shark. I'm looking to buy a new microwave, $250 tops (may spend more depending on features) from an appliance store or home center, not the junk from target or walmart. I bought Microwaves from Sears in the past with the Kenmore label and had good luck but I've heard rumors Sears appliances have gone downhill. Should I buy another Kenmore or should I look to buying one at Home Depot/Lowe's.

What brands are good, what features should I look for.

This would be a countertop microwave. I'd like a over the range microwave but I don't have the wiring for it (the range hood is on a shared circuit, you'd think the builder would think of that ahead of time).
--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner and I currently have DirecTV. They are much better than broadcast TV.

I have not and will not cut the cord.

hsindogg
Premium
join:2002-06-21
Potomac, MD

1 recommendation

I got this one: »www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009K···F8&psc=1 for $135 a few months back.

I got it for the inverter feature, and at 1250W and 1.6cuft, it's a great bang for the buck.

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL
reply to IowaCowboy
I've had great success with Sharp, but that Panasonic in the previous post looks like a winner also.
--
So put me on a highway, and show me a sign.
And take it to the limit one more time...

Msradell
P.E.
Premium
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY
reply to IowaCowboy
We have a Panasonic much like the 2nd poster in this thread has except ours is the larger 2.2 ft.³ one. I certainly would recommend it or one similar. Whatever you end up with make sure you get one with the Inverter technology! It makes a huge difference, it basically regulates the power of the microwave instead of just turning it on and off to simulate low-power. They cook and defrost much more evenly than the old-style ones do.

pike
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-01
Washington, DC
kudos:3
reply to hsindogg
We bought that model at Target in June 2012. We barely ever nuke anything: the occasional leftovers, a potato here and there, and maybe a cup of coffee that cooled off. After approx 50 uses, one of the two plastic hooks that latches the door snapped off.

Interestingly, my employer bought the same one late last year for the lunch room. After a few months, it failed in the same exact place. I told the guy in charge of the P-card this and suggested instead he look in to a nice commercial Amana unit for the lunch room. The next day I came in and he had purchased the same exact microwave again.

hsindogg
Premium
join:2002-06-21
Potomac, MD
Uh oh, I'm probably on use #45!

pike
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-01
Washington, DC
Sarcasm aside, hopefully there was just a brief run of poorly made latches and yours lasts longer. Everything else about the unit was great. The inverter function is fantastic for re-heating leftovers - a huge improvement over the old "full power/no power" cycles of older-style ovens.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to IowaCowboy
Look for the features you want...

mityfowl
Premium
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX
reply to IowaCowboy
Back when I repped Sharp microwaves the choice was always between Sharp and Panasonic.

Granted that was a long time ago, but if you use a microwave often you will appreciate the (true) sensors.

tp0d
yabbazooie
Premium
join:2001-02-13
Carnegie, PA
kudos:6
reply to hsindogg
said by hsindogg:

I got this one: »www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009K···F8&psc=1 for $135 a few months back.

I got it for the inverter feature, and at 1250W and 1.6cuft, it's a great bang for the buck.

I have _exactly_ the same unit, thing works great. My daughters beat the crap out of it, still nukin along.. Bout 1.5yrs old now..

The 'Sensor Reheat' actually gets the center of the food warm, something that no other micro could do.. Guess its the inverter.

would buy again (got it free via rewards points tho.. muahaha)

-j
--
if it aint broke, tweak it!!
currently on FiOS (kick aZZ!)

nonymous
Premium
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ
reply to IowaCowboy
Panasonic here though have not bought one in years as it just keeps working. I alao have hear good about shard. The price should be less than 150 for even a big one with good features. Now I do know prices have seem to risen on a lot of stuff in the last year or so.

davidhoffman
Premium
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA
reply to IowaCowboy
I have the Panasonic 2.2 Cubic foot model. In use for several years. We have a similar Panasonic one at work. In use for several years. No problems with either one. Both are the models with just the smooth panel touch buttons, not the ones with the dial knob or protruding selection buttons.

Beezel

join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV
reply to IowaCowboy
The last one I bought was a Panasonic with the inverter tech when they first came out. I got at least 8 years out of it before the magnetron went.

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
reply to davidhoffman
said by davidhoffman:

I have the Panasonic 2.2 Cubic foot model. In use for several years. We have a similar Panasonic one at work. In use for several years. No problems with either one. Both are the models with just the smooth panel touch buttons, not the ones with the dial knob or protruding selection buttons.

+1

I've got a GE OTR in this house; but had the Panasonic for years before that; and it was a few years old when I got it in the first place.

Still use the Panasonic in the basement for popcorn and microwave pizza and stuff in the bar. Works great.

