how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

RhinoCan

join:2013-12-20
h0H 0HO

Teleconferencing lags badly

I'm new to TekSavvy having just gotten activated for the first time a week ago. My download speed is fine and is on or even slightly above the 6 Mbps I ordered (Cable Lite 6) so that's great. However, my upload speed is rather poor. At the moment, my ping time is 18 ms, my download speed is 5.92 Mbps, but my upload speed is only 0.27 Mbps.

I'm concerned that this is why I am experiencing very significant delays when using AnyMeeting teleconferencing; it rates my download as A but my upload speed is rated D. Video/audio delays are VERY noticeable. If I ask the person at the other end to wave immediately, it takes close to 30 seconds before they move. The teleconferencing in question involved only two people, me (in London Ontario) and a friend on Vancouver Island.

Am I correct in believing that my upload speed is the bottleneck here? If so, what can I do (or have TekSavvy do) to get past this problem? If the upload speed is NOT the problem, what is?

oceros

join:2013-07-20
St Thomas, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Hi-Speed
6 down 0.25 mbps up is a normal rogers network speed.

Trying to do teleconferencing could very well give you issues with such a low upload speed. You could consider bumping up to cable 25 - upload speed is 2mbps instead of 0.25

You could potentially plug your computer directly to the modem and bypass any router. This also ensures only your computer doing the teleconference is accessing the internet at the time. Still, with 0.25 mbps up, you probably aren't going to see a difference.

vtrickzv

join:2013-11-05
Canada
reply to RhinoCan
.25 is barely enough for TekTalk - audio only. For video you will need quite a bit more than that. If you want your video conferences to run smoothly you may need to upgrade the package you are on.

TSI Jonathan
Premium
join:2011-08-24
canada
kudos:10
reply to RhinoCan
Hi RhinoCan,

Feel free to reach out to us in the direct forum also so that we can assist or if you have any questions about changing your package to accommodate your needs.

Cheers,

TSI Jonathan
--
Online Experience Manager
Authorized TSI employee - Teksavvy Solutions Inc.

Ares45
Premium
join:2007-11-14
Toronto, ON
reply to RhinoCan
Your upstream isn't poor, it's exactly what you're paying for. Upgrade your plan and it should be fine.

BoogaBooga

join:2004-06-12
Canada
I wish they'd just make all sub-10mbit plans symmetrical. 250kbits is just terrible. Even legacy dsl was at least 800kbps ages ago.

RhinoCan

join:2013-12-20
h0H 0HO
reply to RhinoCan
Thanks everyone for explaining that I am getting the full speed I paid for and that this speed is inadequate for teleconferencing, especially the video portion. I can't afford faster right now but, so far, I don't need the teleconferencing anyway; I was just doing an experiment and normally use a faster connection elsewhere to teleconference.