uniqs

DaveDude
No Fear
join:1999-09-01
New Jersey

1 edit

DaveDude

[Rant] comcast wont even check TWC without account info

So i make the mistake of contacting comcast support here, so i told them twc lo8 crashes almost daily. The rep didn't know what twc l08s was, and said they needed my account info . How hard is it to have someone check a pc at the head-end or turn on , one of their channels ? This is why Direct tv is looking better. Comcast can take their service and weather station, and shove it.
Cable Employ
join:2012-07-23
Saint Paul, MN

Cable Employ

Re: [Content] comcast wont even check TWC without account info

They need your account information to see what headend/hub you feed from, and possibly what node out of the hub you are on.

Locally we have two headends, and about 30 hub sites. We have multiple cities that are served from two or more hub sites. So for anyone to know exactly where the problem may be originating they need specific information.

DaveDude
No Fear
New Jersey

DaveDude

So if i said Hillsborough NJ how many feeds would there be ?

Orlando 57
@comcast.net

Orlando 57

Anon

They can look up your account with your phone number if you do not know what your account number is.

Edrick
I aspire to tell the story of a lifetime
Premium Member
join:2004-09-11
San Diego, CA

Edrick to DaveDude

Premium Member

to DaveDude
twc l08s? Google brought up no results, so what exactly are you talking about? Time Warner Cable? L08 what?

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by Edrick:

twc l08s? Google brought up no results, so what exactly are you talking about? Time Warner Cable? L08 what?

He means The Weather Channel's Local-on-the-8s program segments: »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lo ··· n_the_8s
telcodad

1 edit

telcodad to DaveDude

MVM

to DaveDude
Read this on reporting a LOT8s problem, by using the “Contact Support” link on the right side of the page: »feedback.weather.com/kno ··· olution-

Edrick
I aspire to tell the story of a lifetime
Premium Member
join:2004-09-11
San Diego, CA

Edrick to telcodad

Premium Member

to telcodad
Well in that case I hope he actually said The Weather Channel Local on the 8 other wise why should he assume they just knew what he was talking about.

Per his question though the call center reps dont just have a TV sitting there for them to check if the channels working. Also how do they know what headend you're coming out of if you don't give them your account info? DirectTV is still going to ask for account info.

The OP do you realize that the programming is injected at different headends and could be a local issue? Thus the comcast rep needs to lookup your account to speak to the correct person on the backend to check the status.

Sounds to me like someone else who gave the rep a hard time for no reason.

gar187er
I DID this for a living
join:2006-06-24
Seattle, WA

gar187er to DaveDude

to DaveDude
said by DaveDude:

raritan, brunswick and trenton, plus whatever hubs those sites have, i would guess you have about 6 options.
Comcast Guy
join:2008-01-16
Harrisburg, PA

Comcast Guy to DaveDude

to DaveDude
said by DaveDude:

This is why Direct tv is looking better.

Not if you want Local On The 8s.

DaveDude
No Fear
New Jersey

DaveDude to gar187er

to gar187er
said by gar187er:

said by DaveDude:

raritan, brunswick and trenton, plus whatever hubs those sites have, i would guess you have about 6 options.

Well Hillsborough doesn't serve Trenton, New Brunswick , or raritan. I guess there must be like 5000 hubs serving a single zip code!
DaveDude

DaveDude to Comcast Guy

to Comcast Guy
said by Comcast Guy:

said by DaveDude:

All of NBC must good, its all trash
gustavenla68
join:2011-02-24
Carlisle, PA

gustavenla68 to DaveDude

to DaveDude
said by DaveDude:

said by gar187er:

said by DaveDude:

Well Hillsborough doesn't serve Trenton, New Brunswick , or raritan. I guess there must be like 5000 hubs serving a single zip code!

It very well could be based on network infrastructure. Sometimes it is cheaper and easier to serve different parts of a town from different hubs then to build a another hub for that area.

PaulHikeS2
join:2003-03-06
Fitchburg, MA

PaulHikeS2 to DaveDude

to DaveDude
You are clearly just looking to fight. If you cannot grasp the concept that a rep needs account info to assist you, you are either extremely young and inexperienced in life or are another alternative that would be rather unfriendly to post. Representatives need to open trouble tickets that will route to the correct deparment based on account location information.

gar187er
I DID this for a living
join:2006-06-24
Seattle, WA

gar187er to DaveDude

to DaveDude
you asked an infrastructure question, I gave you an answer; those are the closest systems. if your going to refute me, then please offer some proof.
Comcast Guy
Harrisburg, PA

Comcast Guy to DaveDude

to DaveDude
said by DaveDude:

said by Comcast Guy:

said by DaveDude:

All of NBC must good, its all trash

DirecTV doesn't carry the Weather Channel.
Joe12345678
join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

Joe12345678

they have a channel that shows weather not reality shows

mikedz4
join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

mikedz4

yes they do have weather nation and they are probably getting accu weather channel which Comcast probably won't.
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

3 edits

rody_44

Premium Member

I hope they dont pick up weather nation. That would be a total waste since its streamed live 24 7 and sucks anyway compared to the weather chanel.
As far as accu weather station, no one even knows what its going to be or who is all going to air it. It doesnt even go 24 7 till the third quarter this year.
Comcast Guy
Harrisburg, PA

Comcast Guy to Joe12345678

to Joe12345678
said by Joe12345678:

Which has nothing to do with Local On The 8s, which was the basis for his complaint. Switching to DTV won't fix his problem if it is that important to him.

