spc
Search similar:

uniqs

c0mc4st
join:2007-03-14
Vallejo, CA

c0mc4st

quick question about 45/6 upgrade

i already asked this in Direct but i'll ask here for your thoughts...
i'm already on uverse with good service using coax (tech didn't want to run cat5 under the house)

everything is fine but we want to upgrade to the power tier.... tech is coming out thursday... now, everything is currently set up for 1 line and it's on coax... but this house's coax cable line is actually 2 coax cables

i realize that power tier is 2 lines and they require a new cat5 line put in for installation, but what about the case where there are already 2 coax lines running through the house? since it was ok for service in the lower uverse tiers, would 2 work for the power tier?

ILpt4U
Premium Member
join:2006-11-12
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

ILpt4U

Premium Member

It would be doable to home run the bonded VDSL2 on 2 coax lines, but I doubt most techs would. It would require 2 baluns at the NID side (one for each VDSL2 link), and then 2 more @ the modem side to convert back to twisted pair to feed the modem

I would say make the basement/crawl accesible so the tech can run Cat 5 NID to Modem

c0mc4st
Vallejo, CA

c0mc4st

yeah i was afraid of that. darnit. thanks
Ryoohk9
join:2014-01-25
Midland, TX

Ryoohk9 to c0mc4st

to c0mc4st
yeah i had the same issue, i ended up running shielded cat 5 for him
nrobot80
join:2012-12-05
Union City, GA

nrobot80 to c0mc4st

to c0mc4st
I'm a tech, the NVG589, the RG used for Bonded pair, doesn't support coax home runs. I tried it and it would not sync up. If you decide to upgrade to the power tier then an new Cat5 home run will be needed. Here in the Atlanta market we are forbidden to use any coax home run at all. If we come to a house with a coax home run then it better be on cat5 when we leave. They are even pushing for putting STB on cat5. Word coming down the pipe is Uverse will support up to 5 wireless boxes sometime this year and totally aboonon any use of coax by year end. Then again that is just a rumor

c0mc4st
Vallejo, CA

c0mc4st

thank you for the reply. i rearranged some stuff inside the garage so he can have access to both the wall which has the nid (outside) as well ass a hole accessing the crawl space under the home... i think he'll be able to pull the cat5 through the wall inside the garage opposite the nid then i guess staple it up the wall and across the garage ceiling then down to the little hole that access the crawlspace... this is the same run the coax is so i don't see it being an issue for him... if he doesn't mind getting dirty under the house.
Paralel
join:2011-03-24
Michigan, US

Paralel

I can verify for you, 100%, the only options for the NVG589 to get the bonded pair signal is Ethernet (for optical terminals, people that have Fibre that comes right up to their house), or the RJ-14 port (phone jack). There is no option for coax.

c0mc4st
Vallejo, CA

c0mc4st

the upgrade took 9 hours. not sure why but he was here from 9 am to a little after 6pm. he didn't even run a cat5 under the house. he found a phone line that was not in use

with 2 tv on that was my speed wired in

ILpt4U
Premium Member
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

ILpt4U

Premium Member

I wonder what took 9 hours? Obviously not a new wire run to the modem, as it sounds. Did the tech have to run a new Service Wire/Drop from the Pole/Ped?

Call back, get a tech to actually run Cat 5, as is required, and get the Motorola/Arris internal battery, again as is the standard.

But ultimately, that is your choice on that.

Is the existing phone line under the house already Cat 5 or higher?
ILpt4U

ILpt4U to Paralel

Premium Member

to Paralel
said by Paralel:

I can verify for you, 100%, the only options for the NVG589...There is no option for coax.

The Coax port on the NVG589 is an HPNA port, not an xDSL or xDSL/HPNA combined port. I agree.

However, there is nothing stopping someone from using a Balun @ the NID to convert the xDSL signal from Twisted Pair to Coax, and then using a 2nd Balun @ the Modem location, to convert the xDSL signal from Coax back to Twisted Pair. And if you need 2 xDSL signals for Pair Bonding, there is no reason this could not be done on parallel Coax runs, each carrying one of the bonded lines.

I have seen Coax home runs for 2Wire 3600s -- and those modems have NO Coax port. The "two balun" method was employed, though

c0mc4st
Vallejo, CA

c0mc4st to ILpt4U

to ILpt4U
Downstream Sync Rate (kbps) 25377 30053
Upstream Sync Rate (kbps) 2408 3660
Downstream Max Attainable Rate (kbps) 44384 57008
Upstream Max Attainable Rate (kbps) 2408 3660
Modulation VDSL2 VDSL2
Data Path Interleaved Interleaved
Downstream Upstream Downstream Upstream
SN Margin (dB) 16.6 0 17.6 0
Line Attenuation (dB) 33.3 0 33.5 0
Output Power(dBm) 14.2 1.8 14.2 2.5
Errored Seconds 0 0 0 0
Loss of Signal 0 0 0 0
Loss of Frame 0 0 0 0
FEC Errors 1011 0 499 0
CRC Errors 0 0 0 0

After spending 9 hours waiting for him to fix it, i don't feel like having to go through it again. it was a pain in the ass. plus, i'm getting what i wanted anyway (minus the battery)

ILpt4U
Premium Member
Saint Louis, MO

ILpt4U

Premium Member

The pairs are out of balance, as well, which could potentially be a source of future trouble

It is your choice -- it can be left as is and see how it goes, but if you have an off-day coming up, I'd schedule a tech visit, if you can get it in
Paralel
join:2011-03-24
Michigan, US

Paralel to ILpt4U

to ILpt4U
said by ILpt4U:

said by Paralel:

I can verify for you, 100%, the only options for the NVG589...There is no option for coax.

The Coax port on the NVG589 is an HPNA port, not an xDSL or xDSL/HPNA combined port. I agree.

However, there is nothing stopping someone from using a Balun @ the NID to convert the xDSL signal from Twisted Pair to Coax, and then using a 2nd Balun @ the Modem location, to convert the xDSL signal from Coax back to Twisted Pair. And if you need 2 xDSL signals for Pair Bonding, there is no reason this could not be done on parallel Coax runs, each carrying one of the bonded lines.

I have seen Coax home runs for 2Wire 3600s -- and those modems have NO Coax port. The "two balun" method was employed, though

I just can't imagine what the two balun solution does to the signal. Yuck.