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
I have one of these - works great

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEywGpIt0vw

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
reply to LazMan
I'd love to have a over the range microwave (the counter here is crowded) but the range hood is on a regular lighting circuit. I think microwave range hood combos need to be on a dedicated circuit and that would be more work than I'm willing to do on someone else's house and there are no available spaces in the circuit breaker panel. If I did pursue it I'd hire an electrician due to the work involved but that more money than I'm willing to spend. Like I said I only want to spent $150-200 tops. But an over the range microwave would be nice as I'd love to free up valuable counter space. Microwaves are much more common these days than they were in 1988.

You'd think the electrician/builder would run a dedicated circuit for the range hood in case the occupant/owner ever wanted to install a microwave/hood combo in the future. I wonder if they do that in new construction but not commonly back in the late '80s. A lot of construction these days factors in future retrofits and future use.
--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner and I currently have DirecTV. They are much better than broadcast TV.

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
I've done a bit of work in subdivion houses lately - and unless there was an OTR microwave spec'd in the build, the range hood has been on the kitchen lighting circuit, without exception; and these are houses built within the last year.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
I know this is a little off topic but on the subject of future proofing is with commercial restrooms the trend is those waterless urinals (made by Falcon WaterFree Technologies) and one of the code requirements with those is fresh water has to be piped to the fixtures and capped off, so if the building owner wants to pull them out and go back to traditional flush urinals, the building owner won't blame the plumber.

Same could go for electricians if a homeowner/occupant wants to convert a range hood to a microwave/range hood combo. I wouldn't be surprised if this future proofing comes out in future revisions of the NEC. You don't want the homeowner blaming the builder then builder blaming the electrician scenario if the homeowner goes to convert to a over the range microwave.

But then there is the clearance factor where there has to be a minimum distance between the top of the range and the bottom of the micro hood unit. My range is a freestanding range that we purchased, the unit the landlord provided was falling apart (it's sitting in the garage and going back in if we ever move). The one I have has a ceramic cooktop and digital oven controls.

Range is a Kenmore.
--

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
said by IowaCowboy:

I wouldn't be surprised if this future proofing comes out in future revisions of the NEC.

That is the type of thinking that drives up housing costs.

Msradell
P.E.
Premium
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY
said by robbin:

said by IowaCowboy:

I wouldn't be surprised if this future proofing comes out in future revisions of the NEC.

That is the type of thinking that drives up housing costs.

At least it helps save some long-term costs for many homeowners. What really burns me and many others in a lot of the NEC requirements such as Arc Fault breakers, Tamperproof Receptacles and GFCI circuit in areas other than kitchens, bathrooms and outdoors! Those significantly increase costs or providing no benefits to the homeowner.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
Springfield, MA
I see the benefit of tamper proof receptacles, my mother said I used to play in the outlets as a kid and I was lucky I didn't get fried. Tamper proof outlets are to supplement but do not replace parental supervision.

Babeez

@shawcable.net
My son is almost 9. We has regular old school receptacles and never used the bs plastic baby proofing plug things. We had a baby gate setup at the top of the stairs and I baby proofed one cupboard as his mom thought it wS funny to let him open the Tupperware cupboard and pull everything out, so I had to put a stop to that.

My work around for this "lack" of baby proofing? Keeping an eye on him at all times.

joewho
Premium
join:2004-08-20
Dundee, IL

1 edit
reply to IowaCowboy
LOl, when I was a kid I put my finger in a socket and got zapped. When I was napping later I dreamed that I put my finger in the socket and a nasty monkey pulled me through the wall.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
reply to hsindogg
Thats the one i got only mine is stainless[to match the other appliances]
--
Despises any post with strings.

joewho
Premium
join:2004-08-20
Dundee, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to IowaCowboy
I have the same panasonic, also in brushed stainless. It's my second one. Gave the first one away when I moved cross country. It is the best bang for the buck and I got a good price on it at walmart. Never had a problem with the button, but I was warned about it by an appliance guy.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
reply to IowaCowboy
My appliances are the traditional white, I don't have the money for the stainless steel.

My refrigerator is white, my stove is white, but my portable dishwasher is black (which was popular for appliances for appliances from the late '90s). Maytag appliances from that era were built to last because I bought that portable dishwasher in 1999 and have not had a single problem (knock wood).

Try buying a dishwasher today that lasts that long, the throwaway grade appliances today will be on the curb in a few years. And with the cost of parts and labor, it's cheaper to replace the appliance.

The landlord stove I put in the garbage was almond but that was popular back in the '80s.
--

Beezel

join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV
I remember my moms Golden Harvest from back in the 70's. ;P