Personally, I have no idea why everyone is so up in arms over weather channels in the first place. This isn't the 1990s. I do love TWC's claim that they "save lives" though. That's...something.

DaveDude
No Fear
New Jersey

1 edit

DaveDude

said by Comcast Guy:

said by Joe12345678:

Which has nothing to do with Local On The 8s, which was the basis for his complaint. Switching to DTV won't fix his problem if it is that important to him.

Personally, I have no idea why everyone is so up in arms over weather channels in the first place. This isn't the 1990s. I do love TWC's claim that they "save lives" though. That's...something.

And so do apps on phones, weather radio, and regular radio. But Comcast support is pathetic . Serious please tell me how many unique "weather channels" serve the town of Hillsborough NJ ? And if you were to look into your system , info you already have, how many would there be ? If someone from comcast cant figure out why a head end PC keep crashing from that info. Then comcast really cant handle support.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

1 edit

DocDrew

Premium Member

said by DaveDude:

Serious please tell me how many unique "weather channels" serve the town of Hillsborough NJ ?

When you're dealing with national support, the easiest way to figure out what headend is serving a customer is to look at their account. Plenty of cities and towns can be split between 2 or more cable headends due to company buy outs over the years. It's not so much unique weather channels, but where the specific headend gear generating your LO8s is located.

In my part of SoCal, I know of a couple cities split between 2 different headends (Comcast owed one, TCI the other, now TWC owns both) and 1 city fed 2 different channel lineups due to county/city agreements (a Comcast/Adelphia situation). At one point all had different Weather Channel local on the 8s fed to them... all from another headend not directly serving any of the cities (they had the sat downlink and receiver). Signal flow and distribution of channels isn't exactly obvious just based on a city name.

Why guess and possibly contact the wrong one?

Also looking up the account may bring up internal notes about known problems and outages in the area.

As far as turning on a TV to check, do you expect support to have a TV with hundreds of different channel line-ups Comcast generates for all the areas across the country? Even if they did, they'd need to know exactly which line-up you're receiving.... which would be listed on your account.

Intell
@rcn.com

Intell to DaveDude

Anon

to DaveDude
U have so much time to make complaints about ccomcast and threats to go to a provider that doesn't even carry the weather channel....why not just go to weather channels website to get local info?
Comcast Guy
Harrisburg, PA

Comcast Guy to DaveDude

to DaveDude
The support is pathetic because they asked for your account number? That's rich.

They ask because it shows your Corp (billing system/area), and can tell them where you are located. They have opened more Call Centers and they take calls from everywhere. Plus, the CSRs that answer those calls are required to follow protocol or they get docked points and can be disciplined if they do not comply with it.

They treated your issue normally.

DaveDude
No Fear
New Jersey

3 edits

DaveDude

said by Comcast Guy:

The support is pathetic because they asked for your account number? That's rich.

They ask because it shows your Corp (billing system/area), and can tell them where you are located. They have opened more Call Centers and they take calls from everywhere. Plus, the CSRs that answer those calls are required to follow protocol or they get docked points and can be disciplined if they do not comply with it.

They treated your issue normally.

Honestly because of comcast support i cancelled once. The constant upselling on support calls. I told the person on the phone to call the manager there, and let me speak to them, I cancelled because of the upsell on support calls. I miss the days of patriot media, they knew support and didnt have nasty support people. Well comcast "normal" is a failure. Also i didnt speak to call center, it was support here
NightOwl2
join:2012-03-19

NightOwl2

Upselling on calls, whether support or sales, by CSR's is required for most providers, whether Time Warner Cable, Charter, Cablevision/Optimum, Cox, you name it. I used to work in Quality Assurance and agents are docked points, as Comcast Guy states, and even lose their employment for a certain number of failures in whatever time period the call center has. It's not even cable/internet, I have a friend who works for a major utility provider and offering services such as Auto-Pay is required. And support is often a combined function, many reps are trained in numerous functions. You could press 3 for technical assistance and call back for an ugrade and get the same person.

If the CSR gives out information without verifying the customer's location, the accuracy of that information is compromised. And again that is a violation of the company policy and a strike against the agent. I've worked on both sides, CRS and manager, and some customers try hard to manipulate the conversation to an absolute: for instance, if I don't pay my bill, I won't be disconnected until 8:00 a.m. on the 21st. Correct? when actually it could be anytime after midnight.

DaveDude
No Fear
New Jersey

DaveDude

there is a thread about upselling in the comcast forums, and its total disrespect towards customers.

Vladimir
@rcn.com

Vladimir

Anon

This is not a personal attack Dave dude. There are many legit complaints here against comcast. U seem to have a problem that a company runs things their way and it doesn't revolve around just you. They do things for a reason as a business and many people here have given examples to justify their actions, u just don't get it d u?

DaveDude
No Fear
New Jersey

DaveDude

said by Vladimir :

This is not a personal attack Dave dude. There are many legit complaints here against comcast. U seem to have a problem that a company runs things their way and it doesn't revolve around just you. They do things for a reason as a business and many people here have given examples to justify their actions, u just don't get it d u?

I dont care about Comcast's bottom line.
Comcast Guy
Harrisburg, PA

2 recommendations

Comcast Guy

said by DaveDude:

said by Vladimir :

I dont care about Comcast's bottom line.

Unfortunately for you every company does. Just realize that they are for profit and that you'll have to deal with it. Cable TV is a luxury item. If you don't want it, you don't need it. Just stop paying for it. Seems like you'd be happier.